• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Someone is stealing tips......

minichef

I work in a restaurant where the (duty) manager is stealing the tips. I know this because we have pooled tips which go into the till and come out at the end of the night and are divided. There is a tip sheet where the tip from each table is marked down, and I took a €60 tip from one table, and as the manager was doing the tips out (in front of me), I could see on the sheet that s/he had only marked down €30. I had suspected this for a while but now know for sure. I won't say anything, as I make a great wage, and go there to work, and do not want to get involved in the already horribly complex politics of the place, or ostracise myself.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

How would you handle this tricky situation?

Thoughts?

We have a tip sheet where each member of staff writes down the ps they have recieved from each table noting the amt, the tble number and signing it with theri name. If at the end of the night the tips written down are not all there (which doesn't happen as it is so transparent) we would monitor the situation noting which members of staff were working when it happened until we could pinpoint it to key individuals and approach them accordingly. Even raising the point and making people aware that they are being monitored like this can put people off the idea of pocketing some of the money themselves.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

yes, that would definitly work if it was my restaurant; this is a place where I am a lowly newbie (although Ive known the people I work with socially for years...) which makes it difficult to do anything about the status quo. The owners are all for cracking down on pilferage of alchohol, etc, but as tips dont concern them, its almost the perfect scam.

yes, that would definitly work if it was my restaurant; this is a place where I am a lowly newbie (although Ive known the people I work with socially for years...) which makes it difficult to do anything about the status quo. The owners are all for cracking down on pilferage of alchohol, etc, but as tips dont concern them, its almost the perfect scam.

Maybe a quiet word with the owner, or a note (even anonymously) pointing out that if the staff member in question is taking tips they are untrustworthy and it might not be stopping at tips... Sure they aren't bothered with your tips but f the suggestion arises that shows it could be just the tip of the iceberg.... maybe thay would take action then?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Maybe a quiet word with the owner, or a note (even anonymously) pointing out that if the staff member in question is taking tips they are untrustworthy and it might not be stopping at tips... Sure they aren't bothered with your tips but f the suggestion arises that shows it could be just the tip of the iceberg.... maybe thay would take action then?

I think you should say something to management. If it comes out later that you knew about it and didn't say anything you could be fired, prosecuted or at least ostrasized by your fellow workers.

Certainly there is a way to dp so professionally and quietly.

I would report it to management. It's always tricky, but especially If you're new, (the rest of the staff will probably hate you). So, do it anonymously. I got fired once... when I reported a bartender that was stealing. I later found out he was in cahoots with the manager. It's amazing to me, how much stealing goes on in the restaurant biz.

I agree. If an employee is pilfering tips, they often are skimming in other ways. Often patrons may pay at the cashier and leave extra for the server which the cashier will pocket.

I have had cashiers try to tell me the check is for more than I knew it was, particularly when I am standing there with several people and we are carrying on a conversation.

On one occasion last Christmas, the cashier announced the total was 58 plus some cents, and I pointed out that the total was 50 plus whatever - she apologized and said she mis-read the 0 as an 8. It's a good think I was paying attention.

I asked for the check back and she sort of crinkled it as she pulled it out from under the clip that held a stack of them. I looked at it and said, quite loudly, unless you need reading glasses, there is no way anyone could mistake that zero for an eight. The total was printed in larger and bold type, perfectly clear.

The manager apparently heard my raised voice and came to the cashier's station and asked what was the problem.

I explained my suspicions, the cashier tried to explain her side but the manager told her to go and have a seat in his office.

He apologized, took my money, gave me change and we left. My friends mentioned that the next few times they had meals there, that cashier/hostess was not working.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think that telling managment would be the best way. I can tell you that back when I was working for tips if this person worked were I worked the problem would have been taken care of by the staff. One way or the other it would have been taken care of. I don't recomend it, but we would have met up with this individual for a little "talk".

I agree.  If an employee is pilfering tips, they often are skimming in other ways.

True. You've already discovered that there's a dishonest employee, one that's willing to steal.

What you don't know is exactly all the ways.

You say that the owners are "all for cracking down on pilferage of alcohol, etc." If this employee is willing to help himself to your tips, he's willing to help himself to their "alcohol, etc.," too.

The finite line here is honesty vs dishonesty. Once you've crossed that, the rest is just a matter of opportunity and details.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Rigorous and disciplined tip management is the answer.

For instance, at a famous waterfront restaurant in NYC, the captains are required to fill each a tip sheet with: table numbers, guest number, check amount (before tax), check number, payment method, tips (cash or credit indicated clearly) etc

Then at the end of the shift, the closing captain and server crossreference the different sheets with all closed checks or POS reports AND cash tips.

Difficult to steal for long under that system.

One thing. Be very careful. I have had people tell me on several occassions that someone that worked for me was stealing-be VERY sure that if you say something, you can prove it-otherwise you're out on your ass and probably getting your ass whipped, too. Nobody likes a snitch. (Especially in the restaurant business where everyone's stealing! :biggrin: )

i think the only way am going to deal with it is by waiting until it happens again and then simply asking, 'did you make a mistake? How come there was €40 on that table but only €20 marked in on the tip sheet?' And I suspect that will be enough to rattle them a little, at least enough to stop them doing it on my watch.