• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

There's another herb used in Vietnamese cooking though - I only know the Latin name, Hoyttunia. It has heart shaped leaves. It's often referred to as "Vietnamese coriander" but to me the flavor is more like the worst part of the "fishy" taste of sardines.

"Fish mint" is one name. More info here on Wikipedia.

I love sardines, but houttuynia is one of the few things I can't eat. Blech.

Until last week I used to HATE truffles, like eating a sweaty  armpit, *shudder*,  but, ...

You mean you've actually tasted sweaty armpits before? :raz:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Until last week I used to HATE truffles, like eating a sweaty  armpit, *shudder*,  but, ...

You mean you've actually tasted sweaty armpits before? :raz:

hehehe, but seriously Doddie, haven't you ever been stuck next to someone who smelled so bad that their old stale sweat seemed to pour down your nose and into the back of your throat?? eg. London tube at peak hour (vs HK MTR where it is haam yu odour that is the random killer vs crowded elevator in Seoul where it is garlic :blink: .....maybe vegemite in Oz, but as I am an afficionado I wouldn't notice that one :biggrin: )

Someone once told me that SPAM tasted like people, so I though that I would be adoring it. People, BTW taste like pork. But, SPAM tastes NOTHING like people, OR pork. :sad:

...have you tried it sauteed with fava beans and a nice chianti?

Isn't that for the liver? I prefer a nice butt roast, myself. Well, ahem, I'm just sayin' I BELIEVE that I would, if it were a socially acceptable and legal foodstuff. I, of course, although I have been known to break the social laws, would NEVER break any legal taboos. No, Nope, I wouldn't. Not me. I'm just as simple as I seem, honest! :huh:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 11 years later...

Host's note: this post and the ensuing topic were moved from the Dinner 2019 topic.

I was brought up too on the eat it or starve principle. Put me off many foods for years. I remember particularly one fish dish that I was being forced to eat when I knew the fish was off. My parents' philosophy changed forever when I threw up all over them and was rushed to hospital!

I swore that I would never do that to my children. They were allowed to reject anything, provided they tasted it once, or even  better twice. The both grew up as adventurous eaters.

As for me, I didn't eat fish for about twenty years, but now if I had to go any kind of 'x-arian', it would be pescatarian. And my world travels have led me to eat many things that I would never have considered food as a kid or for too long after. I resent the waste of time my parents forced on me, but understand their motives. They grew up under wartime rationing when food was scarce.

Most of my favourites are things I hated or never knew as a kid.

I have little patience with people who say they don't like something without ever having tried it.

Of course, corn was never edible.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

35 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@liuzhou

its odd not to like corn.  wonder if you were served ' starchy ' corn 

the kind grown for animal feed.

green bells I can understand

not so much sweet corn

to each their own experiences

I've answered that suggestion several times. It has nothing to do with sweet or starchy or any other characteristic other than it being corn. I loathe all kinds and all preparations.

And I don't think it is at all odd. I know other people who agree with me and share my dislike.

I'm sure I enjoy many things you consider almost inedible, too. I'm not a fussy eater - quite the reverse.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I've answered that suggestion several times. It has nothing to do with sweet or starchy or any other characteristic other than it being corn. I loathe all kinds and all preparations.

And I don't think it is at all odd. I know other people who agree with me and share my dislike. 

I'm sure I enjoy many things you consider almost inedible, too. I'm not a fussy eater - quite the reverse.

@liuzhou I don't think not liking corn is any more odd than me not liking carrots.   I hate them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@liuzhou I don't think not liking corn is any more odd than me not liking carrots.   I hate them.

Everyone has their own foibles ...

Me; I loathe yogurt and even more so, cottage cheese. 

Oddly enough, I love a good raita.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Everyone has their own foibles ...

Me; I loathe yogurt and even more so, cottage cheese. 

Oddly enough, I love a good raita.

I also loathe yogurt, but like raita... but that comes from my parents having take medicine (like an antibiotic) crushed up in a spoonful of yogurt...  and just looking at cottage cheese makes me a little sick to my stomach!

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I also loathe yogurt, but like raita... but that comes from my parents having take medicine (like an antibiotic) crushed up in a spoonful of yogurt...  and just looking at cottage cheese makes me a little sick to my stomach!

Too funny.

I inherited my hatred honestly, via my mother who brainwashed me based on her own hatred for the 'white stuff'.

I have an uncle who will not eat ANYTHING (stark) white...now *that* is strange!

😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

TicTac, that is weird.  Like me and peanut butter..hate it but like peanuts.

Anyones else have similar likes/dislikes?

Yes.  I really like raisins.  I love raisin bread, particularly the kind TJ sells.  I love making and eating focaccia buns into which I put raisins and dried cranberries.  Just this morning I put some on my bran flakes.  I loathe, loathe I tell you, raisin bars.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

TicTac, that is weird.  Like me and peanut butter..hate it but like peanuts.

Anyones else have similar likes/dislikes?

I like peanut butter and I like chocolate but not Reese’s. I have never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And I tried brussel sprouts again recently, but that’s the last time. I like corn and I like green peppers! To each his/her own! 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

I like peanut butter and I like chocolate but not Reese’s. I have never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And I tried brussel sprouts again recently, but that’s the last time. I like corn and I like green peppers! To each his/her own! 😋

Indeed!

I do not think it odd that you do not like Reese's (assuming you enjoy PB and Chocolate on their own) given the garbage within them.

Oddly enough, I enjoy a crisp, fresh, green pepper - but cooked.....not a chance!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, shain said:

Even popcorn? 

Corn anyway but popped. Even the smell of popcorn brings on a case of nausea. And yes I do stay away from the cinema. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Reese’s cups....I was over served as a kid and got SICK

peas and Lima beans make me gag if I taste them

beans, lentils have texture issues

cilantro tastes like a soapy stink bug

Edited by gfweb (log)

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Corn anyway but popped. Even the smell of popcorn brings on a case of nausea. And yes I do stay away from the cinema. 

Not a fan of popcorn, I can tolerate it if I don’t smell it. 

• Sad 1

Ok, so to be complete I need to add turnips to my vegetable hate list...too much mashed carrots and over cook turnip in my childhood.  Oddly, I love carrots.

also love the smell of popcorn a popping...might be the anticipation of butter.😘

• Like 1

Real popcorn popped on the stove, yes. Movie and microwave, no. Maybe it's the fake butter, no idea. 

Love all kinds of long chile peppers, fresh green roasted or dried red. Bell peppers of any color, not so much. 

Buckwheat pancakes and soba, absolutely. Buckwheat groats, just no.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

My ex was working at the concession stand of our local cinema when she became pregnant with our daughter. She experienced very, very bad morning sickness (basically, "trimester sickness") and rapidly got to the point of tossing her cookies as soon as she caught that first whiff of popcorn. Needless to say, a) the job came to an abrupt end; and b) she couldn't handle the sight or smell of popcorn for years afterward. She did eventually get over that conditioning, but it took a long time.

My mom had a similar experience with a nurse bringing her a cup of tea "to settle her nerves" immediately after giving birth to me. My mom was never a tea-drinker in the first place, but she dutifully took a sip and promptly vomited all over herself and the nurse. That was 55 years ago, and the smell of tea still makes her queasy.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning