• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

1. any casserole made with cream of anything soup

2. beef liver (love chicken livers)

3. any other offal (wont even consider it)

4. anything that could be remotely described as slimy

5. warm canned tuna

6. brussels sprouts (tho i tolerate them now with lots of butter and garlic)

7. anything with tentacles

8. bologna and any other packaged mystery meats (olive loaf?!?!?!?!)

9. lamb i have tried it every way imaginable and i cant get the ick off my tongue. i am officially done trying it.

10. anchovies. i quit using Lea & Perrins on principle when i heard it had anchovies in it

11. escargot i simply cannot bring myself to get past the ick factor

when i was young, my mother made vichyssoise one night for dinner. well, i got it in my head that cold potato soup was not for me. my father was in a mood and forced me to eat it. i assured him he would regret it. he did. tho he made me clean up the vomit, so i guess he won. .....

i love a good vichyssoise now.

xo

Edited by ElfWorks (log)

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

1. Beans. As a child, I only saw them prepared two ways: Barbecued and poured into a large foil tin at picnics with the flies buzzing around and my mom's big pot of brown beans stewing in nasty-looking brown juice.

2. Canned salmon patties. 'Nuff said.

3. Grape soda. Once you retch this stuff up (especially when combined with the jumbo can of corn you had with your lunch), there's no going back.

4. Cottage cheese. My sister would slather this on two slices of white bread, seal, and eat. Yuck.

5. Those weird pink and green salads you always see at family reunions (with whipped topping, nuts, canned mandarin oranges, jello, marshmallows, and other ingredients that should never co-exist).

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Has anything good ever been made of canned salmon? My mother, normally a pretty decent cook, once tried to get us to eat an abomination called "Salmon Wiggle," which was basically canned salmon in a flour and milk sauce. There may have been peas involved. I've blocked it out.

My hated childhood food was hot dogs. (Yet I loved bologna. It's all about temperature.) No one could believe a child would hate hot dogs, so I spent many lonely hours at the dinner table.

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

Has anything good ever been made of canned salmon?

Oh yes - certainly. Salmon Kotletkii (as discussed in my foodblog) - in fact, I don't think I've ever made them with fresh. Delicious. I also make a good salmon loaf, and my mother's very last dinner was a spiced-up salmon patty sort of thing - as always, she had seen the recipe somewhere and thought it looked interesting; she wasn't up to cooking by then but she gave me the recipe and I made it and it was damn good. Sure, given my druthers I'd rather use fresh, but when you live 20 miles away from the nearest anything it's good to know you can make a very acceptable, more than acceptable, meal out of that canned salmon in the pantry.

EDIT to add: a recurring theme here and elsewhere on eG - an awful lot of these things are what you make of them. Some stuff is good and some isn't, and an awful lot of that is in who cooks it and when and how. Like the not-always-apocryphal stories you hear where a great pianist sits down at a dreadful old clunker of an upright and makes it sound like a Bechstein grand. Most puzzling is when a good cook produces something bad and doesn't recognize the fact; nevertheless, I bet I could make a form of Salmon Wiggle that you would enjoy. Alternatively, if it turned out a real abomination I would neither eat it myself nor make anyone else do so; I'd order pizza even if I had to make a 45-minute round trip to get it.

Edited by balmagowry (log)

Sweet potatoes. ick ick ick. They were usually in a casserole with a marshmallow topping. There were also sweet potato patties that you pan fried and called "yams". I just could NOT swallow this without gagging or getting the dry heaves.

I'll join the ranks of the liver haters. chicken and beef. I'm sure some of you wonderful cooks could make tasty liver, and I would try it...if there was something else to nosh on just in case :wink: )

Nasty canned veggies are on my list too.

Brussel sprouts.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

My mother, normally a pretty decent cook, once tried to get us to eat an abomination called "Salmon Wiggle," which was basically canned salmon in a flour and milk sauce.

Or...as it's known in fine French cookbooks... BLEHmange. :raz:

When I was a kid, liver was right up there. Not chicken livers, but beef and pork. Detested cauliflower, parsnips, and brussels sprouts as well. Aside from that I didn't have much to worry about, since there were only about six or seven vegetables known to Nova Scotian stores in the early 70's.

