• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised Radishes

srhcb

I like radishes in salad, but never thought about cooking them until I just saw this on tv.

Has anybody tried this? :huh:

SB (wondering about the texture :hmmm: )

Radishes have been braised on Cooking with "All About Braising" with Molly Stevens. With a stovetop braise, you can control the texture pretty easily. Mrs. C did this once, and the radishes were very good.

sure, theyre awesome if you braise them whole about 45 minutes until soft but still bitey. Grape flavors are great, red wine, verjus, grape juice concentrate, housemade red wine vinegar etc etc... whole spices are a great addition(tellicherry pepper, star anise etc) as well as lapsang souchong

Don't know about braising radishes, but I sauté them and bake them.

Sautéed with spring onions lardons and some thyme they make a nice compliment to pan fried chops of any kind.

I bake them in with a seasonal vegetable roast. Shallots, turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, carrots, garlic or any other root veg combination. Add herbs de province, S&P and lightly coat in duck fat before roasting in a high oven.

Greatly under rated IMHO.

Sorry to intrude with my ignorance, but are we talking little, round pink radishes here, or the bigger white-ish ones?  Or does it matter?

The recipe I saw prepared on tv used one pound of the little red radishes:

Place trimmed radishes in a skillet with 1 1/2 cups stock, 2 Tbl butter, sliced shallots, 2 Tbl sugar, 1 Tbl vinegar, salt and pepper.

Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Uncover the pan and reduce heat to medium. Cook radishes 10 to 12 minutes, if the stock has not cooked away, remove radishes and cook down to 1/2 cup.

SB (They were a pretty color, and looked like they'd taste pretty good)

I discovered braised/glazed radishes not long ago. After picking a bunch from the garden, gave em a quick trim and wash, glazed until soft and used them in a "ragout" wtih chaterelle mushrooms. Turned out to be a great hit.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Paula Wolfert has a recipe for a goose stew done with glazed/braised radishes, which we tried recently; 'Third helpings' material which had the bottom of the pan well scraped, and has me eyeing up the Canada geese in the back yard. The radishes are not their crisp sharp little selves under such a treatment, but they retained interesting character and I'd cheerfully handle them similarly in the future.