• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jalapeno Bagels

zhelder

Hi everyone. I'd like to get some jalapeno bagels for some students at the school where I teach. Does anyone know where I can get some? Bergen County is preferred, but I could possibly consider some place in Passaic or Essex counties. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I'd like to get some jalapeno bagels for some students at the school where I teach. Does anyone know where I can get some? Bergen County is preferred, but I could possibly consider some place in Passaic or Essex counties. Thanks!

Jalapeno bagels, huh? To me, bagels ought to come with seeds or salt (or a judicious combination of the two)....nothing else. The OCCASIONAL cinnamon-raisin bagel has been known to be acceptable, but ceratinly none of these new-agey things like blueberries or strawaberries or other strange stuff..... :biggrin:

But anyway....my traditionalist feelings aside....no, I have never seen a Jalapeno bagel anywhere, Bergen County or otherwise. I'm a little surprised by that, now that I think about it. I mean, everything else has found it's way into a bagel, and given the countries general love of all foods southwestern. Maybe you've hit on your very own Million-Dollar marketting idea......

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

The Bagel Box on Eagle Rock Avenue in West Orange sometimes has jalapeno bagels. The bagels are not as good as they used to be from this place, but if you're looking for something that unique, they might fill the bill. They seem to have a smaller assortment of bagels during the week than on the weekend, so you should probably call first. Their number is 973-731-4985. They are in a small strip mall just a block East of Pleasant Valley Way - #642.

NJDuchess

If you don't mind a chain place, Manhattan Bagel does jalapeno bagels that do the trick. There are locations in many places.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Hoboken Hot Bagels at 6th and Washington has an Amigo bagel, which is essentially a jalapeno bagel. It makes the texture a bit weird -- a bit chewier and a bit mealy -- but it's decent for what it is.

I know that's not in Bergen, Passaic, or Essex, but it's not terribly far off.

Christopher

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I ended up going to Manhattan Bagel in Elmwood Park (I never knew they were there!) to get some jalapeno cheddar bagels. The kids enjoyed them! As for me, I thought they were OK, but nothing like a quality local Jersey joint. I've been to Bernie's in Allendale several times before too. OK bagels, but great muffins there, and they're a bit more expensive than most other places. (I guess it costs beaucoup $$$ to rent a store in a zillionaire's town like Allendale.) Nobody makes a bagel like Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn though, but sadly there's no possibility of getting jalapeno bagels there!