• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffed Peppers

LaurieB

I've got lots of recipes for stuffed peppers.  I'm looking for your Grandma's stuffed peppers. 

Let me have em'.

Laurie

Stuffed Peppers (The secret is the parmesan cheese, lots of it in the meat mixture)

3 lbs. ground meat; At least 1 lb of ground pork. The rest ground chuck. If possible include ½ to ¾ lb. of ground veal

12 firm peppers, green, red or yellow

1 onion, chopped

4-5 stalks of celery, chopped

4 -5 carrots, shredded

1 teaspoon chopped garlic

Oil for sautéing

2 pkg pre cooked rice

14 oz can crushed tomatoes

18 oz parmesan cheese

8 oz. tomato sauce

1 tsp dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cans tomato sauce for cooking the peppers

Extra parmesan cheese to add to the top of the peppers

Sauté the onion, celery and carrots until almost soft, set aside to cool.

Combine the ground meat, rice, crushed tomatoes, cheese, tomato sauce and spices and mix well. When the vegetables are cool add them to the meat mixture.

Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the core, membrane and seeds. Stuff the meat mixture into the peppers. Fill completely with the meat mix. Place the filled peppers into a 5 qt pot and add the extra tomato sauce and tomatoes around the peppers. Sprinkle some additional cheese on the top of the peppers. Cover and bake at 350 F for 2 hrs or until the peppers are soft.

Neither my Gran nor my Mum would know what to do with a pepper never mind stuffing, so can I add mine?

I like the small orangey/yellow ones 2-4 inch long and stuff with a mix of goats cheese with thyme, lemon peel and garlic then moistened with a little oilve oil and baked in the oven.

Why do you taunt me with these memories when I can`t get the ingredients :sad:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Neither my Gran nor my Mum would know what to do with a pepper never mind stuffing, so can I add mine?

I like the small orangey/yellow ones 2-4 inch long and stuff with a mix of goats cheese with thyme, lemon peel and garlic then moistened with a little oilve oil and baked in the oven.

Why do you taunt me with these memories when I can`t get the ingredients  :sad:

Sounds like an interesting variation, Henry dV. Stuffed peppers are something I look forward to making and eating in Aug-Oct; abundant and good quality peppers and tomatoes then. So for me, they are really a seasonal dish. If I made ithem another time of year I would definately used canned tomatoes to make the sauce.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sounds like an interesting variation, Henry dV.  Stuffed peppers are something I look forward to making and eating in Aug-Oct; abundant and good quality peppers and tomatoes then.  So for me, they are really a seasonal dish.  If I made ithem another time of year I would definately used canned tomatoes to make the sauce.

Thing I like about it is you only need one or two with a salad to satisfy the beast :biggrin:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Not exactly the kind of peppers you want and not really the kind of stuffing you're looking for, but stuffed peppers none the less.... More of a snack than a meal.

Take large fresh green jalepeno peppers cut off the stem end. Using a table knife and a rotating motion remove the seeds.

Stuff with cream cheese and wrap the end with bacon securing with a toothpick. Place under the broiler cook until the bacon is done. Turn the peppers once in the process.

This is a always a big hit at parties.

This space for rent.