• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

broken atlas pasta maker

JeanneCake

I use my Atlas pasta maker to roll out fondant, chocolate plastique, and gum paste. I've had it for almost a year, and I probably use it once or twice a month (it has a motor). To clean it, I usually run a damp paper towel through it (although the first time I wasn't paying attention and was wiping it with a dish towel, which promptly got stuck in the rollers! I had to cut it away and then it worked like a champ.)

Now, it doesn't "grab" the dough, no matter what setting it is on. The rollers move toward each other when it is on; they also slide wider or narrower depending on which setting is chosen.

The fondant (think dough) doesn't catch automatically, so I try to guide it, but it doesn't grab even then.

Any clues? Is it hopeless? This is the first sign of trouble, it's been fine up to now. The motor still works, maybe I should just get another pasta machine...?

Maybe even a stainless steel scrubber pad, get whatever is on there off, cheaper, and quicker, than a new machine in any case.

Maybe try cleaning the rollers with alcohol (vodka?), I'm thinking maybe something on the rollers (cocoa butter from the chocolate?). Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...
or maybe the rollers are too clean?

One of the gears inside probably broke. I had the same thing happen to my pasta attachment for my KitchenAid when someone tried to clean the rollers with a butter knife while it was still running. I took it back to Macy's and they exchanged it for a new one(It was only two months old). I don't know what kind of warranty your Atlas has, but I'm pretty sure you're going to have to buy a new machine. At least it's not a complete loss. You will still be able to use the same motor.

In case you're wondering.....The KitchenAid attachment works great! That was the only problem I've ever had with it.