• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold Roasted Chicken

project

As diet food, intend to roast some chicken and eat it as cold,

skinless roast chicken.

<br><br>

But want to add some flavor, e.g., in the form of dipping

sauces.

<br><br>

One candidate is my standard dipping sauce for Chinese steamed

dumplings

<blockquote>

2 T minced fresh strong garlic

<br>

2 1/2 T Chinese Rice Vinegar

<br>

4 T Chinese Pearl River Bridge Light Soy Sauce

<br>

1 t Sesame oil

<br>

1 t Chinese style hot oil

</blockquote>

But would like more options for dipping sauces.

<br><br>

Ideas?

<br><br>

Thanks!

What would be the right food and wine to go with

R. Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben'?

I love hoisin sauce with cold roast chicken sandwiches. If you're looking for a dipping sauce, you could try a satay sauce.

Also, hzrt8w's pictorals for Secret Salt Baked Chicken and Baked Soy Sauce Chicken include two slightly different versions of an awesome Ginger-Scallion condiment that would work really well.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The first thing that came to mind is a satay-style peanut sauce, but that's not exactly in-line with 'diet food' - likewise for spices blended with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil, bread dipper style. How about sriracha, tapenade, or even salsa? I also like Trader Joe's 'sweet chili dipping sauce' and shittake mushroom sauces - both high in flavor and next to no fat.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I love hoisin sauce with cold roast chicken sandwiches.

However could I forget hoisin sauce!? Another big winner. :smile:

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Well, I love mayo with room temperature cooked chicken and turkey but that doesn't help with the lower calorie aspect... :smile:

How about mustard and plain yogurt? I might add in a little mayo in there for texture and flavor. Lemon and black pepper might also be nice. Anyway, some type of mustardy type sauce might work.

Please report back on successful combinations and good luck with retooling some of your eating habits!

Besides thinking of "dipping sauces" you could use the chicken in nice composed salads on top of greens or not. The same dressing/sauce/vinaigrette can be use to dress everything in the salad so that cuts down on calories on a separate sauce for the chicken and get additional vegetables easily into the action!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

One candidate is my standard dipping sauce for Chinese steamed

dumplings

In the same general family, Vietnamese ginger-lime dipping sauce or nuoc cham are wonderful on roasted or grilled chicken (or pretty much anything else). For something really quick and easy, try a mixture of Sriracha and hoisin sauce.

Here's some ideas:

Sauce Verte (Use light mayo or half mayo/half plain yogurt)

Chimichurri Sauce

Cilantro Mint Chutney (Ignore the rest of the recipe where it details the cooking of the chicken if you just want the sauce for plain roast or poached chicken)

Curried Chicken Salad (Which, again, can be made with light mayo or with half mayo/half plain yogurt)

Russian Tea Room Russian Dressing(Replace mayo with light mayo, sour cream with plain yogurt)

Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette

Remember if you buy yogurt for these recipes to be sure that it is "plain" not "vanilla" flavored. Sometimes plain yogurt is only sold in the larger containers.

How about a Filipino favorite dipping sauce?

4 tablespoons of white vinegar

2 tablespoons of soy sauce

1 tsp of minced garlic

salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything well. This dipping sauce is great for crispy fried pork, fried spring rolls (lumpia) and I bet, your cold roasted chicken.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I was watching one of jacque pepin's "fast food my way" episodes for the 5th millionth time last night and he made a lovely dish of warm poached chicken with a tonnato sauce. Hopefully I am spelling tonntato right.

It was basically a tuna sauce with some anchovies thrown in and some water and oil. It looked absolutely delicious

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Nuoc cham is always one of my favourites.  If you can get a jar (or recipe) of the sauce for Hainanese chicken, try that, too.  Spicy and delicious!

I make a sauce thats similar. It's what's served with khao mun gai in Thailand. I'll try to find that recipes. It's been awhile since I've made. I'm trying to be healthy and that dish is decidely NOT healthy! :P