• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So the japan forum has a mochi thread and I thought I'd make one for here, because well koreans eat a lot of rice cake or mochi. I was wondering, when koreans call their rice cakes mochi? Is it for those soft white mochi that are stuffed with red beans and rolled in cornstarch or do they call all rice cakes a type of mochi? Very confusing.

Anyways what are your favorite kinds and do you make them at home or do you buy them?

My favorite rice cake growing up was the rainbow rice cake (usually layers of green, yellow, pink, and white) and the mochi that my mother cut into squares and rolled in ground mung beans. I also like the green mochi that was rolled in some time of brownish powder. If you had leftovers, you could always fry them up in a frying pan and they would get very soft and incredibly chewy.

As I got older I got more and more into my mother's homemade rice cakes that were made with brown sugar, glutionous rice, raisins, and chestnuts. There was also the big mochi sheet that was covered in crushed red beans.

these are just a few of my favorites, do you know any of their names cause I don't

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena - I like the pink, green and white ones in the middle left of this picture. Also the powdered/sesame covered mochi balls with bean paste filling which I featured in my blog.

gallery_48583_4079_316322.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

As I got older I got more and more into my mother's homemade rice cakes that were made with brown sugar, glutionous rice, raisins, and chestnuts.

This was my absolute favourite kind, so much so that my students would bring me exclusively this for treats. I think there's sesame oil in there somewhere, isn't there? And my students thought it was really funny that I liked this one, because I guess these days it's only popular with grandmothers. I got the same reaction whenever I admitted to liking mul kimchi.

Is it possible that your mum knows the recipe for this one? Could you post it? I'd love to have it again, and maybe bring it in for my coworkers here, since they're always sharing lovely treats with me.

Aren't the mochi all called ddeok? I can't remember anymore...:(

There was also the big mochi sheet that was covered in crushed red beans.

This one always comes out at birthdays, and I think when you move into a new home. I could never choke it down - the mixture of ddeok and dried red bean was like a recipe for choking.

I also enjoyed the soft pillowy pink/yellow/green balls. I could buy them at the supa around the corner from my work, and share them with the Japanese teachers.

Edited by nakji (log)

This was my absolute favourite kind, so much so that my students would bring me exclusively this for treats. I think there's sesame oil in there somewhere, isn't there? And my students thought it was really funny that I liked this one, because I guess these days it's only popular with grandmothers. I got the same reaction whenever I admitted to liking mul kimchi.

that just made me laugh, because I call that kind of rice cake "ajumma rice cake" cause it's so old fashioned! My mother loves the stuff and makes it when it gets warmer out and for korean thanksgiving.

I'm actually going to see my mother next week and I will ask her how to make it. I know she doesn't follow a recipe, so it could be difficult. Maybe she will make some for me and I will use my sister's digicam to take pics. I tried to get her to make the mochi stuffed with red beans, but she didn't have time the last time I was visiting.

the white, green, and pink rice cakes are usually stuffed with some sort of mashed bean...probably mung bean

I think the green square rice cake is rolled in some sort of malty powder. I used to think it was mung beans, but I am probably wrong

So the japan forum has a mochi thread and I thought I'd make one for here, because well koreans eat a lot of rice cake or mochi.  I was wondering, when koreans call their rice cakes mochi? Is it for those soft white mochi that are stuffed with red beans and rolled in cornstarch or do they call all rice cakes a type of mochi?  Very confusing.

Anyways what are your favorite kinds and do you make them at home or do you buy them?

My favorite rice cake growing up was the rainbow rice cake (usually layers of green, yellow, pink, and white) and the mochi that my mother cut into squares and rolled in ground mung beans.  I also like the green mochi that was rolled in some time of brownish powder.  If you had leftovers, you could always fry them up in a frying pan and they would get very soft and incredibly chewy. 

As I got older I got more and more into my mother's homemade rice cakes that were made with brown sugar, glutionous rice, raisins, and chestnuts.  There was also the big mochi sheet that was covered in crushed red beans.

these are just a few of my favorites, do you know any of their names cause I don't

My mother used the term for all of them. Kind of like Pizza (just cheese, pepperoni, everything, etc.)

I forgot about the raisan ones - your mom roll them in sugar? The red bean paste are my favorite and the mung bean ones are ok, but the gooey raisan ones rolled in sugar are awesome.

I forgot about the raisan ones - your mom roll them in sugar? The red bean paste are my favorite and the mung bean ones are ok, but the gooey raisan ones rolled in sugar are awesome.

gooey raisin ones rolled in sugar? what else is in them? The only time I see raisins being used are in that rice cake with the whole kernals of sweet rice that are mixed with brown sugar, chestnuts, pinenuts, etc.

gooey raisin ones rolled in sugar? what else is in them? The only time I see raisins being used are in that rice cake with the whole kernals of sweet rice that are mixed with brown sugar, chestnuts, pinenuts, etc.

She's steam the mochi dough, then top with raisans and put 2 of them together. Steam a little more and them drop them in sugar to cool. There was not any whole rice per se and she never did the pinenuts or chestnuts.