• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

I loathe stewed tomatoes. LOATHE to the point of being physically unable to swallow them. Anything else I hate I can politely choke down if necesssary. But for whatever reason, from as far back as I can remember, stewed tomatoes are :angry:

Edited by shelly59 (log)

cooked animal fat and sinews - the fat around the edges of beef, lamb, etc. I know there are whole legions of people that love the stuff (all you pork belly lovers) but I just _cannot_ stand the texture. Same thing with poultry skin - unless it is cooked to a very very crisp result. Funny, cause i inhaled soft chicken skin when i was a kid.

Live or raw, frogs or worms. I.Just.Can't. :sad: And, some kimchees, the really aged ones. And, those aged eggs, with the veins. I tried. My gag reflex got in the way. I feel a story here.

But, worse than ANY of these, it's SPAM. SPAM, how do people eat it?? I REALLY tried, and I assumed it would be akin to scrapple, but no. And the aroma made me feel ill. I felt so badly, because my #1boy was trying to please me, and share with me foods that he liked, which I had never had. I was mortified, I just couldn't even swallow the bites I tried, and I still can't bring myself to swallow it, or even chew it.

Someone once told me that SPAM tasted like people, so I though that I would be adoring it. People, BTW taste like pork. But, SPAM tastes NOTHING like people, OR pork. :sad:

PS: I like raw meat. BTW.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I can't eat an egg white. Not hard-boiled, not fried. I can eat a scrambled egg where it's all incorporated and looks yellow - but if I can SEE a spot of egg, I have to pick it out. I can't eat egg salad - although I'd love to - and I can't eat deviled eggs in public (in private I eat the yolk part and give the white to the dog or my husband). I can eat meringue. Why why why???

I dislike foods that rmind me of extreme rotting, or of slime. I don't know why, but they trigger a gag reflex in me, and an urgetto vomit. And, I can eat practically ANYTHING, and have. Although, it isn't slime, so much, as gelatinous slime. Did I mention that I can't abide Jello? Sweet and wiggly, and it sort of melts when you put it into your mouth, urrrgh. :blink: But, I adore a good aspic coated food, and the jelly that comes with gelfilte fish.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I can't eat an egg white. Not hard-boiled, not fried. I can eat a scrambled egg where it's all incorporated and looks yellow - but if I can SEE a spot of egg, I have to pick it out. I can't eat egg salad - although I'd love to - and I can't eat deviled eggs in public (in private I eat the yolk part and give the white to the dog or my husband). I can eat meringue. Why why why???

I'm exactly the opposite on the egg issue. I only eat scrambled eggs or fried egg whites, no preparations where the yolks are present and not incorporated into the whites. I can't eat boiled eggs at all, though.

There are plenty of foods that I don't really like, but not that many that induce disgust in me. Some that do are: liver (and yes, I've had it prepared properly)--metallic taste, boiled eggs/egg yolks--smell, mayonnaise--smell, many canned vegetables--mushy, many commercially produced baked goods--artificial flavorings, hot dogs--??

Also, when I was a kid I couldn't eat a banana or oatmeal without gagging, but now I like both (to a degree). I've gotten way, way less picky over the years, and now I can eat almost anything, though there are things I won't even try. Mostly offal--don't like that bloody flavor.

Count me in as a cilantro hater, blech!

I hate veal, always have, my parents are horrified by this and have tried to disguise it as something else in dishes and I still always know no matter how good of a job they did.

Blue cheese (every other cheese I love though)

There are foods I may dislike but can eat anyway, but those are probably my three top hated, do not eat.

Oh and I never have had SPAM, but it does not sound good from what is described here.

Edited by laurelm (log)

:smile:

Live or raw, frogs or worms. I.Just.Can't.  :sad: And, some kimchees, the really aged ones. And, those aged eggs, with the veins. I tried. My gag reflex got in the way. I feel a story here.

But, worse than ANY of these, it's SPAM. SPAM, how do people eat it?? I REALLY tried, and I assumed it would be akin to scrapple, but no. And the aroma made me feel ill. I felt so badly, because my #1boy was trying to please me, and share with me foods that he liked, which I had never had. I was mortified, I just couldn't even swallow the bites I tried, and I still can't bring myself to swallow it, or even chew it.

Someone once told me that SPAM tasted like people, so I though that I would be adoring it. People, BTW taste like pork. But, SPAM tastes NOTHING like people, OR pork. :sad:

PS: I like raw meat. BTW.

About Spam. . . I'm not a big fan except for the occasional piece of Spam musubi. What is that? A "local" food popular in Hawaii where Spam is very popular. Aside from minor variations, Spam musubi is a slice of spam fried in butter and soy sauce, then laid upon a squared off mound of seasoned sushi rice, finished with a wrapping band of nori.

And we cant forget the Culinary Axis Of Evile here

...http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36422

tracey

cilantro

goat cheese, goat meat is fine

olives

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Liver. You can do your whole bloody (hee hee) thesis on liver. Vile texture, vile smell, vile color, just plain vile.

And guavas. I don't like the texture, but mostly it's the smell that gets to me. It's overpowering and nauseating.

I've hated liver since I was a child. I never even heard of guavas until I was an adult, and I hated the smell even before I knew where the odor was coming from. (I thought there was something rotten in the apartment. Turns out my roommate bought a bunch of guavas.)

I used to hate olives, and now I love them. I don't know how that happened, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. :smile:

My husband retches when he's confronted with gim (nori). It made our life in Korea very difficult. He's tried to swallow it, but it just makes him heave. He also hates all seafood. It must be something in the iodine taste.

My husband retches when he's confronted with gim (nori). It made our life in Korea very difficult. He's tried to swallow it, but it just makes him heave. He also hates all seafood. It must be something in the iodine taste.

that's funny, I sometimes retch when I see my husband...it makes my life in the Uk very difficult..................

sorry, I'm a bit stir crazy today :smile:

Count me in as another liver hater - all sources, all preparations. Also, anything else liver-ish - blood or liver sausage. It's weird because it's not a matter of instant disgust - I'm not revolted by the idea or the smell, but each time I try it, I can only do a bite or two before deciding AGAIN "oh yeah, I really DO hate liver".

I really want to like chopped liver w/ schmaltz - in theory it sounds like it would be good, but I just can't do it. And I also want to like liverwurst. It just SOUNDS good. I've tried it numerous times - I can maybe get through a slice thinking "Oh yeah, this is tasty" and then I have to spit out the second slice and feel myself turn green.

It's some combo of the taste and smell that does it.

Maybe it's all tied to being forced to eat it as a kid. I was a good eater as a rule. There's only one time I remember having to sit at the table long after the meal was over, slowly and reluctantly finishing my dinner. The main course?

You guessed it. Liver.

There are plenty of other foods that I don't care for, but no others that I know of that I just. can't. eat.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Count me in as another liver hater - all sources, all preparations. Also, anything else liver-ish - blood or liver sausage. It's weird because it's not a matter of instant disgust - I'm not revolted by the idea or the smell, but each time I try it, I can only do a bite or two before deciding AGAIN "oh yeah, I really DO hate liver".

I really want to like chopped liver w/ schmaltz - in theory it sounds like it would be good, but I just can't do it. And I also want to like liverwurst. It just SOUNDS good. I've tried it numerous times - I can maybe get through a slice thinking "Oh yeah, this is tasty" and then I have to spit out the second slice and feel myself turn green.

It's some combo of the taste and smell that does it.

Maybe it's all tied to being forced to eat it as a kid. I was a good eater as a rule. There's only one time I remember having to sit at the table long after the meal was over, slowly and reluctantly finishing my dinner. The main course?

You guessed it. Liver.

There are plenty of other foods that I don't care for, but no others that I know of that I just. can't. eat.

I do the exact same thing...actually, I just did a few days ago, which is probably the only reason I remembered to put liver on my list. I had some chinese duck liver sausage and I tried it, even though I've tried it many times before and, yeah, I still hate it. I really hate how long the taste lingers in the mouth. The funny thing is, apparently when I was a kid I loved liver, especially calves' liver. So, it's definitely not childhood trauma.

I tend not to like the oily, "fishy" flavor of canned sardines, mackerel, anchovies, kippers, etc. I like those fish fresh, when they're really good, though fresh specimens that aren't very good tend to start tasting like their canned brethren. What's strange is that I like canned tuna just fine. I guess I acclimated to it so early, through such repeated exposure, that I somehow make an exception for it, even though it's very similar in aroma and oiliness to things like canned sardines and mackerel. I also like anchovies fine when they're incorporated into other things, like Caesar salad dressing -- again, at some point I accepted that flavor in that format, even though I can't stand whole canned anchovies.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Domestic hubby cannot and will not eat any form of seafood (my luck, a coastal girl raised by the sea). Even the smell of fresh fish makes him sick.

I, for one, can eat almost anything - various raw fish, snakes, sea urchins, duck embryos, sea cucumbers, monitor lizard, etc. But I cannot seem to bring myself to eat korean raw marinated crab (sorry Sheena).

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I have a pretty healthy appetite and can tolerate most foods, even when they are culturally new. However, slimy things have always caused me to hesitate and I always had a fairly distant relationship with tripe – English tripe; stuff that’s been boiled with lysol to make it white and tender (= gelatinous + tasteless). Andouillettes I can manage, but don’t like.

Once I saw someone who was really ill in hospital drink a whole cup of lung butter – since then I can’t even think about tripe without gagging.

I have a pretty healthy appetite and can tolerate most foods, even when they are culturally new.  However, slimy things have always caused me to hesitate and I always had a fairly distant relationship with tripe – English tripe; stuff that’s been boiled with lysol to make it white and tender (= gelatinous + tasteless).  Andouillettes I can manage, but don’t like.

Once I saw someone who was really ill in hospital drink a whole cup of lung butter – since then I can’t even think about tripe without gagging.

I hesitate to ask, Baggy, but what is 'lung butter?'

I can't stand English peas (the littel green ones). I love purplehulls and blackeyeds, but can not stand the green ones. Everyoen else in my family likes them and my sister is addicted to them. We buy her cases of Lesuire (sp?) at Christmas.

I can't stand cilantro and can not eat a dish that has even in a speck of cilantro in it. The smell makes me gag.

My mother said I choked on coconut as a toddler and I have never liked it. It tastes too dry to me.

I don't love SPAM, but ate my fair share of it growing up and could eat it again.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton