• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Norooz - Where to celebrate Persian New Years?

Krys Stanley

I just found out about this holiday last year. Do any restaurants serve special menus? Is there special food I should look for in Persian Markets? Any special events?

I found these events at the Persian Center in Berkeley which list events and Bazaars in Berkeley & Palo Alto

http://www.persiancenter.org/events.html

- "Chahrshanbeh Souri", TUESDAY, Mar. 13th from 7pm; Jump over bonfires in the street, Persian Style, at the 2000 block of Durant Avenue in Berkeley! There will be fire, food, & dancing.

- Persian Center cordially invites you "NOROUZ 2007", SATURDAY, March 24th, 6:30 pm at Regency Center, 1290 Sutter at Van Ness, San Francisco. The evening will include cultural performances, traditional Persian Dinner, and lots of dancing!

- Kahrizak Foundation is holding the 15th annual Norouz Bazaar on: SUN, Mar 11, 9am-5pm, Palo Alto Elks Lodge, 4249 El Camino Real, Palo Alto; Join us for a fun filled day of community effort to celebrate Norouz with the music of Ostad Nejad, traditional dance by ballet Afsaneh, Amoo Norouz, and homemade Persian food.

- Persian Center cordially invites you "NOROUZ 2007", SATURDAY, March 24th, 6:30 pm at Regency Center, 1290 Sutter at Van Ness, San Francisco. The evening will include cultural performances, traditional Persian Dinner, and lots of dancing!

Thanks for this -- I'm going to try and make it!

If anyone is interested in the Tuesday event, here's a calander that has a lot in California ... all of California. There's an event in San Rafael on the beach ... sounds cool and food seems to be involved in all of this.

http://www.7rooz.com/

Looking forward to your report if you go to that dinner.

Edited by Krys Stanley (log)

Its kismet! My cooking group is doing Middle Eastern foods tonight and my friend who grew up in Turkey and my local expert on all things Persian is coming over to help out! I'll ask her about local celebrations in the Phoenix valley.

Thanks!

From Paul Franson's "NapaLife" weekly newsletter:

"Bistro Zare is throwing a party for Persian New Year. Chef Hoss Zare is throwing a Persian New Year Party on Saturday, March 24 (The new year is actually March 21, the Spring equinox, but it's on a Wednesday, not a good night to party for most people).

The a la carte menu will be totally Persian, and a Persian band will play from 6 to 9:30 p.m., too. A DJ takes over from 10 to 1:30 and Hoss will even have a hooka outside.

Persian food is one of the great treasures of the culinary world, undiscovered partly due to politics. It's also typically wine friendly."

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter