• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salsa

get in my belly

:biggrin: Hello everyone I have been searching for the past couple of days for salsa ideas here but have not found a thread on the subject soooooooo if you would please give me your favorite salsa recipes . I have a 30 person party that wants gringo mexican style food . Im looking for a good green , chunky , and red salsa . Nothin crazy just the basics . Thank you all so much..........

-GIMB

This probably falls into the "crazy" category you don't want, but I've found that a small amount of diced jackfruit yields a compellingly different texture and very subtle sweetness to even the most generic of salsas. I prefer it to the more popular peach/mango recipes out there.

Ultimately it's all up to the chile, though. As a descendant of native New Mexicans I have a hard time swallowing anything that doesn't come from a tiny field in Chimayo, but if your guests are expecting Chevy's level heat, you shouldn't have any problems with a basic mixture of tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos and maybe a little vinegar.

Weird feeling of deja vu. Didn't I (and others) just answer this question over in...

your other salsa thread?

:blink:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Here's one of my favorites:

Avocado Cherry Tomato salsa

6 ripe, but firm avocados, diced

2# cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

1 red onion, fine diced

2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced

small bunch fresh cilantro (or basil will work)

2-3 limes (fresh juice)

kosher salt

black pepper

olive oil

Slice tomatoes in half and put in large non-reactive mixing bowl and sprinkle with some salt to bring out their flavor. Place diced avocado in another large mixing bowl. Squeeze in the the juice of 2-3 limes and 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and toss lightly to cover. Add chopped onion, minced jalapeno, and chopped cilantro. Add sliced tomatoes. Mix gently. I usually cover and chill for an hour or so before serving, then do a quick adjust with salt and pepper. The jalapenos provide the only "kick" - two is often sufficient.

The proportions are "to taste" and are relative/approximate... I usually make a ton - I typically start by buying a bag of 6 avocados (a couple of days before I need them just to make sure they'll ripen) and 2# of Santa Sweets cherry tomatoes at Costco. You can scale up or down from there.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Weird feeling of deja vu.  Didn't I (and others) just answer this question over in...

your other salsa thread?

You sure did Jaymes , I had just come from there after having posted a second time and searched further for personal recipes . I failed in my search , I then reached out to the broader section of Egullet for advice . Thank you for taking the time to help me on my conquest and bringing it to my attention that someone had finally posted on the Mexican region thread :wink:

GIMB

Weird feeling of deja vu.  Didn't I (and others) just answer this question over in...

your other salsa thread?

You sure did Jaymes , I had just come from there after having posted a second time and searched further for personal recipes . I failed in my search , I then reached out to the broader section of Egullet for advice . Thank you for taking the time to help me on my conquest and bringing it to my attention that someone had finally posted on the Mexican region thread :wink:

GIMB

And I have had sweet salsas. Not my personal favorite, but I think maybe it's a regional thing. And when I say 'regional,' I'm thinking of the US midwest; not regions in Mexico. I've been to some 'Mexican' restaurants in Kansas, Iowa, Missouri that have sweet salsas.

Again, not my thing, but I do address that in my original 'salsa' post.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

This probably falls into the "crazy" category you don't want, but I've found that a small amount of diced jackfruit yields a compellingly different texture and very subtle sweetness to even the most generic of salsas. I prefer it to the more popular peach/mango recipes out there.

Ultimately it's all up to the chile, though. As a descendant of native New Mexicans I have a hard time swallowing anything that doesn't come from a tiny field in Chimayo, but if your guests are expecting Chevy's level heat, you shouldn't have any problems with a basic mixture of tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapenos and maybe a little vinegar.

Hello N D

I Lived for a couple of years with a girl from Jamaica . Her mother made a pudding type thing with Breadfruit I think its the same thing that your talking about . It was good . Ill have to try adding some to the salsa I make (Maybe the one I make for myself :wink: )I am with you I ve lived in Phoenix Az for most of my life and find it absolutely bewildering that people still eat at taco bell here ........mild salsa packets make me angey :angry:

easy salsa that tastes great everytime

roast some tomatos, onions, jalapenos, and a clove of garlic. When the skin is blackened, throw it into a food processor with some lime juice, cilantro, and salt to taste. After the mixture has been pureed, I mix in some unroasted, chopped up tomatos. My boyfriend loves this and I make it for him a lot.

other good options are to throw in some raw or roasted tomatillos, reconstitued ancho chile or guajillo chile and some chipotle peppers

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I Lived for a couple of years with a girl from Jamaica . Her mother made a pudding type thing with Breadfruit  I think its the same thing that your talking about .

They're actually different. Breadfruit is starchy and potato-like; jackfruit is more reminiscent of durian - sweet, complex, and high in sulfur.

I'm curious about what the pudding actually used - having had raw potato in Chinese, I can see how either could make for a unique dish.

Edited by DCP (log)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Here's one of my favorites:

Avocado Cherry Tomato salsa

6 ripe, but firm avocados, diced

2# cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

1 red onion, fine diced

2-3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced

small bunch fresh cilantro (or basil will work)

2-3 limes (fresh juice)

kosher salt

black pepper

olive oil

Slice tomatoes in half and put in large non-reactive mixing bowl and sprinkle with some salt to bring out their flavor.  Place diced avocado in another large mixing bowl.  Squeeze in the the juice of 2-3 limes and 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and toss lightly to cover.  Add chopped onion, minced jalapeno, and chopped cilantro.  Add sliced tomatoes.  Mix gently.  I usually cover and chill for an hour or so before serving, then do a quick adjust with salt and pepper.  The jalapenos provide the only "kick" - two is often sufficient.

The proportions are "to taste" and are relative/approximate...  I usually make a ton - I typically start by buying a bag of 6 avocados (a couple of days before I need them just to make sure they'll ripen) and 2# of Santa Sweets cherry tomatoes at Costco. You can scale up or down from there.

This is my standard recipe as well with the addition of a few cloves of garlic. I just made it last night except I threw in some fresh chunked pineapple as well. I can't get enough of it.

PS: I am a guy.