• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great food near Durham, NC ?

nathanm

I will be in Durham, NC soon and will have at least one dinner, and possibily lunch and breakfast free to explore.

What is the best eating in the area?

I am interested in the best food experience there. I love real southern barbeque. Or fried chicken. Or other traditional southern food.... or if there is a more fancy high end restaurant, or ethnic food - whatever is GREAT.

Nathan

I don't even know where to begin. These are all searchable in the database.

Fine Dining (white table cloth): Magnolia Grill, Nana's, Four Square

Popular Price (bistro): Piedmont, Rue Clair, Pop's

Pub Food (and good too): Federal

Ethnic: Any of the mexican tiendas and taquerias on Roxboro Rd. near Club Blvd.

I really miss the dining the Durham.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

What about barbecue?  Or breakfast?

If you have time and transportation, consider Allen and Son's Barbeque outside of Chapel Hill. One of the few places that still bbq's over wood. A friend was recently back in Chapel Hill and said the bbq was as excellent as ever. (He brought a cooler of it back out west.) I would suggest the platter with slaw and hushpuppies or a couple of bbq sandwiches--lovely pork and slaw on a soft bun.

I'm not as familiar with bbq places in Durham so hopefully others will chime in if they think there are options in Durham.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I don't know that I've met an Egullter who has been to guglhupf and didn't like it. So if you're looking for breakfast, and pastrys and coffee will set you right. then I'd head there. Also fantastic sandwiches at lunch (I favor the beef-n-blue). That said, it isn't really 'southern'. But it is really really good. Bring a loaf of bread home with you.

http://www.guglhupf.com/

BBQ in Durham - Bullocks is a southern experience, but the 'q is nothing to write home about. I second the Allen & Son recs, if you can make it out there. If you are pressed for time, The Q Shack serves up a nice brisket sandwich, and is really a funky cool BBQ place. Best onion rings on the planet. About 1/4 mile from guglhupf.

http://www.theqshackoriginal.com/

Southern breakfast? On a weekday? I can't recommend anything...

I take it back. Actually, Wimpys on Hillsboro Rd (about 1/2 mile west of 9th St, on the left) makes a fantastic biscuit sandwich. Take-out only. Big as your hand. I really like the pork biscuit or the bacon/egg/cheese. I think they'll do baloney too, and if that isn't Southern... And look out for Loco Pops if you find Wimpy's. They are gormet popsicsles that are worth the detour.

~Nibbs

I don't know that I've met an Egullter who has been to guglhupf and didn't like it.  So if you're looking for breakfast, and pastrys and coffee will set you right. then I'd head there.  Also fantastic sandwiches at lunch (I favor the beef-n-blue).  That said, it isn't really 'southern'.  But it is really really good.  Bring a loaf of bread home with you.

http://www.guglhupf.com/

BBQ in Durham - Bullocks is a southern experience, but the 'q is nothing to write home about.  I second the Allen & Son recs, if you can make it out there.  If you are pressed for time, The Q Shack serves up a nice brisket sandwich, and is really a funky cool BBQ place.  Best onion rings on the planet.  About 1/4 mile from guglhupf.

http://www.theqshackoriginal.com/

Southern breakfast?  On a weekday?  I can't recommend anything...

I take it back.  Actually, Wimpys on Hillsboro Rd (about 1/2 mile west of 9th St, on the left) makes a fantastic biscuit sandwich.  Take-out only.  Big as your hand.  I really like the pork biscuit or the bacon/egg/cheese.  I think they'll do baloney too, and if that isn't Southern...  And look out for Loco Pops if you find Wimpy's.  They are gormet popsicsles that are worth the detour.

~Nibbs

I've been here for two years and I'm amazed at the food quality in this area, meaning Durham, Chapel Hill, and Raleigh.

Try foster's market in Durham (and Chapel Hill). It's a nice place for brunch. In Brightleaf, there's Mt. Fuji which is decent but their half price sushi night on Thursdays after 9pm is always packed. Pops is also a great place and is in that area. Nana's, Four Square, Magnolia Grill, Parizade, Grasshopper, George's Garage, are all staples. I heard the Federal, a bar in the Brightleaf area, has some good hamburgers. I like Saladelia and there's a new Thai place next to it called Twisted Noodle that is pretty good.

In Chapel Hill, I love Weathervane inside A Southern Season (which is one of the neatest stores in the area). Their chorizo and shrimp grits is a masterpiece. There's a soul food place in Chapel Hill called Mama Dip's that's good. Spice Street next to Southern Season is also great.

In Raleigh, Angus Barn is great, but I've never been (I'm going this Wednesday, any tips?). I don't know of others but that's because I haven't spent much time.

Like I said, there's some great restaurants in this area, which surprised me to no end.