• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Zeppole time!

Aria

Hey all,

I've tried zeppoles from many Italian bakeries ( in Toronto) but today I had the best!!! I always thought that zeppoles had to be fried but these were baked and just awesome. Some lovely custard cream on the inside and a light dusting of icing sugar on the outside. Anyone tried making these?

It's the time for St. Joseph Zeppoli, which are the ones baked with choux pastry. Here in NJ, they are filled with either cannoli cream or custard. St. Joseph Day is March 19th. If you're in the mood to make them, Lidia has a recipe in Lidia's Italian American Kitchen. She features a fried version or a baked version. I've been meaning to try them every March but never manage to do it.

Marie

NJDuchess

Hello Barbara!

I didn't actually find them...wish I did though. They were brought over from Woodbridge, does that help?

It's the time for St. Joseph Zeppoli, which are the ones baked with choux pastry.  Here in NJ, they are filled with either cannoli cream or custard.  St. Joseph Day is March 19th.  If you're in the mood to make them, Lidia has a recipe in Lidia's Italian American Kitchen.  She features a fried version or a baked version.  I've been meaning to try them every March but never manage to do it.

Marie