• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michael's Genuine Food & Drink

annecros

The Miami Herald is reporting on a new opening. Sounds interesting. Several of these high end organic places have opened up recently. We will try to get there when they are up and operating smoothly.

Link to article

''Genuine became the buzzword for everything we were doing,'' said Schwartz, a Philadelphia native who made his name in South Florida as a partner at Nemo and cooked most recently at afterglo.

''People have a perception that local cuisine is only about tropical fruit,'' he said. ``We have rabbit farms in Ocala. Frog legs come from the Everglades. They make goat cheese in Loxahatchee. There is stuff. You just have to find it.''

Typical of his relationship to locally grown foodstuffs is his connection to Paradise Farms in Homestead, an organic purveyor to top local restaurants. With owner Gabriele Marewski, Schwartz organized a monthly dinner series at the farm last winter to benefit small family farms damaged by Hurricane Katrina. It was so successful, they have reprised it this season, benefiting Earth Learning, an environmental education program.

These ''Dinners in Paradise'' bring local chefs to Homestead in pairs and trios to prepare elegant meals from mostly Paradise-grown products. Guests pay $150 for the pleasure of dining al fresco down on the farm.

'Michael is at the forefront of reminding chefs, `Let's use local products,' '' Marewski says. ``Even bigger than the organic movement is the local and sustainable movement. Our lifestyles are so fragmented that when people go to a place that is holistic, they derive satisfaction. That's what's genuine. The whole thing, the whole package.''

Edited by annecros (log)

I'm so hyped on this place opening.  The Design District is practically a cemetery at night.

Cool! You can be the disignated taster then! :biggrin:

Please come back and tell us about it when you get by there. It would be nice to know if it is worth braving the drive, but it sure sounds good.

I'm so hyped on this place opening.  The Design District is practically a cemetery at night.

Yeah-We've tried to change that for a coupla years, and I think we're almost there-maybe this will be the year! My place is just a few blocks from here, and we have plenty of parking, but we do a LOT of PR to get people here.

Yeah-We've tried to change that for a coupla years, and I think we're almost there-maybe this will be the year! My place is just a few blocks from here, and we have plenty of parking, but we do a LOT of PR to get people here.

I must have missed it, but where is your place and what is it like?

I may have to stop in and harrass you.

:biggrin: