• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

Overcooked meat

Lima beans

Brussel sprouts

Canned Peas

Green peppers

Now that I'm an adult, the list is still the same.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Frozen pot pies(I guess the inner gravy wasn't glue but there was a resemblance...)

Canned cream of chicken soup

Canned spaghetti (Curse you,Chef Boy-ar-dee !!!)

I taught myself to cook at a tender age in self-defense!

Every new food you try adds a year to your life.Therefore,I am immortal ;=)

Then and now:

brussel sprouts

skim milk

squash

turnip

fish

Then, but love now

calves liver

spinach

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm with you NulloModo. Although until this thread I hadn't realized that I had never had liver. So, three nights ago, I was at a local Turkish place and ordered...fried chicken livers. Phenomenal. It was so good that the next night, I asked my mother to pick me up a takeout of more fried chicken livers. I have liver on the brain. Now it's time to try beef liver.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

I never had the liver problem. My mom cooked calves liver beautifully, as she did with chicken livers. Julia's chicken liver pate was a staple in our house. When I was older, and came home for visits, I would cook a meal of anything that my parents wanted. Dad always opted for steak, Mom and I had liver. Mm-mm-good!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Growing up, I hated hated *hated* asparagus. The problem, of course, is that the only asparagus ever served in our house was the slimy, nasty canned stuff.

I was a couple of years out of college before I ate a few bites of lightly steamed, fresh asparagus, at a dinner party, to be polite. Revelation! I was instantly hooked. Now, of course, I can't get enough of the stuff. When the local asparagus hits the greenmarket, I am one happy camper.

enrevanche <http://enrevanche.blogspot.com>

Greenwich Village, NYC

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.

- Mark Twain

Brussel Sprouts is top of my list. Didn't like them as a kid, still don't like them as an adult.

Just seemed like really bitter miniature cabbage in my book. YUCK!

Granted there are a few other foods my mom made that still turn my nose today, but that one tops them all.

I have almost nothing new to add to what's already here, except to mention the most disgusting, vile concoction I have eaten anywhere: my mother's salmon loaf (I shudder just typing the words)--sort of like meatloaf, made from cheap canned salmon (chalky vertrbrae intact....crunching into one of those was a truly nasty surprise), cooked until dry (naturally), and served with a pasty creamed-pea (made with canned peas, of course) sauce. I know I've gone on about this in at least two other threads here, but it was so traumatic I'm still working through it.

Like many others, childhood was full of foods I thought I hated as a genre, but found out later I liked when prepared well (poor Mom....her heart just wasn't in cooking. I suppose it's to be expected from someone who once said to me, "I don't understand you....I don't get any aesthetic enjoyment at all from eating--I do it simply to satisfy the physical urge of hunger." Makes me wonder who my real mother was.)

Memories....(like the corners of my mind!)... pork roast cooked to an almost unbelievable dryness, to which a can of raw sauerkraut was added to the roasting about 20 minutes before the end (which ended up tasting like....raw sauerkraut!). Yes, I honestly thought I hated pork growing up (are you amused slkinsey and bergerka?). All those canned vegetables, and the frozen ones weren't much better. And frozen fish sticks....does anyone actually like these besides lesbians?

Some things I disliked then and dislike now:

Cold sandwiches invoving packaged "lunchmeat" and mass-produced bread

Most kinds of Cambell's canned soup

Any salad whose principal ingredient is iceberg lettuce

Raw veggies in general

Lemon desserts, or sweetened lemon anything (I love savory lemon)

Coconut desserts

Grapefruit

Any number of canned goods: almost all vegetables, fruit cocktail (ick!), those horrible La Choy "Chinese" creations

From aliwaks' post above:

...she does not eat things that still have thier face or lamb, after a traumatic incident involving a family pet and a BBQ growing up in Venezuela

Now I'm DYING to know more about that one!

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Things I still don't like:

Fruit cocktail.

Bologna.

Mayonnaise.

The crumbly bits of cereal in the bottom of the box. We couldn't have a new box till the old one was empty, so somebody had to eat it. (I used reverse psychology on my boys with the bottom of the box--told them that was the sugariest part, and they fought over who got to eat it.)

Potato salad. I don't think I have ever tasted it, it just looks vile.

Oatmeal.

Canned peas and carrots, always added to tuna casserole, "for color"--should be a felony.

