• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

Why oh why did I have to google "lung butter?" I'm trying to estimate the amount of liquor I'll now be forced to drink to get that description out of my head! Blergggh!

Thanks Baggy. :hmmm:

Oh, BTW, cilantro officially comes from Hell. There are only a couple of dishes where I can actually eat it and they're all Mexican. Something about the ingredients in pico de gallo for instance cancels out that soapy quality.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)
  • Haha 1

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Why oh why did I have to google "lung butter?"  I'm trying to estimate the amount of liquor I'll now be forced to drink to get that description out of my head! Blergggh!

Oh, BTW, cilantro officially comes from Hell. There are only a couple of dishes where I can actually eat it and they're all Mexican. Something about the ingredients in pico de gallo for instance cancels out that soapy quality.

you are my friend for life for googling before me...I will now happily remain ignorant (and don't PM me!!) :smile:

Why oh why did I have to google "lung butter?"  I'm trying to estimate the amount of liquor I'll now be forced to drink to get that description out of my head! Blergggh!

you are my friend for life for googling before me...I will now happily remain ignorant (and don't PM me!!) :smile:

My sentiments, exactly! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Um, you're most welcome insomniac; glad to take one for the team! :laugh:

Believe me, there's not enough liquor in the world to dig this description from one's brain. Perhaps hypnosis would not be out of the question. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

For many years, I could not stomach rice. In kindergarten, I once got sick and blamed it on some rice we ate that day. Now, a more mature, logical mind might have blamed the illness on the polish sausage my dad picked up that morning at a convenience store and sent me off to school with for lunch. (And no, my parents' eating habits have never improved.) I suppose a part of me knew that the sausage was to blame, but I wasn't about to give those up.

For very similar reasons, I don't like vodka.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

• 2 weeks later...

Mustard- any kind. Blech.

Pickles and picked things

Horseradish

Relish

Wasabi

Raw onions- though I love them grilled, caramelized, etc.

Milk- though I LOVE dairy products- cheese, cream, yogurt, bring it on!

Cooked fruit- this includes hot fruit pies.

Ketchup on anything other than fries, bugers, and dogs- and in small doses.

Grape flavored candy, grape juice. Love wine and grapes, though.

Water chestnuts make me gag. Really- I heave and spit them out. Can't help it.

Celery and green bell peppers. I don't like their flavor, raw or cooked.

Also I like Scandinavian and German food, but just can't get myself to enjoy pickled herring.

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

Always hated peppers (red, green, yellow, orange) ALL of them. Ick...I wished I liked them....I hate hating healthy foods....why is it I like all non-healthy foods though? hehe. :raz:

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I have a serious problem with beef, although poultry and fish are fine. Don't know when it happened, because I remember relishing steak and stew as a child. At some point though, it did. I sometimes cook beef for the family, but the very smell makes me turn green. Cilantro, on the other hand, I enthusiastically add to eggs, soup, beans, fish, chicken dishes.

I had a strange experience after having had my last baby. She was born right before Passover, and I had planned to roast duck for the Seder. I put that roast duck on the platter, looked at it, and fled...it looked too much like a baby to me, and I couldn't face it. I've been told that this phenomenon is known to science and has a name, not that it matters. And I got over it; actually I'll be serving duck at this Seder too, and expect to enjoy it. That baby is now 10 years old, plenty of time to have gotten over my renewed maternity. Don't know what happened to me and beef, though.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Used to hate a lot of things: cheese (all kinds), butter, eggs, squash, bananas, mushrooms, asparagus, any fish (beside fried), olives ...

I realised later that I disliked many of these for their 'slimy/soft' texture: bananas, squash, etc. I like some of them now, others I still haven't worked my way up to yet.

I've grown to love strong flavoured things, so olives and cheese (especially blue) have actually become some of my favourites. I find it hard to imagine a time when I would have picked olives and mushrooms out of anything I ate.

I still can't get over two of the strongest aversions: butter and eggs. I hate these. The only time they're acceptable is in baking. I'm a vegetarian now and this makes my life more difficult than you might expect. When people hear they're having a 'vegetarian' as one of their guests, I always get quiche! I end up picking the vegetables out and eating the crust, and pushing the eggy bits around my plate...

I still can't get over two of the strongest aversions: butter and eggs.  I hate these.  The only time they're acceptable is in baking.  I'm a vegetarian now and this makes my life more difficult than you might expect.  When people hear they're having a 'vegetarian' as one of their guests, I always get quiche!  I end up picking the vegetables out and eating the crust, and pushing the eggy bits around my plate...

Hah, as another vegetarian who dislikes the flavour of eggs I feel your pain.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Cooked cruciferous vegetables. I can handle lightly steamed broccoli or stir-fried cabbage, but that's about it. The mere thought of "braised cabbage" makes me want to retch. I like most such veggies raw, though.

I'm another liver hater, with the exception of pates.

I don't care for cilantro, but don't quite hate it. One of my most disappointing dining experiences, though, involved ordering a basil-cilantro pesto dish. I was and am a huge fan of basil pesto, but didn't realize that I didn't like cilantro. Ugh.

ooohhh...I'm a very picky eater.

mayonnaise/miracle whip

any kind of pork (bad experience dissecting a fetal pig in high school...haven't eaten pork since and it's been about 11 years!)

ANY KIND of fish or seafood (total visual thing---seafood grosses me out and I can't stand the smell)

lamb

liver

veal

any kind of game-y type meat, duck or venison.

mushrooms

goat's milk/cheese or sheep's milk/cheese

blue cheese

basil--- absolutely HATE the taste of basil

olives

I know that sounds awful, but I have tried all of these things at some point in my life and there is that rule-"you can't say you don't like it until you have tried it". Well, I've tried them and I don't like them!

I am yet another cilantro hater. I find it surprising that there are so many of us when one considers the popularity of the herb in recipes nowadays.

Cilantro, because of its frequent use in chinese cookery, always triggers a funny memory though-on a business trip to Taiwan, I was in one of their wonderful restaurants, and a smiling waitress was offering hors d'oeuvre from a tray. I selected some purplish-black item thinking it was sushi. After I ate it, and found it delicious, I asked my Chinese friend what it was, and he said "Duc thoung"-at least that is what I thought he said! I asked him again, and said "In English please". He replied that he was speaking English.."Duck tongue".

Moral: At least taste it before rejecting it!

Raw and cooked green peppers--they taste too "green" as opposed to the sweeter varieties.

Kidneys

Blue cheeses (although I haven't given up entirely)

And I am started to dread the everpresent clumps of mesclun everywhere.

I hate coconut (meat, toasted, juice/water, nata or gel) unless it's in a macaroon or in a butter-coconut biscuit. One time a girl I liked insisted that I eat a fresh coconut dessert and I didn't want to be rude, so I put it in my mouth whole. She said, "I told you it was good!" and I nodded, pretending to chew. Then I slowly walked away and expelled the whole thing into a.. er.. receptacle. THAT bad.

Among the other "native" flavors of my country I hate are purple yams, soursop (and many other members of the Anona family), bitter gourd, okra (grossest texture EVER), chico/sapodilla (Achras sapota), and jackfruit.

I've only had cuttlefish once, but the first time I ate it, it tasted so bland and thick and metallic at the same time that I've never had another. I like squid though.

Edited to add: I hate the taste of beer. (except for one kriek I tasted long ago but never again, sadly)

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Until last week I used to HATE truffles, like eating a sweaty armpit, *shudder*, but, miracle of miracles, just got back from 4 days in Madrid and eating the truffle laden sashimi etc at Kabuki has made me a convert. I have managed to amaze myself :smile: .

and metallic at the same time that I've never had another. I like squid though.

Edited to add: I hate the taste of beer. (except for one kriek I tasted long ago but never again, sadly)

Was it the Cherry one? As a non beer drinker, this is the closest I have found in beer that tastes like wine. I really really like it.

I don't like olives anymore. I used to, but one day I just stopped. I can still eat it in things if I have to but eating a whole one is a real struggle for me.

Coriander.. tastes like what I think bugs should taste like.

I also don't like to drink coffee anymore.. I am assuming that I still like my Tiramisu but I haven't made it in a while to test.

I hate the taste of beer. (except for one kriek I tasted long ago but never again, sadly)

Was it the Cherry one? As a non beer drinker, this is the closest I have found in beer that tastes like wine. I really really like it.

You're right! It's a cherry-flavored beer (mine was specifically from Belgium). I loved it so much and I thought I had grown up like 10 years after drinking it. :) After that I bought a bag of Kettle Brand Potato Chips (Cheddar Beer) -- the Honey Dijon variant is a guilty pleasure of mine -- thinking that I could trust their taste, but no. I still hated the taste of non-kriek beer. I think tears were rolling down my cheeks as I struggled to finish that expensive single-serve bag.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I tend not to like the oily, "fishy" flavor of canned sardines, mackerel, anchovies, kippers, etc. I like those fish fresh, when they're really good, though fresh specimens that aren't very good tend to start tasting like their canned brethren. What's strange is that I like canned tuna just fine. I guess I acclimated to it so early, through such repeated exposure, that I somehow make an exception for it, even though it's very similar in aroma and oiliness to things like canned sardines and mackerel. I also like anchovies fine when they're incorporated into other things, like Caesar salad dressing -- again, at some point I accepted that flavor in that format, even though I can't stand whole canned anchovies.

Yes, it must have to do with the oils in the skin of sardines and mackerel. With anchovies for me it's not so much the fish flavor as just the intensity of it. When it's cut, in a sauce, in a salad, I'm fine. But sardines in the can I find disgusting. It's also a texture thing.

Ditto on tuna though, canned tuna (and salmon) is just fine. to me it's a completely different thing.

Cilantro - I first tasted it when I grew it n the garden because I couldn't find it anywhere in Iowa City. This was mid 80s I suppose. I tried the first leaf that came up, and *bleah* I thought I was eating soap. But what's strange is that later, tasting it in Vietnamee food, I liked it. Now I can't do without it, I always have it growing in the garden (cause I can't find it in Istanbul either!).

There's another herb used in Vietnamese cooking though - I only know the Latin name, Hoyttunia. It has heart shaped leaves. It's often referred to as "Vietnamese coriander" but to me the flavor is more like the worst part of the "fishy" taste of sardines. And I guess I've come full circle now. :)

P.S. Tripe is what I will have to thrive on if there is a hell and I get sent there.

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Someone once told me that SPAM tasted like people, so I though that I would be adoring it. People, BTW taste like pork. But, SPAM tastes NOTHING like people, OR pork. :sad:

...have you tried it sauteed with fava beans and a nice chianti?

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria