• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive Oil Poached Fish

Stone

I didn't find any significant olive flavour to come out of the oil so I use extra-light olive oil now. After poaching, I bring the oil up to 150C/300F which should steralise it and then bottle it again and use it for dishes that need a subtle fish flavour. Why throw it out?

PS: I am a guy.

But if olive oil leaves almost no flavor, why use it at all?  :blink:

Wassa matta wit peanut or safflowah?

Who says it leaves no flavour? Lower temperatures mean greater oil absorbtion and I'd rather taste olive than grease.

I have an advantage, I produce EVOO from 400 Lucca and 800 Arbequina trees and freely use my oil for cooking, everything. I can attest to the fact that it does render flavor to the foods it is combined with, to a limit. Eggs, most fish, vegetables all gain from the oils with a strong peppery finish, milder fish does well with the lesser pungent oils. Your use is dependent on economics and/or availability.

"I drink to make other people interesting".