• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GROM - New Artisinal Gelateria

JosephB

so now that Grom has opened in the WV, I finally tried it last night.

gelato was very good but not as good as the best at Otto (let alone San Crispano!)....had the torroncino and the bacio.

you know what was really good? the fruit sorbet....just awesome. light, ethereal, pleasingly tart, not sweet. just great. had the limone and the pompelmo rosa.

btw, I assume all you Capogiro fans are aware that you can get it in NY, right?

btw, I assume all you Capogiro fans are aware that you can get it in NY, right?

No. In what form? If you mean freezer aisle fare, or anything shipped in from Philly, I won't bother.

Now, if Capogiro has set up shop and is making it on sight, that's a whole different issue.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

its served at Gottino.

how they procure it I don't know. but given the attention to detail and quality of the food at Gottino...I'm sure its handled well. if they're shipping it in daily from Philly (all of two hours) that's no different than all the restaurants serving Il Labatorio..

I've searched high and low for anything that even comes close to San Crispino's pompelmo rosa, and Grom's is the BEST I've had here in the States.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Murrays has Capogiro, but again it aint the same..

I like Grom and live close enough that I will get a small cone from time to time.. I find it to be very enjoyable.. However, I wouldnt make a special trip or wait more then 10 minutes..

I went to the Bleecker St. outpost today and have to admit I was impressed. I went to the UWS one twice and came away feeling that it was overpriced and definitely not worth the lines. I don't know if it was the lack of line (although servers are still very slow spooning gelato, so I did wait a bit) or the fact that they've stopped levelling cups, leading to a more generous portion, but I've changed my mind about Grom. I had the bacio and torroncino gelato in a small cup. Both were very flavorful and had a perfect, creamy texture. I still love and will continue to patronize Cones, which is just a different type of "gelato," but Grom now surpasses L'Arte del Gelato, which I used to be a bigger fan of. By the way, a small cup was $5.15 (listed on the menu as $4.75 before tax).

Edited by Noodlebot (log)

I had Grom for the first time today (Bleeker st.) and was impressed. Only tried three flavors: espresso, vanilla, and pistachio. Texture was uniformly excellent. Flavor was fairly bland in the vanilla but intense and excellent in the other two.

Based on this brief encounter it's hard to compare directly to Il Lab. The styles are completely different. Grom tastes to me like a very low butterfat (possibly milk-only) gelato; Il Lab tastes more like a moderate butterfat ice cream. I like both, and might prefer the richer Il Lab style. But if I want something exceptionally light (and have cash burning a hole in my pocket), I'll choose Grom.

I haven't had Cones yet. Every time I go in, I look at the display freezer and see all these colors that don't exist in nature, and I walk out disappointed.

Notes from the underbelly

• 1 month later...

Tried for the first time here yesterday at the Bleecker St. outpost...was walking by and there was absolutely no line, so...

Tried the espresso and the pistachio, which I think are from Syrian pistachios. Pricey and good, but not as good, imo as Il Lab or Otto.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Pricey and good, but not as good, imo as Il Lab or Otto.

I simply cannot justify this comment in my mind. Any gelato that is not as good as il laboratorio's is not good at all, in my opinion.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Pricey and good, but not as good, imo as Il Lab or Otto.

I simply cannot justify this comment in my mind. Any gelato that is not as good as il laboratorio's is not good at all, in my opinion.

Really, the statement doesn't need to be justified by you...I made it.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...
The styles are completely different. Grom tastes to me like a very low butterfat (possibly milk-only) gelato; Il Lab tastes more like a moderate butterfat ice cream.

Interesting -- the other day, I had both (along with Otto's -- it was a busy day, gelato-wise) and agree that the styles are really different, but I felt it was the other way around. I found Grom richer and more ice-cream-like. It was also served substantially colder than Il Lab's, which made the chocolate chips in the Crema de Grom & stracciatella hard to the tooth and not all that flavorful. Suppose I should have waited and let them get warm but I was in a rush.

I wish Il Lab had a slightly larger selection (and some way to see the day's flavors before you're all the way at the front of the line) but all told, especially at $3.25 for a small, I'll stick with them over Grom.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Interesting -- the other day, I had both (along with Otto's -- it was a busy day, gelato-wise) and agree that the styles are really different, but I felt it was the other way around. I found Grom richer and more ice-cream-like. It was also served substantially colder than Il Lab's, which made the chocolate chips in the Crema de Grom & stracciatella hard to the tooth and not all that flavorful. Suppose I should have waited and let them get warm but I was in a rush.

I wish Il Lab had a slightly larger selection (and some way to see the day's flavors before you're all the way at the front of the line) but all told, especially at $3.25 for a small, I'll stick with them over Grom.

I know that at GROM they usually keep the temperature at 11-12 degrees which is rather high. At Il Lab the temp should be below 10, but it gets humid up at the window so it gets fairly high. And as for the flavors, if its busy they can change every hour and usually aren't replaced with the same one. There are almost never flavors of the day, so to speak...