• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modifying a U shaped kitchen to a galley kitchen

SG-

I’m in the process of remodeling my kitchen and have been working with a designer on a couple of option for my fairly cookie cutter tract housing 8ft ceiling U shaped kitchen. First off I started down the path of keeping the same U shape however my designer threw out modifying it into a galley kitchen instead. (see pics)

Traditional U

gallery_8352_4340_31772.jpg

Galley Alternative

gallery_8352_4340_31944.jpg

Will changing to a galley layout significantly reduce your storage at all? It's hard to tell based on the two different perspectives, but it looks like the galley island is significantly longer, with seating at the wall end. Would the island be any different in width for either configuration? My concern would be having to round the end of the galley island (potentially behind guests?) to get from fridge to sink or stove. What are the overall dimensions of your space?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm with Jennifer... the traffic flow looks off somehow. I'm not seeing a benefit in the change?

edited to ask: what is the space around the kitchen?

Edited by Jambalyle (log)

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Perhaps it's the diagram of the proposed galley kitchen that I'm having trouble with, because I can't seem to figure out where the sink and the range (or stovetop are). I have a galley kitchen which I love, but I can stand at the stove, and reach the fridge and the sink, plus I can gate it off to keep the disabled child away from the fridge and the hot stove when I'm cooking.

Is this a totally enclosed kitchen? Or does it open to another space without door?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The dimensions for the kitchen are 17Ft x 14ft. There is a 6' sliding door on the opposite end of the wall where the window by the sink is located.

Cabinets length planned currently is 12" lengthwise for either design.

It is an enclosed kitchen. On the left of the kitchen is the backyard, on the right is the formal dining room and the opposite end of the range is a glass atrium.

The width of the island would remain the same but would be double in length for the galley layout. The actual seating area for the island will be the opposite of what is shown in the drawing.

The kitchen, sink, fridge for the galley design are depicted in the second picture.

My motivation for the galley kitchen is to maintain a consistent flow of the cabinet on either wall. Additionally the wall where the range is currently against I would add a couple of additional windows at the top to allow for more natural lighting. I could also hang a flat screen TV for viewing while dining on the island.

Thanks for the questions. Look forward to any additional feedback or ideas. These darn kitchen renovations cost a bomb!!!!

I really like the idea of the galley-style layout you have. Is there a special need to have the cabinets set back from using the full length of the walls? I'm speaking to that foot or so left of the walls, dangling on the bottom of your galley picture.

Have you given any thought to moving the fridge to the end in that space on the side of the sink? You would have to lose some of the counterspace along that wall but you still have the island which seems to have a bit of work surface and you would have a workable fridge, sink, stove triangle.

In place of the fridge on the upper right, I would continue the storage for an entire wall of floor to ceiling storage. ::swoon:: very modern too.

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I like it--especially since the seating will be moved to the "open" end of the island. I like the look of the long, clean, tall wall of cabinets with the fridge (looks from the drawing like it's integrated--true?) and the fact that you're getting an additional window. Have you considered putting double wall ovens in that same long wall and just having a cooktop in the island?

What about venting for the cooktop? The only issue I can see with your plan is the visual mass of having a vent hood hanging over the island, interfering with the line of sight as you're standing at the bottom of your drawing looking towards the new window. Maybe it won't interfere if you're sitting, eating, and watching that new flatscreen (aren't kitchens a great excuse for new gadgets?), but it may make the space seem more crowded.

Keep posting ideas (and pictures)--those of us in the same boat (and those of us living vicariously through your kitchen) are verrrry interested in how other people make these decisions. And, yes, kitchen remodels cost the absolute bomb! :blink:

-Bekki

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

What about venting for the cooktop?  The only issue I can see with your plan is the visual mass of having a vent hood hanging over the island, interfering with the line of sight as you're standing at the bottom of your drawing looking towards the new window.  Maybe it won't interfere if you're sitting, eating, and watching that new flatscreen (aren't kitchens a great excuse for new gadgets?), but it may make the space seem more crowded.

As someone who just ordered a new island hood, I was thinking the same thing. There are some attractive and relatively unobtrusive ones -- Zephyr, for example -- but they do indeed affect the space. However, if you could live with a cooktop with a downdraft system...

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Do you use the formal dining room enough to justify keeping it as a totally separate formal dining room? If not, you may want to consider eliminating the strict boundary between the two rooms and making a hybrid kitchen/dining space. That would open up a world of possibilities.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think the fridge off the main path in the galley design may end up being annoying....

just wondering that first drawing was that done by a pro?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Half the challenge is knowing how you'll use the space. Having designed and built many kitchens over the years I can assure you there is never a "right answer" But I do find the U has those two under-utilized corners.

Me, I would go with the galley but move the seating part of the island to the other end - so guests are not inside your work triangle. The end wall where the range is now becomes a great spot for non-cabinet storage (instead of that picture of a boat) For example: shallow 5" deep pantry shelves floor to ceiling (that's easily space for 100+ mason jars) How about a 4'x8' sheet of steel and a bunch of magnets? Hang your knives, display family photos, post recipes and notes.

let us know what happens, we want photos!

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I really like the idea of the galley-style layout you have. Is there a special need to have the cabinets set back from using the full length of the walls? I'm speaking to that foot or so left of the walls, dangling on the bottom of your galley picture.

Have you given any thought to moving the fridge to the end in that space on the side of the sink? You would have to lose some of the counterspace along that wall but you still have the island which seems to have a bit of work surface and you would have a workable fridge, sink, stove triangle.

In place of the fridge on the upper right, I would continue the storage for an entire wall of floor to ceiling storage. ::swoon:: very modern too.

N.

Actually there's still going to be another 5 feet of wall space left at the end of the cabinets.

Asked the designer to rework the design with the fridge on the same side as the sink. I agree think it flows better.

Do you use the formal dining room enough to justify keeping it as a totally separate formal dining room? If not, you may want to consider eliminating the strict boundary between the two rooms and making a hybrid kitchen/dining space. That would open up a world of possibilities.

Would love to do what's you're suggesting however concerned about how much more it would increase the budget modifying a load bearing wall.

Here are a couple more pics with the seating area moved to the other end

gallery_8352_4340_13093.jpg

gallery_8352_4340_16039.jpg

As for island hood I was thinking of either of these two options, both are 1200 CFM with baffle design filters for the heavy wok frying. The GE has a built in fan while the viking with a slimmer profile has an external fan. I am somewhat concerned that my 8' ceiling might be unrealistic to pull of the island range look.

Viking

m100270_micro_rangehoods_islandhoods_professional_chimney.jpg

GE

r04653v-1.jpg

Edited by SG- (log)