• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with "El Lobo"

We have a lovely Spanish gourmet store down the block, and ever since Docsconz's write ups, I've been wandering over there to experiment with different ingredients.

Yesterday I came across "El Lobo", a soft almond paste, flavored with honey and pressed into a bar. They had crumbles of it to taste, and it was delicious.

gallery_14010_2363_78332.jpg

My question is: what it traditionally done with this almond bar? Just eat it? Use it as a pastry ingredient?

I made it into a sort of gelato, finished with some saba syrup and candied/spiced orange peel. I was pleased with it, but kept wondering..."what are you 'supposed' to do with it?"

Thanks!

gallery_14010_2363_19404.jpg

El Lobo is a brand. What you have is Turron Jijona. A sweet almond paste meant to be eaten as such. We usually eat it at Christmas time. I have never had it any other way, though I imagine it might be good crumbled into an ice cream.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

Your recipe looks great hathor, and turron icecream is quite fashionable in the restaurants here so you're thinking alike with some great minds. It's also being made into soups and sauces to accompany savoury dishes. But as Raisab says it's traditionally just meant to be eaten as it is. There are two main types - the soft jijona (or xixona) one you have and the alicante style which is hard, more like a nougat. You can get more info here http://spanishfood.about.com/od/dessertssweets/a/turron.htm

The company that makes the El Lobo brand has a turron museum in Jijona, if any obsessive fan happens to be passing!

I'm wondering why you've bought the sugar free version, was that intentional? I wonder how it affects the flavour and texture? Even with less or no 'sugar' it's still pretty calorific and not good for diabetics, and I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners. Personally, I'd rather eat the sugar version in smaller quantities. But that's just me!

Many thanks for the info!

I didn't know I bought the 'sugar free' variety...it was sweetened with honey, so I don't think it was at all for diabetics or the calorie conscious.

It made a marvelous 'gelato' type ice cream, but as a sauce ingredient for something savory....it could be amazing as a balance for spice.

It has such a good, strong concentrated almond taste. Certainly a fun ingredient to play with; however there is a warning on the label that eating too much can cause a laxative effect! :shock::laugh::laugh:

A museum?? Yet another reason to plan on coming to Spain!

thanks again!!

however there is a warning on the label that eating too much can cause a laxative effect!  :shock:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I think that's the artificial sweeteners, I remember seeing similar warnings on some sugar free gums and sweets. Or does the honey make things runny?! (sorry)

Turron is a wonderful little treat. I will be in Alicante this spring (a direct result of the CIA's World of Flavor Conference) and will certainly try some turrones there. Unfortunately, I don't think that I will have the time to make it to the museum .

Judith, your dessert looks delicious!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

however there is a warning on the label that eating too much can cause a laxative effect!  :shock:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I think that's the artificial sweeteners, I remember seeing similar warnings on some sugar free gums and sweets. Or does the honey make things runny?! (sorry)

Yes, this is the sugar-free version--it's sweetened with artificial sweeteners, not honey. A lot of turrón (and chocolate) companies put out sugar-free versions. The gold label that the importer put on it is not correct.

Edited by butterfly (log)

Yes, this is the sugar-free version--it's sweetened with artificial sweeteners, not honey. A lot of turrón (and chocolate) companies put out sugar-free versions. The gold label that the importer put on it is not correct.

Oh, I assumed they took the sugar out and left the honey in. If there's no honey and no sugar, what's in the damn thing!?

We have a lovely Spanish gourmet store down the block, and ever since Docsconz's write ups, I've been wandering over there to experiment with different ingredients.

Yesterday I came across "El Lobo", a soft almond paste, flavored with honey and pressed into a bar. They had crumbles of it  to taste, and it was delicious.

gallery_14010_2363_78332.jpg

img]http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/1173666582/gallery_14010_2363_19404.jpg

This appears to have honey and no sugar. My read was that the bars that contain honey and no sugar are of a superior quality. Certainly, when I looked at the branded bars, the honey only bars were more expensive.

I adore turron (when I can get my hands on it). The only problem is, it is impossible to stop eating it. I keep going back for more! The only side effects I've suffered as a result have been tighter waistbands from over-indulgence!

Oh, I assumed they took the sugar out and left the honey in. If there's no honey and no sugar, what's in the damn thing!?

Nowhere on the Spanish packaging does it say "honey"--just on the gold label that the importer slapped on it... Underneath the label, I believe it says "Crema de Turrón."

"Edulcorantes" in this context means artificial sweeteners--probably lactitol and sorbitol. (Sorbitol is the one that can cause diarrhea...)

OH...the box is gone. Next chance I get, I will head over to Despana and look at the box again, it does have a list of ingredients on the back, in a number of languages and I'll report back.

I must say that it didn't have that artificial sweetener taste to it. But, I'm certainly not an expert.

As I recall, it was the only version that they had for sale. But, I wouldn't rely too much on my memory! :blink:

Ferran Adrià once suggested eating soft Jijona Turrón with a pinch salt. Most of my older relatives think this is disgusting, but I think it really brings out the almond flavor.

Alicante makes hard turrón (praline-ish, nougat-ish type of thing), and Agramunt (in Catalonia) is also famous because these produce, and whereas it's not Denominación de Origen (D.O), it's Indicació Geogràfica Protegida (the Catalonia only equivalent). Turrones (or torrons, in Catalan) are mostly eaten in Christmas... Funnily enough, most of the industrially produced ones ALWAYS have expiration dates for November the following year (imagine why).

I don't know if this has already been quoted here, but there's an official page for Jijona and Alicante turrón D.O.

here and for museo del turrón. and this one for Agramunt.

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/

I happened to see one of these at the supermarket today and looked at the ingredients. It IS artificially sweetened (with maltitol, if I remember correctly). No honey, no sugars.

Edulcorantes (sweeteners, meaning artificial sweeteners) is the word that gives this away--along with the oddly-colored packaging.

Unfortunately, a lot gets lost in translation when the importers slap their labels on.

I happened to see one of these at the supermarket today and looked at the ingredients. It IS artificially sweetened (with maltitol, if I remember correctly). No honey, no sugars.

Edulcorantes (sweeteners, meaning artificial sweeteners) is the word that gives this away--along with the oddly-colored packaging.

Unfortunately, a lot gets lost in translation when the importers slap their labels on.

The trad ingredients for turron de jijona are almonds, honey, sugar, egg white (you can make it virtually on the turron de jijona website, with a rather suggestive animation of the trad mixing bowl (boixet) and pestle type thing!). So is this just almonds, egg white and sweeteners? Have they added any other additives to correct consistency, for example? I suppose calling it 'crema de turron' gives them leeway to play with it.