• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine/Patisserie Recs in London?

We visited London 7 years ago, and kept a little vacation journal including names and addresses of places we liked. After a major home renovation, and a trip to London coming up soon, we simply can't find this book.

I remember a couple of pastry places stood out: Patisserie Valerie (which I realize is a chain), another place in Notting Hill, I believe, that was also French-leaning and had a great lemon tart, but there were two others, near Oxford Circus? Basically, any excellent pastries of any type, we'd like to find, so please recommend any.

Second, we like to frequent wine bars with good selections, knowledgeable staff and good food. We lean toward French, Italian, Spanish and Portugese wines, but like any well-made quaff. I have zero recollection of ones we went to before. Any recs here?

Thanks!

For wine bars I would recommend Vinoteca in farringdon (or Celler Gascon (also farringdon) for a more French focused list). I haven't been but i'm told Bedford & Strand (unsurprisingly just off the Strand) is good. If by some misfortune you find yourself in the Leicester Square area the Cork & Bottle is a worth a visit (it's easy to miss so probably get the directions of their website).

For pastries any branch of Paul, the Wolseley or Yauatcha for something a little different.

For wine bars I would recommend Vinoteca in farringdon (or Celler Gascon (also farringdon) for a more French focused list).  I haven't been but i'm told Bedford & Strand (unsurprisingly just off the Strand) is good.  If by some misfortune you find yourself in the Leicester Square area the Cork & Bottle is a worth a visit (it's easy to miss so probably get the directions of their website).

For pastries any branch of Paul, the Wolseley or Yauatcha for something a little different.

I would second all of those, and can confirm that Bedford and Starnd has a very extensive winelist with some interesting choices available, Patissere Valerie - the one in covent garden has now morped into something else (still seems to have Valerie cakes etc though) but generally speaking i think you'll find they have gone down hill since your last visit. Le Pain Quotidien in marylebone or Festival Hall is also great - open Tartine style sandwiches, salads, tarts, gauffres etc galore. This has replaced Valerie in our families affections.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I was passing Patisserie Valerie just by Harrods the other day, and smelled not lovely butter, but nasty cheap fat... It may have been a coincidence, and I haven't eaten anything by them recently. Pual is OK - at least they use butter.

Amazingly light and delicious chocolate eclairs can be had at Apostrophe - there's a branch in Market Place just by Oxford Circus, and I believe it is a small chain - no website appears on a Google search though. They also do sandwiches, whcih have always seemed over-complicated to me, but look like they are made with good bread.

In the Oxford Circus area there is really no contest though - head to Sketch Patisserie on Conduit Street - miniscule cakes but absolutely divine.

There is also Konditor & Cook - not as sophisticated as Sketch, but lovely cakes nonetheless - I adore the orange & lavender cake. Link to website is here:

http://www.konditorandcook.com/

Amazingly light and delicious chocolate eclairs can be had at Apostrophe - there's a branch in Market Place just by Oxford Circus, and I believe it is a small chain - no website appears on a Google search though. 

That's because they've spelled it "a p o s t r o p h e" on the title page. An amateur mistake.

Sadly, I've also found their sandwiches to be amateur mistakes: pre-built, meanly filled and constantly teetering on the brink of staleness. Plus their coffee's awful, they charge a hefty 50% percent more than the norm, and the interior has a machine-tooled franchiseability that engenders zero goodwill.

Airy eclairs or otherwise, I declare myself not a fan.

I would second the recommendation for William Curley. It's a tiny shop in a narrow street off richmond high street, so there's not a huge number of places to sit. When the weather is nicer they have a couple of tables and chairs outside. The hot chocolate is also very good. The chocolates are also excellent - highly recommended. I bought my wife some chocolates & marron-glace - she didn't offer me any so that means they must have been really really good!

I would second the recommendation for William Curley. It's a tiny shop in a narrow street off richmond high street, so there's not a huge number of places to sit. When the weather is nicer they have a couple of tables and chairs outside. The hot chocolate is also very good. The chocolates are also excellent - highly recommended. I bought my wife some chocolates & marron-glace - she didn't offer me any so that means they must have been really really good!

Curley is good for pastries. L'artisan and Melt are both better for chocolates.

Ottolenghi is fabulous for pastries, they bake everything on sight.

As opposed to baking it blind :raz:

Hullo m'dear hows things going? What's happened to the GastroC blog?

lah

J

GastorC blog is on hold, to be honest am just too busy with school at the moment. I am currently studying for the diploma from Leith's which is probably the most intensive course I have ever undertaken. My masters in history seems like a breeze in comparison! My nerves are particularly frazzled in preparation for the four hour practical examination tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone else for your recommendations.

Certain members have PM'd me about Basildogs restaurant so I will be sure to check it out.

Thanks again