• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Food Blogs and Recipe Sites

cookingwithamy

Wondering which blogs are favored among egulleters, and any other top pick lists, in addition to the ones listed that received notice in Forbes best food blogs and Gourmet of course.

Personally some of my favorites are:

http://101cookbooks.com/

For the Forbes and Gourmet list:

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2003/09/3...d_0930food.html

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/i...rmetarticle.jpg

Is this limited to blogs outside eGullet?

We have several worthies here for your perusal. :biggrin:

My top five eGullet food blogs are:

Mongolia, Seriously (Ellen Shapiro)

Pim's foodblog (pim)

Eating Holidays In Japan (torakris)

A Semi-Atkins Food Blog (ronnie_suburban)

and

A Day With Curdnerd (Ellen Shapiro)

Who needs foodblogs on the Internet, when I have eGullet? :biggrin:

Soba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My favs are:

NYC Eats (does a lot of published review round-up & some original reviews as well)

Chocolate and Zucchini (Paris based food obsessed, written in english)

Walker New York Eats (very frank from an amateur, more of a recipe blog)

And a shameless plug for my own :rolleyes:

Adventures of a Gastronome in Training

Jennie aka "git"

Jennie Auster aka "GIT"

Gastronome in Training

A few years ago there was a blog called "Kitchen Slave" or "Slavegirl". It followed the exploits of a Bay Area html programmer that pined for a culinary career. She was "volunteering" time at a restaurant and got to be really tied to the chef and the mostly Mexican kitchen staff. I haven't been able to locate it for a year a two. I was wondering if anyone else was familira with this site and knows what became of slavegirl?

Terrarich

Crashed and Burned Cook

Current Wannabe

• 1 month later...

Today's Dumpling IMBB has excited me so, that I got to thinking about the magic of the internet and its ability to pull such disparate people from all factions of creed and color and race...its so wonderful...Altough I do little to participate in this community (I am young and new to all of it), I appreciate that I have the resources to become very involved in cooking and all of its flavors...

Now, so I can find some new favourites, please list the blog (or blogs) that you love and frequent and the ones that are most inspiring...It would be interesting if you could mention a certain blog that started your interest in some type of food (or any little tidbit story).

Mine are shoikdelicios.com and chocolateandzucchini.com, mostly because I love looking at the wonderful pictures (its sad, I know).

and finally...I am a Philly native, but I dont see many Philly blogs or websites...so if you know of any I would appreciate it if you shared them with me...

Now, so I can find some new favourites, please list the blog (or blogs) that you love and frequent and the ones that are most inspiring...

hi shinyboots~!

here are a few of my flavourite foodblogs:

http://www.mum-mum.info/blog.htm

http://foodgoat.blogspot.com/

http://joyofsoup.com/

http://www.nyceats.net/

enjoy,

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Today's Dumpling IMBB has excited me so, that I got to thinking about the magic of the internet and its ability to pull such disparate people from all factions of creed and color and race...its so wonderful...

Well, nice to hear that you liked the dumpling theme and the IMBB idea... since I'm the one who started it :biggrin:

Maybe a little explanation on IMBB wouldn't go amiss, I'm not sure everyone knows what it is. "Is My Blog Burning?" is a food bloggers cook-together. Each month a different blog hosts the event and choses a theme. I had the idea once I noticed how certain recipes would appeared on different blogs very close to another, sometimes even on the same day. The name is a little joke, I just thought that one thing that every cook has in common is sooner or later burning something. There have been seven editions already, counting this one on Dumpling hosted by Jarrett of life in flow, and there's already more planned. In case anyone's curious here's the previous ones: soups, tartines, cakes, rice hosted by Pim, fish and grilling and barbecuing.

(Edited to stop running in circles, right :wink: ?)

Edited by albiston (log)
Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Is this limited to blogs outside eGullet?

We have several worthies here for your perusal.  :biggrin:

My top five eGullet food blogs are:

Mongolia, Seriously  (Ellen Shapiro)

Pim's foodblog  (pim)

Eating Holidays In Japan  (torakris)

A Semi-Atkins Food Blog  (ronnie_suburban)

and

A Day With Curdnerd  (Ellen Shapiro)

Who needs foodblogs on the Internet, when I have eGullet?  :biggrin:

Soba

I also challenge anyone to find "blogging" as stimulating as the best we have here. Of course, our "foodblogs" are a slightly different format--but that leads to some pretty interesting results.

When people make those blogs elsewhere on the net, they are basically "vanity" things. Most blogs are occasional commitments, where your best and most carefully planned endeavors are prettied up and broadcast out to the world.

The eGullet blogs bring a new perspective. These are by people who don't have either the nature or time to commit to an ongoing but occasional blog, but who feel they have something worthwhile to say on a more intense (but compressed) stage. The buy-in is one week--a mere WEEK of their lives--but it has to be a total commitment for that week.

The result, I think, is more honest. Sure, they often plan special meals for the week, and sure they often push their own limits to show off. That's human nature. But the combination of the short time frame, and the insistence that they tell us about EVERY meal in that period (no matter how mundane), is unique and refreshing.

We toyed with the idea of changing the name to "Weekly Food Diary" so people wouldn't confuse them with "blogs" like "Walker NY Eats". But "blog" is so ubiquitous a word, it's tough to change.

Not that there's anything wrong with "normal" blogs--they are just less intense. In fact, one of our REALLY long-term goals is to try and construct some kind of directory of these sites, but we've been waiting for some changes in our board software which will accommodate that before we steam ahead with that.

Cooking With Amy is kind of cool. I'm also always kind of amused by the Frost Street blog, because this guy is a lawyer who's trying to build his creds as a Foodie, and I can't help but think of our own "Fat Guy" Steven Shaw--who's kind of living the dream this guy is still working on.

Also, and I mean this with all my heart: Fuck Corporate Groceries. No, I mean that's what the blog is called--I'm not just saying that for the kick of being crude. Heh. :laugh: And I wonder how Pizza obsessed you have to be to always have time for a Slice.

EDIT - I swear. I wrote the plug for "Cooking With Amy" without even seeing who started this thread. Since I enjoy Amy's work, I'm overjoyed she's here. Heck, even my follow-up with Frost Street was a coincidence--I literally just flipped through my Bookmarks and picked those two out in that order.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"