• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yummy NYC birthday cake

We're eating out, but I'd like to serve a fantastic birthday cake that we can bring to the restaurant (I've checked). Beautiful is important, but we're not looking for over-the-top theme decorating--more important that we serve something delicious. And it won't have to be enormous, so price isn't too much of an object. What bakeries would you recommend for something simple and delicous?

Easy. Hands down (okay, okay, IMHO!) best birthday cake you can get is from Duane Street Patisserie on, yes, Duane Street in Tribeca. Moist cake layers, wonderful ganache or buttercream filliings...you can happily combine them to create your perfect cake. They can do beautiful floral designs, or whatever pleases you. A friend used them for her kids' birthdays (the kids didn't care...but the adults at the party were overjoyed to eat such good cake) recently and they made an adorable plaque of a monkey for one and a pirate flag for another...The monkey cake had a scrumptious banana mousse filling.

All the ingredients are the best of the best...They cake is simplicity itself, and yet elegan. None of this hyper-sugar-overload that you get from places like Magnolia.

And, speaking of cupcakes...their take on a Hostess cupcake is tops.

It is my birthday cake place of choice. I hope you like it too. (At the very least, try the cupcake!)

Edited by mzrb (log)

Thanks, all. Duane St and Balthazar were on my list to check out, and interestingly, Magnolia was way off (I didn't want to say anything so as to avoid general negativity!), so I see we're coming from the same place, sugar-wise. Black Hound is still good? Good to hear. I always loved their stuff but haven't had it in a while. The previous thread's a trove of info. This is going to be an enjoyable chore.

Yes, Black Hound does some great cakes - esp. chocolate stuff.

I like Balthazar Bakery as well, but do they do cakes - or is it more tarts, tortes, etc.?

Have a look at Black Hound's cake page -

Black Hound

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

How about Amy's Bread's layer cakes?

http://www.amysbread.com/hellsp.htm

I know I've had one before and it was really damn good.

There is a french bakery somewhere in Chelsea that makes what we called the "budonkadonk" chocolate cake, it was a chocolate mousse cake, very rich, that was in a half-sphere. If anyone knows please let me know.

But after all is said and done, I'd get her Fudgy the Whale.

My recent experiences with Greenberg were not so great...I grew up with their cakes, but perhaps it was just the disparity between childhood memory and my adult palate?

Edited by mzrb (log)

But after all is said and done, I'd get her Fudgy the Whale.

Time to confess: A Costco cake is under consideration. Just not sure I have the nerve to bring it to the restaurant unless we also order "real" desserts.

Saveur magazine recently confessed similarly! They listed the chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting as one of their Top 100...(in this past year's issue).

We're eating out, but I'd like to serve a fantastic birthday cake that we can bring to the restaurant (I've checked). Beautiful is important, but we're not looking for over-the-top theme decorating--more important that we serve something delicious. And it won't have to be enormous, so price isn't too much of an object. What bakeries would you recommend for something simple and delicous?

under brooklyn bridge on Water street, right across Jacque Torre's chocolate place, there is a new pastry with a french chef, has very good cake and very reasonably priced (Only $3 per serving!) and very beautifully decorated. I ordered a passion fruit coconut chocolate cake for my daughter's 2 year old birthday party last October and she still remembers it!

P.S. If you never had Jacque Torre's hot chocolate(or ice hot chocolate), it is the absolute best!

Edited by kyeblue (log)