• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

food-safe cellophane

prasantrin

Is there really a difference between food-safe cellophane (i.e. cellophane marketed specifically for candy packaging) and non-food-safe cellophane?

I cannot find food-safe cellophane anywhere (need it for wrapping caramels). I can, however, get some cellophane for wrapping gifts. Can I use that, or do I really need to get specialty cellophane?

Is there something I can use instead? I can get foil for wrapping candies, I think, and I have parchment paper. Any other ideas?

Is there really a difference between food-safe cellophane (i.e. cellophane marketed specifically for candy packaging) and non-food-safe cellophane?

I cannot find food-safe cellophane anywhere (need it for wrapping caramels).  I can, however, get some cellophane for wrapping gifts.  Can I use that, or do I really need to get specialty cellophane? 

Is there something I can use instead?  I can get foil for wrapping candies, I think, and I have parchment paper.  Any other ideas?

I'm not sure if there is difference or not. I get my cellophane from here http://www.papermart.com/templates/47-0-15.htm

I use the clear 100 which is fda approved for food use. they are very helpful

Luis