• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

Yeah, I forgot: I don't like goat cheese unless it has almost no goat-smell taste. There are examples of such. I also don't like blue-veined cheeses unless they're of really high quality. For example, I always thought I disliked Roquefort until I had some at Grand Vefour, a Michelin 3-star in Paris.

Michael aka "Pan"

I as well as many of you out there have probably posted their food likes and dislikes before on various threads here. But as you state the question and if I understand correctly, torakris, these would be foods that are so universally beloved that people are literally stunned when you say you don't like them.

For me it is whole wheat bread. Supermarket wheat bread is not all that great, but I am also talking about wheat bread from health food stores. I don't know why, I just don't like it. I really like good multi-grain bread as well as good white bread (Pepperidge Farm, IMHO), trashy white bread, rye, pumpernickel, Challah, foccacia, injera, you name it. I just can't stand whole wheat bread.

An office mate recently made me gasp with the fact that she doesn't like....................... PUDDING :shock: I mean how could you not like pudding? Isn't that, like, un-American or something?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Coffee. And yes, I've had really good coffee. If only it tasted like it smells, I'd be a fan.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Raw tomatoes.  ANY raw tomatoes.  Heirloom, Jersey tomatoes in August...doesn't matter.  Hate 'em.

And olives.  BLEAH.

To which I say:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

That's worse than hating pudding :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Coffee. And yes, I've had really good coffee. If only it tasted like it smells, I'd be a fan.

Yeah, I can't drink coffee, either, though I am OK eating things that are coffee-flavored, because they aren't as bitter. Somehow, other types of bitterness like bitter melon are OK for me. :raz::wacko:

Michael aka "Pan"

Not me, but I actually have a friend who dislikes chocolate in any way, shape or form. He doesn't have an allergy, mind you, but an aversion. :blink:

More for me, I always say!

There are very few foods I can't tolerate, but I just don't get the obsession with chocolate. I like it okay, so long as it is quite bitter, and in very small amounts. I get kind of irritated by those ads that make it sound like every woman has a mini orgasm eating the stuff. Personally, I'd rather have a good tart orange.

Kris, my husband also hates cheesecake. I like it about as much as I like chocolate, which is to say...meh.

I agree whole heartedly! It doesn't have the heft it should have, based on its fragrance.

In the dairy theme...I don't go gah gah for icecream...in fact I really don't like it sometimes...it smells. I remeber as a kid going to some dairy place where they made the stuff smelled like vomit to me!

come to think of it - I think papaya tastes like "spit"

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I dislike coffee in any form and I really hate when a chocolate dessert has coffee or mocha added and I don't find out until I take a bite. i've had coffee loving friends tell me they're going to teach me to like coffee but they never got anywhere with that idea. I used to live in Portland, Or and Seattle so I love to go have "coffee" but I have hot chocolate.

Oh, I need to add: white grapefruit, endive--white and green--, frisee (same as green endive?) and radicchio. I've had people look at me like I have at least two heads because I have tried over and over again to like them, but now cannot make myself like these foods. But I really have tried these items over and over again. I don't undertand it either. I adore coffee, chocolate, Chinese broccoli, hardy greens as in collards, kale, mustard greens with all of their bitter components, but can't tolerate the bitterness of those aforementioned items. Why? It seems that I have some kind of bitterness threshhold that makes me hate those items. As for for the white grapefruit, from time to time I get a craving for ruby red grapefruit, even then I have to sprinkle it with a bit of white or raw sugar.

Strange. :wacko:

Put another checkmark in the coffee column. I probably drink two or three cups a year, and only out of desperation (for the caffeine).

also:

hot tea

honeydew

cantaloupe

WATERMELON - blech!

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Another vote for coffee. I don't particularly like the taste, and to boot, I can't seem to handle the acidity, so I feel slightly nauseous for hours after drinking some. :wacko:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Canned tuna, canned salmon, hard-boiled eggs, pickles and liver.

Also Vienna Sausages. My mother used to give them to us when we were kids and after my brother was born, I helped her diaper him. I told her that I couldn't eat them anymore because they reminded me of my brother's pee pee. :shock:

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Any type of egg where the yolk is runny. Besides having an odd smell, you have to jump up and rinse off the plate right away or else the yolk is glued on!!

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

Canned tuna, canned salmon, hard-boiled eggs, pickles and liver.

Ditto on the canned fish. It tastes like cans.

I also understand perfectly about cheesecake and mayonnaise, although homemade mayonnaise and have some kinds of cheesecake have brought me around recently. There's something about rich creaminess combined with the wrong taste that can be just-- gak.

I used to think I disliked virtually all beers, until recently. I still don't love beer generally, however. That bitterness factor, again. No really dry, bitter wine for me, either -- which doesn't mean I like fortified Manischewitz. :wacko:

Michael aka "Pan"

I used to think I disliked virtually all beers, until recently. I still don't love beer generally, however. That bitterness factor, again. No really dry, bitter wine for me, either -- which doesn't mean I like fortified Manischewitz. :wacko:

Because Belgium is a such a Beer Mecca, I did try a Cherry Beer there that was very good, but I only tried it because I'd read that it was great, but it was more like drinking alcoholic Cherry Coke in a way. Beyond that I keep trying to like it, but not quite yet.

Emma Peel

rice, except: in the form of risotto, a rice pudding or a bowl of plain japanese rice next to my plate of sashimi.

Basmati rice with curry.. ugh (to the rice, that is. Just give me the curry with some naan or potatoes). I think I just hate rice with sauce! Dry white rice covered in something saucy.. no, no, no.

raw onions.

I really hate cheesecake, even the smell bothers me.

I can each pretty much anythingelse in this world but I can not stand cheesecake.

People can understand when I say I don't care for brussel sprouts because this a food people love to hate, along with beets, etc.

Why can people not understand my hatred of cheesecake? Everywhere I go I get it pushed on me. "Here try this one, everyone loves it" "You've never had it this way before", you get the picture.

Do you have any foods that you just can't eat that no one seems to understand?

I have yet to meet another person who doesn't like cheesecake...anyone? :smile:

You aren't alone. Although I love cheesecake, my late DH couldn't stand it, either. Didn't like the texture or the milkieness since he was lactose intolerant.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

Wine. I don't understand wine. I don't hate it, but I'd far rather have the grape juice.

I tried, I really did. I bought a few books on wine for beginners, asked my local LCBO for recommendations and drank them with appropriate foods... and still, huh?