• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Berkshire Pork

malcolmjolley

A Gremolata reader asked me today if I knew anyone who had eaten Berkshire Pork and what the big deal was, compared to "regular" breeds.

I've read a bit on this, but I've never had any (not sure there are even raised on Ontario). So I'm taking it to eG hoping for some first hand accounts...

[edited for spilling]

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

My husband just had some last week at Carrie Cerrino's in Cleveland, Ohio. I don't even like pork chops, but I tasted his and it was melt-in-your-mouth good. I understand that it is special because it is raised naturally (the word organic was used, but I don't know that it is) and is permitted to have "normal" fat for a pig; much of the "regular" pork products have been deliberately made leaner to respond to health concerns, to the extreme that the meat is dry and flavorless (so my pork chop eating friends tell me).

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Bershire Pork is an attempt to produce a pork product like one could obtain 40 years ago. Today's pork had been breed for leanness. Much of it in the big chains is now injected with a water/chemical solution that the Pork Industry tells you improves flavor and freshness. In reality it adds water to the weight and profit for the Pork Producer. I don't use it at all.

We get our Bershire Pork from a Japanese market where it is very popular with the Japanese for its fat content. It is very good. -Dick

A Gremolata reader asked me today if I knew anyone who had eaten Berkshire Pork and what the big deal was, compared to "regular" breeds.

[edited for spilling]

:smile: Too funny.

Berkshire pork is darker in color, more tender because of the fat content, and tastes like ... well, not like the pork we're all accustomed to. I think it's easier to cook and to work with, because you don't have to be concerned with the stuff that's been injected into it, and with it drying out or bouncing. When you eat it, especially next to supermarket pork, you can tell the difference. It's what pork is supposed to taste like. (I've worked with it as a restaurant and home cook, and am spoiled.)

I wonder what it will taste like next to Kurobuta pork?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I wonder what it will taste like next to Kurobuta pork?

exactly the same :wink:

its the same thing

Of course they're the same! D'oh! That's what I get for posting before the fourth cup of coffee ...

And thank you for the winky; it takes the sting out of being a knucklehead. :wacko:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Bershire Pork is an attempt to produce a pork product like one could obtain 40 years ago. Today's pork had been breed for leanness. Much of it in the big chains is now injected with a water/chemical solution that the Pork Industry tells you improves flavor and freshness. In reality it adds water to the weight and profit for the Pork Producer. I don't use it at all.

We get our Bershire Pork from a Japanese market where it is very popular with the Japanese for its fat content. It is very good. -Dick

Now I know what the supermarts are flogging when they say 'seasoned pork'! I thought it was just a spray of brine to allow more shelf life, but, no, it's an injection, and it raises the profit level!

Michael Staedtlander has been raising 19th century pork breeds at his restaurant/farm Eigensinn for a few years to great success. I'm sure there are other examples of the the old breeds worth looking for.

• 1 year later...

I've fallen in love with these pigs!

After Momofuku and now a stellar meal at Aburiya Kinnosuke, I want to cook it myself. Lots of it. Every day.

Any suggestions on cuts and cooking methods? I've never cooked this kind of succulent, fatty pork before. Not sure which cuts are the standouts in these pigs, or which cooking methods would bring out the best. Someone here suggested that Momofuku uses shoulder (and I read somewhere that they cooked it sous vide). Not sure what Aburiya served, but it seemed like some kind of braise.

I lean towards braising or roasting, but will explore other options.

I'm open to any ideas, and whatever thoughts and experiences you care to share.

Thanks!

Notes from the underbelly

I cook nothing but Berkshire pork these days. Berkshire roasts and chops do not need to be brined. I did a rack of pork last night for example, that was roasted. Berkshire pork shoulders can and should certainly be braised and I have done so. I'm also going to try smoking one in the summer.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've ordered Berkshire pork a couple times now and really enjoyed it. My favorite cut has been a bone in loin roast. Fabulous on a rotisserie with a nice glaze.