Today, liver is one of my very favourite things...the best part of most critters (old-timers like flipper pie, but I say the liver is the best part of a seal hands-down). Same with other offal...mmmmmmmmm. I like brussels sprouts too, though generally I'll avoid them unless I've cooked them myself. Cauliflower could still disappear from the face of the earth, as far as I'm concerned, and I'll cheerfully carry its luggage to the rocket ship. Same with parsnips.

Not too many other foods I dislike intrinsically, though. Just cauliflower and parsnips, with (dis-) honourable mention to avocadoes.

Of course, in the case of purely wrong-headed preparation, count me out on most foodstuffs. One of my aunts considers meat underdone if you can't take it in your hands and *break* it. Ugh.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My mother could never induce her only girl-child to eat spinach- the canned variety, no less. Yet when Poppa showed his muscles and said "See, just like Popeye!" I have loved it ever since. :wub:

My mom got me with that little trick, too.

Still dislike, and can't seem to get over, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and mayoinnaise. Although I'm considering sneaking a cauliflower into the house one night and roasting it, just out of curiosity.

Processed Swiss cheese in a plastic wrapper. Ate only one slice, more than enough for a lifetime of memories. Bitter. Congealed gall. Ptoooey. How did this end up in our house? Well, Mom was great at inadvertently buying the wrong item by not reading the package before tossing the item in the grocery cart.

My Mother used to make an abomination called Stuffed Cabbage for my Father - it was a special occasion dish. Small cabbages cut in half, then hollowed. Ground beef sauteed with onions and pepper, then placed in the cabbages. Some sort of thin canned tomato gruel was poured into the dish, to braise it as it baked for an hour and a half. The torture of this meal lay in the anticipation of the horrors of eating it: The smell carried halfway down the street: The pungent aroma of cabbage, tomato and onions......and we'd know we'd have to choke down this bitterness yet again.

I doubt I'd enjoy this meal even as an adult with (ever-so-slightly) blunted tastebuds.............too much emotional trauma.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

When I was little, I hadn't yet figured out what it was that I did or didn't like about particular dishes. I thought that the reason that I didn't like egg salad was the mayo, but really it was the onions. I love mayo now.

At some point in college, with much intraspection, I developed The List Of Things I Will Not Eat. There are exactly five things:

1. Onions (this includes Green Onions, but not shallots)

2. Mushrooms

3. Olives

4. Cilantro

5. Beer

Anything else from foie gras to brussel sprouts is fair game.

-Emily

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

• 1 year later...

I really hate cheesecake, even the smell bothers me.

I can each pretty much anythingelse in this world but I can not stand cheesecake.

People can understand when I say I don't care for brussel sprouts because this a food people love to hate, along with beets, etc.

Why can people not understand my hatred of cheesecake? Everywhere I go I get it pushed on me. "Here try this one, everyone loves it" "You've never had it this way before", you get the picture.

Do you have any foods that you just can't eat that no one seems to understand?

I have yet to meet another person who doesn't like cheesecake...anyone? :smile:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Raw tomatoes. ANY raw tomatoes. Heirloom, Jersey tomatoes in August...doesn't matter. Hate 'em.

And olives. BLEAH.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Not really big on eating cheesecakes myself.....although I do make them a lot!!

I have the same problem with friends, family, etc, when it comes to spicy foods. I just don't

like spicy!!!! Thai, Mexican......I enjoy it, but with very very very very little spice!

Yeah, I'm the pansy that orders items on the Thai menu with ZERO STARS. So shoot me.

It seems everyone around me just loves it......and me, with my Scandinavian palate stands

alone.....usually eating the pastry, because, well, it's not spicy.

Maybe that's why I became a pastry chef...... :laugh:

I've never liked caviar. Googly brine. But then again, it's very expensive, so I seldom have occasion to be offered it, anyway. One thing that's funny is that I like mint in leaf form only. That means, no mint-flavored sweets, jelly, nothing, but mint tea and leaves are pleasant to me. I can't explain why, but it hasn't caused me much trouble.

Michael aka "Pan"

Duck, nearly any form of it. But I have been known to nibble on a piece of crisp duck skin every now and then.

Lamb has sort of a weird goat-cheese taste to it. Not surprisingly, I don't like goat cheese either.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda