• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Online Source for Spices

enurmi

I'm looking for a good, reliable online source for spices... as far as I know, there are no spice shops around where I live. (if anyone knows any around DC, that would be preferable)

I've been looking into www.thespicehouse.com

Does anyone have any experience with them? If not, are there any other good (relatively inexpensive) online vendors I should look into? Thanks!

I think fish is nice, but then I think that rain is wet, so who am I to judge?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is often inaccurate.

Government Created Killer Nano Robot Infection Epidemic 06.

I live in a remote area and suffer the same problem. I discovered Penzeys Spices when I was in Wisconsin and they are phenomenal. They have locations all over the states.

I just received my first order in the mail last week and was really happy with my purchase. They also have a catalogue you can order to take a look at.

I love the garlic powder! Garlic bulbs in the grocery store around here are dried out and usually have bad spots on them this time of year. I have run out of my farmer's market supply so their garlic powder usually gets me through until the markets offer the fresh again.

I highly recomend them!

I'm looking for a good, reliable online source for spices... as far as I know, there are no spice shops around where I live. (if anyone knows any around DC, that would be preferable)

I've been looking into www.thespicehouse.com

Does anyone have any experience with them? If not, are there any other good (relatively inexpensive) online vendors I should look into? Thanks!

Duh, just realized my redundant reply. Yes, Spice House is a great place to order. Well packed when recieved and fresh. Their website has been revamped to be more user friendly and has plenty of selection to choose from. I thought I read somewhere that Spice House and Penzy's are owned by the same people. I could be wrong.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Penzey's will be opening 2 stores in the DC area coming this spring!

Penzey's. I love them. My last order included a bag of parsley flakes and I was blown away by the vibrant color. The smell of their bay leaves will knock your socks off.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

enurmi:

I had worked for a pastry chef who ordered his spices from The Spice House. He seemed to be pleased with their products and service.

I have never dealt with Penseys Spices.

Buttercup: You mock my pain.

Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-- The Princess Bride

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -- Red Green