• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cliffs Steakhouse - Englewood Cliffs

dknyc1

I had been asking for reviews for a while & nobody reponded so I finally checked it out myself.

I had high hopes as it is practically across the street from where I live.

Went Friday 3/9 with wife, 6 year old daughter & in-laws.

6:00 pm & there was only one other table occupied. When there food came out as we were being seated we all smelled something great & were told it was the porterhouse for 3 - smelled as good as Lugers.

So, for the 4 adults we had porterhouse for 3, tomato & onion & caeser salad.

The tomato & onion I was told was very good, but tomato was little under Luger quality - may just be the season.

Steak was very good - perfectly cooked - great flavor.

My daughter had a burger she enjoyed.

We were told chef worked at Lugers & there was a housemade sauce on the table that we all felt was identical to Lugers.

Excellent service & very pretty decor.

Total bill with a few drinks was $160, before tip.

We will definitely be back regularly - even if it wasnt so close to home.

When we left, theplace was about 3/4 full.

I recommend everyone try it.

is the steak dry-aged? is the menu similar to luger's? (steak for two, bacon, lamb chops). did you notice if they have a burger on the menu?

if it's a luger's clone a la Ben & Jack's and Wolfgang's, it could be a real contender for the River Palms, which are currently probably the best bet for dry-aged steak in northern jersey, especially if you prefer porterhouse.

Edited by tommy (log)

is the steak dry-aged?  is the menu similar to luger's?  (steak for two, bacon, lamb chops).  did you notice if they have a burger on the menu?

if it's a luger's clone a la Ben & Jack's and Wolfgang's, it could be a real contender for the River Palms, which are currently probably the best bet for dry-aged steak in northern jersey, especially if you prefer porterhouse.

yes. yes. yes.

no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to go this weekend. I've heard some nice things from a few friends -- good service, attentive, quality steak, well cooked/prepared, etc.

Looking forward to it.

Eric

Edited by ELA (log)