• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In praise of soft, squishy bread

Fat Guy

But Wonder and it's globby ilk? Fie, and I don't care it that makes me sounds elitist. I have eaten exactly one bite of one PBJ in my life, when I was about four.  That lethal texture almost caulked up my throat. I think shredded Wonder could be substituted for clumping kitty litter.

Oh boy. Another crunchy crust elitist. I, somehow, expect so much more from you.

Life is full of sudden disappointment. I should get used to it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I think shredded Wonder could be substituted for clumping kitty litter.

My cat, John, likes to play with Wonder-bread balls. I don't think he pees on them but sometimes he puts them in his mouth.

Maggie, does your squishy-crust disdain extend to those great big loaves (Texas Toast, maybe?) and Pepperidge Farm white? I can squish them up pretty well, too. I also can toast them and put them on a plate under barbecue or runny eggs.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Parker house rolls, overnight refridgerator rolls, pain de mie -- I love "plain" white bread. It's fun to cut in into appropraite-sized squares, squidge it down into muffin tins , brush it with butter and bake until you have these cunning golden cases. I've made quichelettes in these things, poured in the creamed salmon, ratatouille and so on.

But Wonder and it's globby ilk? Fie, and I don't care it that makes me sounds elitist. I have eaten exactly one bite of one PBJ in my life, when I was about four.  That lethal texture almost caulked up my throat. I think shredded Wonder could be substituted for clumping kitty litter.

I'm totally with you. There is such a thing as decent plain white soft-crusted bread. And you don't have to own a bakery or bake it yourself to get it. I love PBJ on white bread, as do my kids, and we make it on decent white sandwich bread.

Many commercial bakeries, including large national brands (like Pepperidge Farm) produce it.

I will say, though, that I've never squished Wonder bread into small balls for cat toys. I guess it's possible that it's good for something.

Although for me, the "Wonder" was always that so many people actually buy it.

It's got to be because they grew up with it. I cannot imagine anyone developing a taste for it as an adult.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Oh boy. Another crunchy crust elitist. I, somehow, expect so much more from you.

Life is full of sudden disappointment. I should get used to it.

Cheer up, Brooks -- I haven't disappointed you completely. I don't demand a crunchy crust -- in fact I mostly prefer a softer one . I merely prefer a real crumb.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Maggie, does your squishy-crust disdain extend to those great big loaves (Texas Toast, maybe?) and Pepperidge Farm white? I can squish them up pretty well, too. I also can toast them and put them on a plate under barbecue or runny eggs.

Fabulous One: I'd use either of the products you mention for exactly the uses you proffer. Yes, they can be squished --I mentioned in my original post that I occasionally find virtue in their malleablity.

No Wonder. Not ever. And, it's sweet.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Why is processed white bread so sugary? I went through probably ten years of not buying white bread, then decided one weekend that I needed to make The Perfect BLT (which of course requires toasted, squishy white bread.) I was shocked when I took a bite of the bread - it tasted like candy! It does go well with a tomato sandwich (Duke's Mayo only!) because the sweetness complements the acidity of the tomato - but with most savory foods I can't stand the stuff.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch