• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

I'm with Sencha...love noodles, don't care for most pasta, especially spaghetti and lasagne. I make my carbonara (which I love) with fettucini.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Most of my food dislikes are texture based, and I've worked hard to get past a lot of them, but a few remain:

Beans -- I hate beans in any way shape or form (but otherwise love Mexican food)

Coffee

Olives

Bananas (just the smell makes me gag)

Eggs - scrambled, fried, omelet - you name it, I can't eat it.

Shellfish

Liver

*gag!* Bell peppers! All kinds... Red, green, yellow, black, orange!!! I swear I must be allergic, why else would my body refuse this one veggie so vigorously!?

Just out of curiosity, can you eat roasted peppers? I can't eat any kind of bell peppers raw; I'll taste them for a week, but if they're roasted and peeled (peeled being the key word) I love them. Even cooked peppers in a casserole or some such destroy me altogether, but after the skin is off I'm fine with them.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

*gag!* Bell peppers! All kinds... Red, green, yellow, black, orange!!! I swear I must be allergic, why else would my body refuse this one veggie so vigorously!?

I'm allergic to those, too (yes, peeled, roasted, whatever). For some reason, though, chilis are fine. :wacko:

Michael aka "Pan"

Well, actually, I despise them the most when they're cooked. If they are raw in a salad, I will pick 'em out and eat the rest. If they've been cooked, the whole dish will be too bell pepperish for me.

Pan, do you like bell peppers?

Tops on my list is cotton candy... I must be the only person who hates the stuff, even as a kid. My wife and children torture me with it when we go to the ballpark, carnival or fair. I'm swallowing hard just writing about it. Yuk!

Mayo in small doses is OK, but Miracle Whip makes me hurl... but not as fast as hitting a stray eggshell in an omlette or potato salad.

Sweet pickles are just plain gross, and I absolutely love a good dill pickle.

Other dislikes include: eggplant, mushrooms, papaya and mango, oysters, and beets... most are mentioned somewhere in this thread. I'll eat them as I encounter them, but would never go out of my way to order them at a restaurant or buy them at the market.

I generally choose savory over sweet and will often turn down dessert for more meat, cheese, bread, veggie or glass of wine.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

wow...i'm glad i'm not alone on the coffee thing. i can't stand the taste or the smell of coffee. i can't even eat tiramisu because i can taste the espresso or kahlua used. and it's particularly hard on me when i'm flying in an airplane because i have a tendancy to get airsick, and the smell of stale coffee really really doesn't help.

i also hate mint. all forms. even leaves and tea. i get strange looks from people when i keep turning down after dinner mints and gum, because i hate the taste. and it's hard for me to watch my friend drink mojitos. :blink:

cilantro. i always know instantly whenever there is cilantro in a dish. my tongue cringes in horror.

don't like olives, but love olive oil.

oh, yeah. cheesecake. that's what brought me into this note in the first place. i can't stand cheesecake, either. :biggrin:

go figure, i'm engaged to a guy who MUST have at least one cup of coffee per day, and loves cheesecake in almost all forms. *sigh*

Edited by sassybat (log)

[...]Pan, do you like bell peppers?

I don't like the taste of green peppers; I don't mind the taste of ripe bell peppers (yellow, orange, red, etc.). But all bell peppers are tough on my stomach. I have a limited tolerance for them, but really prefer to avoid them.

Michael aka "Pan"

Tops on my list is cotton candy...  I must be the only person who hates the stuff, even as a kid.  My wife and children torture me with it when we go to the ballpark, carnival or fair.  I'm swallowing hard just writing about it.  Yuk!

Dude - I'm with you an cotton candy also - candied apples. They are absolutely wretched. Teeth sticking sweetness meets sour mealy apples - what for?!. The combo brings out the worst in eachother. Worse are those 'gourmet' candied apples with sprinkles, m&m's, and icing. Sickening.

That being said - I like just about everything else at the fair. Put a stick in it and deep fry it and I'm there!

Tops on my list is cotton candy...   I must be the only person who hates the stuff, even as a kid.  My wife and children torture me with it when we go to the ballpark, carnival or fair.  I'm swallowing hard just writing about it.  Yuk!

Dude - I'm with you an cotton candy also - candied apples. They are absolutely wretched. Teeth sticking sweetness meets sour mealy apples - what for?!. The combo brings out the worst in eachother. Worse are those 'gourmet' candied apples with sprinkles, m&m's, and icing. Sickening.

That being said - I like just about everything else at the fair. Put a stick in it and deep fry it and I'm there!

I forgot about how much I hate cotton candy. Even as a kid, I hated it because I always felt cheated when I ate cotton candy. I loved to watch them make it, twirling those sticks around that machine and building up the lovely fluffy cotton candy. But then when I ate it, it was so ... nothing! Just nothing. It disintegrated in your mouth and left you with nothing, just a sickly sweet nothing on your tongue. Cotton candy. One of the biggest disappointments of my childhood. :sad:

Ugh... Jambalyle hit the nail on the head with sweet pickles. Why? Why??!!! I can't even smell them. For some reason, a relish tray is obligatory around the holidays and I always make someone else handle them. I can barely even take the jar off the shelf without a pang in the pit of my stomach.

I completely forgot about cotton candy too. It's revolting! The thought of eating it makes me cringe. I don't like bell peppers a lot either. Even roasted and peeled ones. I just don't care for them.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

I don't care for:

green bell peppers (though love red, yellow, orange, etc... and anaheims, jalepenos)

lobster (crab is so much better to eat!- though I did grow up in a N CA crab family- lot's of dungeness)

marshmallows in "salad", or baked with sweet potatoes

sodas (so sweet- it hurts my teeth), I like sparkling water much though

"sweet" coffee, I love coffee- just don't care for it paired with sugar, meaning ice cream or sweet coffee drinks or desserts

chocolate in general- I much prefer fruit desserts or vanilla. Being a Pastry Chef I use a lot of chocolate and understand that many people love it. My dad has an extreme chocolate obsession- my mom doesn't like it or eat it.

cold lamb (yuck)

chicken legs (hate the texture)

buttered corn on the cob- I like just fresh black pepper

I could live without ever eating cheesecake again. It does nothing for me- I would never order it. I always have it on the menu though... it is sooo popular.

-Raw Onions (I hate ALL onions and can understand people not minding them cook, but RAW? I shudder.)

-Lobster (I don't hate it, but figured if I couldn't like it at Jean-Georges, then I couldn't like it anywhere)

-Flan (textural)

-Foie Gras (most...have had good Foie Gras at both Lacriox and Django in Philly however...so might take this one back eventually)

and...CHEESECAKE. You hit it right. Cheesecake tastes disgusting.

Tops on my list is cotton candy...   I must be the only person who hates the stuff, even as a kid.  My wife and children torture me with it when we go to the ballpark, carnival or fair.  I'm swallowing hard just writing about it.  Yuk!

I forgot about how much I hate cotton candy. Even as a kid, I hated it because I always felt cheated when I ate cotton candy. I loved to watch them make it, twirling those sticks around that machine and building up the lovely fluffy cotton candy. But then when I ate it, it was so ... nothing! Just nothing. It disintegrated in your mouth and left you with nothing, just a sickly sweet nothing on your tongue. Cotton candy. One of the biggest disappointments of my childhood. :sad:

There are people like me! :laugh: Absolutely detest cotton candy, candied apples - and, yes, gasp, marshmellows! I've always wanted to fit in with everyone else over the campfire but the white gooey mess didn't do anything for me (except hurt my teeth with its sickening sweetness). Liked burning it though.

and, yes, gasp, marshmellows!  I've always wanted to fit in with everyone else over the campfire but the white gooey mess didn't do anything for me (except hurt my teeth with its sickening sweetness).  Liked burning it though.

I always thought marshmallows were more toy than food - i.e. making "toffee" by squishing them between the fingers, throwing them at each other, etc. (particularly fun since I have long hair). Never could stand the taste.

Sundried tomatoes

Truffles (the fungus, not the chocolate!) Altho it might only be the white ones...I had cheese with white truffles and a sauce with white truffles and both had a strong taste that was unpleasant to me.)

Both of those ingredients are normally received with an "oooh". Except by me. yuk.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 10 months later...

Wow - I agree with the title of this thread - me too! I hate cheescake... okay, hate is a rather strong word... but let's just put it this way: I would MUCH rather go without dessert than eat/order it at a restaurant. However, if you freeze the stuff (ie. cheesecake ice cream), I might eat it if it's the only ice cream flavor available.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I have a co-worker who hates cheesecake, too. Thing is, she has never had cheesecake--not even a tiny little taste. She likes cream cheese, and even flavoured cream cheeses, but claims, "Cheese does not belong in a cake." It is from this idea that her hatred of cheesecake stems.

She doesn't like pies, either, or cream puffs--anything that has crusts or things that are stuffed. She does, however, eat sandwiches and what is a sandwich but some stuffing/filling between two slices of bread/crusts?

If we're talking about irrational food dislikes, I don't like hijiki. It doesn't really taste like anything (except whatever it's cooked with), but I don't like it. I"m not a big fan of konnyaku, either, except in sukiyaki. And chicken breasts. They're dry and flavourless, but I know they're not really that bad. I just don't like them.

More rational (at least to me) food dislikes, I hate beer and coffee without milk. Beer has a horrible flavour and much too much carbonation. Black coffee (and coffee without sugar) almost always tastes bitter. But coffee with milk is fine.

Yay, I don't feel as odd now. :P

Things I can't stand

Oysters- raw, cooked, in stuff... YUCK. Tried it in a few incarnations, hated them all.

Wine- Tried quite a few times, 1 taste and almost always a gag reaction. :x

Beer- Just tastes like carbonated bitter water...

Clams- I loveee clam chowder, but i hate clams in any other form(strips, whole, sauteed etc)

Mussels- See clams. :x They just seem so... rubbery!

Cilantro- Ewww. Just smelling it ruins my appetite

Celetry- See Cilantro. Same effects. Makes me wanna gag.

Raw tomato- Can't stand it. Have to pick it out of salads and burgers and stuff

Raw onions- to me, it overpowers everything and anything. Cooked onions are awesome though.

Red sauce- On pizza, pasta.. ewww.

Cream cheese- I don't mind it in frostings as much or in sweetened stuff, but eh, the block of cream cheese just tastes like milk gone bad to me. :x

Pies- Don't like them, be it apple, peach, chocolate, banana cream. Usually too sweet, or too tart or don't like the texture (hate cooked fruit)

Bell peppers- cooked or raw. yucks. :(

Diet sodas- I rather drink water. It leaves a really icky aftertaste for me, and I feel sick after even drinking a sip.

Chestnuts- roasted, or waterchestnuts in chinese food, they all just have really icky textures for me.

Raw cookie dough- can't stand the texture and the thought of eating raw flour/eggs. Just feels... slimey?

Uh oh, after previewing the post... seems like I'm a reallllly picky eater. :(

A close friend of mine was shocked to discover over the weekend that I really, really despise shitake mushrooms. I hate them with the firey passion of a thousand burning suns. They completely overpower any dish they are in to the point that you can taste nothing but those damned shitakes. And what's worse is they're soooo trendy. And everyone claims to looooove them. Gak. They are revolting.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!