• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City Food Classics?

nathanm

I eat at El Bulli every year, but I have never been to Kansas City. However, I think that I may be able to spend a day there soon.

My plan is to drive from one place to another to eat and sample - not a normal meal, but stop at a couple of places to get a taste of the famous food.

I've read for years about Arthur Bryant's and Gates' Barbecue so I thought I'd stop there. Also Stroud's Fried Chicken, since that is famous too.

I could easily imagine that the current KC cognoscenti may tell me that these places are not what they use to be, so I should skip one or more of them. Or perhaps there is a third or fourth stop that I have to make....

I would appreciate suggestions!

Nathan

I'm not sure how well either of these places lend themselves to a quick taste, but Winstead's and Oklahoma Joe's would be at the top of my list. I personally think Oklahoma Joe's has the best fries in the known universe.

If you're going to Arthur Bryant's, go to the original one at 18th and Brooklyn. The other location(s?) are sorely lacking in many respects, especially in ambiance.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

I'm not sure how well either of these places lend themselves to a quick taste, but Winstead's and Oklahoma Joe's would be at the top of my list.  I personally think Oklahoma Joe's has the best fries in the known universe. 

If you're going to Arthur Bryant's, go to the original one at 18th and Brooklyn.  The other location(s?) are sorely lacking in many respects, especially in ambiance.

I really like the burnt ends myself and agreed with the original location. As for Winsteadts, I think their burgers are a bit dry nowadays but they match well with the Cherry Limeades.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Big Country is right on. The burnt ends at LC's are so good. I am partial to the pulled pork at Oklahoma Joe's, the one at 47th and Mission. I am also hearing good things about Big T's on 350 Highway, across the street from LC's. Haven't been there yet, but from what I'm hearing, I do want to try it. The brisket is getting good reports.

• 5 months later...

Here is Kansas CIty bbq in the eyes of a Chicago writer

More than 100 barbecue restaurants are located almost within rib-throwing distance of each other, and local fans share suggestions by word of mouth and Web sites for the city's best 'cue joints. Their advice reflects the fierce loyalties the topic inspires.

These people are serious about their 'cue.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!