Things I wouldn't eat then but love now:

Brussels sprouts, lima beans, green peppers, onions.

Edited by sparrowgrass (log)
sparrowgrass

Eric M's post just reminded me of another...Ham Loaf-Sorry Grandma.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

From aliwaks' post above:

...she does not eat things that still have thier face or lamb, after a traumatic incident involving a family pet and a BBQ growing up in Venezuela

Now I'm DYING to know more about that one!

pet pig + pig roast don't ask why she won't eat lamb but will still eat pork, somehow the gaminess of lamb translates to BBQ pet pig, poor thing almost had an asthma attack watching me eat twin lobsters, I had to make napkin masks for thier faces.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

. And frozen fish sticks....does anyone actually like these besides lesbians?

!

Are fish sticks a lesbian thing? Never heard that.

Did notice that the lesbians who dined at my restaurant always ordered their meat (and fish) well done. My chef same thing happened at the restaurant she used to work at. A few chef's have confirmed this is a "thing"..at least it is in Philadelphia.

Did notice that the lesbians who dined at my restaurant always ordered their meat (and fish) well done. My chef same thing happened at the restaurant she used to work at. A few chef's have confirmed this is a "thing"..at least it is in Philadelphia.

:biggrin: Um, with all due respect, have you considered the possibility that there were some Secret Lesbians -- you know, lesbians you didn't recognize as lesbians -- who opted for medium-rare? Unless you made a habit of explicitly surveying your guests' sexual preferences, I'm not sure you have any real statistical significance here.

Did notice that the lesbians who dined at my restaurant always ordered their meat (and fish) well done. My chef same thing happened at the restaurant she used to work at.  A few chef's have confirmed this is a "thing"..at least it is in Philadelphia.

:biggrin: Um, with all due respect, have you considered the possibility that there were some Secret Lesbians -- you know, lesbians you didn't recognize as lesbians -- who opted for medium-rare? Unless you made a habit of explicitly surveying your guests' sexual preferences, I'm not sure you have any real statistical significance here.

You are right Mags, no disrespect to lesbians or secret lesbians it just so happened that there were a few lesbian couples who were regulars and they always ordered their food well done, and my chef had worked in a restaurant with a large gay clientel and she mentioned that she noticed that.

Beets, beets, beets, beets and beets and lima beans. .

I once sat several hours at the dining room table rather than eat lima beans. My Mother loved lima beans and took my dislike of lima beans as just one more example of my contraryness.

The revulsion I feel for beets, is known only to the psychologist I went to in the mid 1980's to find out why I was so miserably unhappy at work. Her conclusions were that I was miserable at work because I had a thankless job which didn't even offer the consolation of decent pay, and if Mother or Father had explained what happened that night in the sun parlor instead of shouting at my brother and me to go to our bedrooms, take the dog with us, and stay there until morning I might not find the appearence of beets so distressful.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Liver and onions, caramelized to extinction and the meat cooked to iron oblivon. Drowned in ketchup, no dice, sitting alone in a wash of tears over a stone cold plate.

Though I cook professionally, I only begrudgingly respect the humble onion.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Are fish sticks a lesbian thing? Never heard that.

I've noticed that it sort of is, although vegetable lasagna is more of one. Some friends of mine and I have a running joke that whenever one is invited to dinner at the home of some sisters of Sappho, it seems that one is always served vegetable lasagna. :laugh:

As for the pet/BBQ incident....I must say it never occurred to me that it would be a pet pig (and she still eats pork!).... I was picturing a kitty or a pomeranian immolating itself in an open barbecue pit! Or at the very least a disappearing pet rabbit...

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

And egg salad. Never, ever will I eat egg salad, not ever ever.

I'm with you on that. I would also add other mayo-based salads, like chicken salad and tuna salad.

Also, I have never really liked squash. This started when I was a kid, and I have never gotten over it.

However, unlike many folks, I absolutely love beets, and they are perhaps my favorite veggie! :biggrin:

Jean

I forgot one, or maybe just blocked it out until now:

Veg-All

I hate this stuff with a passion. I never tasted a fresh spring pea until I bought and fixed them for myself. This amalgamation of pseudo-vegetables should be banned.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

My mother could never induce her only girl-child to eat spinach- the canned variety, no less. Yet when Poppa showed his muscles and said "See, just like Popeye!" I have loved it ever since. :wub:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks