• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

There are lots of "normal" foods that I don't like, namely white milk, eggs on their own or in quiches, etc., liver, raw onions and hamburgers. I can handle ground beef in chili if it's well cooked and broken up so there aren't any lumps, but that's it. I'm ok with eggs in baked goods, and onions are fine, even great, if they're well cooked.

But bring on the coffee, olives and raw tomatoes!! :wub:

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

I have to vote for coffee here, I'm surprised there are so many other people here who don't drink coffee :raz: I also dont like Papaya, it's just something about the smell which doesn't allow me to put it anywhere near my mouth :blink:

We're talking about foods we hate but most people like, right?

Mine is apples. There are a few varieties that are acceptable (Crispin, Ginger Gold, Pink Lady come to mind), but most make me want to gag - especially Macintosh. Biting into a mealy apple makes me shudder. Apple pie? Yes. Applesauce? Sure. Raw apple? Bleah.

Oh, and they have to be sliced before I eat them because I hate biting into a whole apple. Actually, I prefer that most fruit be cut up before I eat it - that's how to be sure there's nothing living inside. :blink:

I have a dear friend who hates ice cream and chocolate. Now that's a freak!

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (sugar, anyone?) Chocolate ice cream with meringue on top. Actually I like a good homemade lemon meringue pie cuz the lemon cut the sweetness but chocoate ice cream and meringue is just too sickeningly sweet for words.

I like chocolate, I really do but the double dense decadence chocolate extravaganzas that some restaurants that serve just remind me of Ex-Lax tablets.

Another beef is when textures get mixed up. I HATE rice puddle. You put a nice smooth creamy spoon of pudding in your mouth and get surprised by these hard little rice bits. Ditto for nuts in cake and brownies. I'm all set to enjoy a melt in your mouth brownie when a pecan rears its ugly head. Nuts and rice by themselves are perfectly delightful - just not mixed up in some creamy or soft thing.

Bananas. I must be the only cyclist on the face of the earth who doesn't like bananas. Oook: the taste, the texture, and most of all the smell. If my husband wants them, he needs to bring them in to work and eat them there.

However, fried plantains are fine!

MelissaH

I'm essentially the same for me in the U.S., but when I get to Malaysia, one of the first things I want is some delicious Malaysian bananas. When they've ripened on the tree, they're really wonderful. At least, I think so. :raz:

Michael aka "Pan"

ketchup. I just don't get it. I have learned to eat it with fries occasionally, but the idea of putting it on a hamburger or

hotdog totally freaks me out.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Bananas. I must be the only cyclist on the face of the earth who doesn't like bananas. Oook: the taste, the texture, and most of all the smell. If my husband wants them, he needs to bring them in to work and eat them there.

MelissaH

I'm essentially the same for me in the U.S., but when I get to Malaysia, one of the first things I want is some delicious Malaysian bananas. When they've ripened on the tree, they're really wonderful. At least, I think so. :raz:

I have also hated bananas until I went to Coast Rica ate them the way they should be eaten, wow! it was like a whole other fruit.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My brother likes to spread it on salami, roll it into a tube and pop it into his mouth.  Ohhh... my tummy. 

I haven't eaten this is so long....

I could have lived on salami and cream cheese, this is one of the best food combinations there is.

:angry: now I have a craving that I won't be able to satisfy for 6 more weeks (until I get back to Cleveland..)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I long ago realized that I learned to cook because I didnt like anything.....Raw tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, mayo, relish, olives, cream cheese ( I work in a deli by the way)....coffee, goat cheese....

I didnt eat cheesecake for many years as a child because I found out it was made of cream cheese :blink:

I was very lucky that in my house if you didnt like it ..dinner... you could go make an egg... I make great scrambled eggs :cool:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Oatmeal, though I often cut my Wheaties with raw oats and wheat germ.

Gummi Bears.

Licorice.

Granny Smith apples.

Most chocolate cakes.

Grape jelly/grape juice/grape gum--the smell of grape gum gives me a headache. And I don't really love grapes anymore. Though I love cold grape soda on a hot day.

Watermelon.

Just started liking chocolate ice cream this year!

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Count me in on the anti-coffee crowd. I don't mind a touch of coffee added to a chocolate dessert to deepen the flavor, but if I get any real hint of coffee in it, forget it. No to coffee ice cream, coffee shakes, iced coffee. Once in a great, great while, I will get a frappucino type drink, as long as it has plenty of chocolate in it. Somehow, I did manage to drink cappucinos on trips to Italy, but I'm not sure how.

Canned fish. About the only way I like tuna is raw or just seared. For some reason, once it's cooked, it loses all appeal for me.

Eggs other than scrambled or omelettized. Something about the yolk that just makes me gag. I will eat the white off a hard-boiled egg and leave the yolk. Fried eggs or soft-boiled, no way.

Liver, especially pate. I've tried. I really have, but I just think it tastes the way my cat's food smells. :sad::hmmm:

Soft white American style sandwich bread. I love good French bread. I love nice white dinner rolls. But that white sandwich bread? Bleah. Growing up with whole wheat and other multi-grained varieties, plus not liking sandwiches as a kid anyway, I somehow missed the appeal of the soft white bread.

Add me to the mustard camp, too. Always thought it tasted off somehow, and whenever it's been anywhere near a sandwich, I can taste it straight away, and I'll usually take off that piece of bread and eat the sandwich open-faced.

But bring on the cheesecake, fresh tomatoes, olives, asparagus, chocolate and ice cream, and top it all off with papaya!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Tofu. WTF is up with tofu? I don't care if it's the soft or the firm kind, the texture is yucky and the taste is icky.

Yes, I've had it prepared well. Lemme alone. Eat your own damn tofu and I don't CARE how good it is for me.

Powdered non-dairy creamer in coffee, which is absolutely EVERYWHERE in the American South. What the hell is wrong with milk? Cream? Half & half?

Pickles, with the single exception of those super-crispy bright green half-sours found in really good delis that are more like cucumbers with a little vinegar.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Scotch & Brandy, ick.

I love the booze, don't get me wrong. Vodka, tequilla, rum, whisky you name it I love it. But Scotch and Brandy are awful! My DH has a bottle of 35 year old single malt and even that is awful. I know it is all very fine quality but those 2 just don't get it for me. I wonder why???

Raw shrimp or lobster (or any shellfish really - exept oysters) sashimi - grossly sweet and plastic-y texture. You can't even chew it fast and try to swallow it - it gums up on your teeth and sticks in your mouth getting sicklier and warmer as you try desparately to swallow.

I'm nausous. :wacko:

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I hate peanut butter. Really hate it. I'll eat spicy Asian peanut sauces, as long as there's enough heat.

My kids never had peanut butter until they visited friends homes or went to school.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I hate beer too.

I never liked ketchup or mayo, was always a mustard girl.

Never could eat raw tomatoes, but some years ago, I trained myself to like them, started having them on sandwiches and burgers, etc. That all went out the window a year ago when I got terrible food poisoning from a fast food "bbq beef" sandwich that had a slice of fake american cheese, lettuce and tomato on it. Now, I can stomach a raw tomato, but i can not have a hot sandwich dressed with the cold veggies. horrible.

Serves me right for getting a sandwich at a MALL in New Orleans. WHAT was I thinking??

I'm with you on bananas. Nothing like eyeing what looks to be a delicious pie, only to find banana slices lurking in the center. Plantains are another thing alogether, thankfully.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Mexican food. I don't intensely dislike it, but everyone seems to be completely insane over it -- I find it boring and repetitive, and quite frankly, I can't tell the difference between a family-run joint and Taco Bell...

I told someone in Texas about this, and they agreed that you can't get good Mexican food in California, and took me to what they promised was The Real Deal. Well, it looked identical to any Mexican restaurant I've been to here. And it tasted like Taco Bell.

Maybe I'll need to start cooking the stuff, to better understand it, but there's just so many other cuisines to learn out there... Maybe one day.

I'm with Canucklehead on the crustacean sashimi. It's like putting a lump of textural insidiousness in your mouth - it ducks under the teeth so no chewing ever helps you swallow it. :hmmm:

I have a very sharp sense of smell so a lot of strong odours make me gag. Some of these include bananas (the peel), guavas, papayas, cinnamon candy, sugar (like the smell of boiled sweets or caramel), aniseed and persimmons. Which means anything with these odours associated with them (like liquorice) send me screaming and running in the opposite direction. :shock:

Strangely enough though, in my house garlic is a vegetable not a seasoning, and I adore durian to the point that when travelling in SE Asia in durian season I have to be forcibly made to wind the taxi windows up. :rolleyes:

On the other hand my biological training kicks in to stop me being comfortable eating raw oysters. Raw, carefully prepared and selected slices of animal muscle are fine - if you want me to eat the entire thing raw, guts, gonads and all, you'd better cook it. I've tried very hard to actually overcome this but I've never found the actual flavour payoff to be quite enough compensation.

I'm certainly not the only bundle of contradictions revealed in this thread! :laugh:

" ..Is simplicity the best

Or simply the easiest

The narrowest path

Is always the holiest.. "

--Depeche Mode - Judas

I don't think I've mentioned yet in this thread that I hate colas. Coke is even worse than Pepsi, but I hate both of them. There are few sodas I like, and I always find it hard to understand how people with good taste in food can eat it with a Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, 7-Up, whatever. The few sodas I like have a good taste of real fruit or other essence (e.g., Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray celery soda). Mineral water can be fun, though.

Michael aka "Pan"