My one comment would be to not overcook it, even with the higher fat content. The place I buy mine (Prairie Pride Farms in Minnesota) http://www.prairiepridepork.com/

recommends cooking the roast to 150 internal temp. I cooked the last one to 145 and it was great. I noticed that Ina Garten cooked one on her show and said take it off at 138.

As an enticement to try, Prairie Pride farms is offering free shipping for orders over 15 pounds right now. No, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

In my effort to duplicate the orgasmic berkshire pork experiences i've had at a couple of restaurants, I finally got my hands on some. The only cut they had was loin, so I had a couple of chops cut.

They did not have the intense marbling that I've seen in pictures online, but had more than regular pork chops. I sauteed them, and thougth they were only ok. Better than your average chop, but still very lean, and nothing like the melting textures I've had before.

I want to go back and try again. My two thoughts are that maybe I need a different cut (something fattier, perhaps with more collagen) and a different cooking method (like braising).

Any ideas? My butcher said that they can get their hands on any cut of berkshire if I give them notice. I'd like something intensely flavorful and fatty with a melting texture.

Notes from the underbelly

I concur with Anne on the butt (which is really a shoulder). I've also had good luck with "country style" ribs (not to be confused with spare or baby back ribs).

And, braise low and slow, and for best results, braise a day ahead of time and reheat when you're ready to eat it!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I have had some bone in chops from both Preferred Meats and from Mountain View Farms that have been excellent. The Preferred chops were T-bone pork chops and some of the best I have ever had.

Here is a pic of the marbling from my MTN View chopsgallery_23125_3402_339091.jpg

Cool, thanks. I'll see if my butcher can get some shoulder/butt (why is the shoulder called the butt??) for the next round of experiments.

I'll post the results.

I may be wrong, but I think it is an anatomy thing. The shoulder "butts" up against the joint.

Please post results. I love porky goodness.

I'd like something intensely flavorful and fatty with a melting texture.

Definitely go for a shoulder, or piece of shoulder. And cook it really slowly until it reaches an internal temperature of about 195 F or the meat falls effortlessly from the bone. Then you should have fall-apart, melting, fatty, porky yumminess ... :smile::smile::smile:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

if you want to do the loin, ask for the piece that's closest to the blade. and get it with the ribs on. makes a really nice roast.

Agreed. I always asked for the first 6 ribs from the shoulder, and asked for the blade to be excised, so it presents similar to a center loin chop. We did double chops of these, bone-in. Beautifully marbled, deeply vascularized - almost a purple red. The only problem was one of consistent sizing, but in my mind, infinitely worth it. FWIW, I know Venison America gets this in, or used to anyway, when I asked for the spec. (standard disclaimer - no connection - just always did right by me).

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

In my effort to duplicate the orgasmic berkshire pork experiences i've had at a couple of restaurants, I finally got my hands on some. The only cut they had was loin, so I had a couple of chops cut.

They did not have the intense marbling that I've seen in pictures online, but had more than regular pork chops. I sauteed them, and thougth they were only ok. Better than your average chop, but still very lean, and nothing like the melting textures I've had before.

I want to go back and try again. My two thoughts are that maybe I need a different cut (something fattier, perhaps with more collagen) and a different cooking method (like braising).

Any ideas? My butcher said that they can get their hands on any cut of berkshire if I give them notice. I'd like something intensely flavorful and fatty with a melting texture.

Try brining them first. We used birkshire pork at my restaurant back in CA. After a 7 hour brine, its the best pork ive ever had.... state-side at least. Just my $.02.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

• 5 weeks later...

This is a braised berkshire pork shoulder, boneless. It's marinaded in orange and lime juices with spices, then after braising, the shoulder is put on a baking pan and roasted in a 475 oven for 10 minutes to crisp up the skin or fat.

gallery_6080_205_80133.jpg

gallery_6080_205_47258.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.