• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

I remember watching a friend in high school spread a 1/4 of an inch of miracle whip between two slices of soft white bread and thinking that was one of the nastiest things I had ever seen.

My brother used to do the same thing with Hellman's. ick. Luckily, his tastes have changed for the better.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

It took me 20 yrs of trying and an August trip to Austria to learn to like raw tomatoes. And then, its only perfectly summery ones. Others are ... barely tolerated. I can swallow them in chunks but I cannot chew them.

But a sweet ripe summer tomato now brings joy.

Watermelon. Never. Ever. Not in juice, fruit salad, granita, Jolly Rancher, or molecular whatever. No way, no how. At least I no longer gag at the smell.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

i used to HATE, with a capital H A T E, blue cheese. then i had a baby and now i LOVE it. crazy.

i don't think there is anything else i hate, but i dislike:

mussles (cooked or raw) & clams (raw) - love oysters though

foie gras - i will eat it if i have to, like at TFL, but otherwise i'll pass. love all pate though

sweetbreads - blech

tongue - blech

Edited by dvs (log)

Here are my weird food "hates".

Raw tomatoes -- yup, another vote for them. Just don't like slided tomatoes on burgers or sandwiches. Don't like tomatoes on a salad or on my tacos. But tomato sauce or any any type of canned tomato? No problem. A fresh tomato that has been used to make something that is then cooked? That's just fine.

Mayo -- Just can not have it on a burger. Ewww... Something about it. I think it's because it gets warm. Didn't like it on a sandwhich, either. But it's essential for tuna salda, egg salad, etc. Weird, eh? What's even weirder is that I have actually MADE my own mayo. Now, I think I can tolerate some good mayo or mayo that has been "jazzed up" on a sandwich. Not a lot of it, but a small amout is OK

Vinegar -- totally can not stand the smell of it. At all. It would gross me out to no end that some people would drink it. (small sips). Yet I have five (5) different types in my pantry. Crazy, I know.

Cold pasta salads -- just flat out don't like 'em. No weird exceptions on this one. :)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

It would pain many of you that one of my favorite things to eat is a toasted (japanese style thick white bread) tomato and mayonaise sandwiche. And I mean gobs of the japanese Kewpie style mayo on thick slabs of raw tomato - god my eyes are rolling to back of my head just thinking about them.

I simplly have no interest whatsoever in foods that are sweet. The sweeter they are, the more I dislike them. This applies to main course fare as well as dessert. For example I really dislike the americanized sweet sushi rolls you find in so many sushi bars around the U.S. All the sweet eel sauce they put all over everything just makes me cringe. At the same time I really don't enjoy almost any sweet dessert food. I'll take a cheese plate for dessert every time.

Chocolate truffles.

Never understood them.

Horrible texture.

(Now, give me real truffles from France or Italy, that's a completely different story)

Lemon/Lime Meringue Pie. Another texture problem.

Whole anchovies. Yet another texture problem.

(although I love anchovy sauce)

Philly Francophiles

I simplly have no interest whatsoever in foods that are sweet.  The sweeter they are, the more I dislike them.  This applies to main course fare as well as dessert.  For example I really dislike the americanized sweet sushi rolls you find in so many sushi bars around the U.S.  All the sweet eel sauce they put all over everything just makes me cringe.  At the same time I really don't enjoy almost any sweet dessert food.  I'll take a cheese plate for dessert every time.

YEAH !

What HE said..................

(fruit with meat..ack. sweet tomato sauces, bleh. sweet sushi...............gah. But I LOVE bacon with maple anything..........go figure :huh: )

sour and bitter

Yes ! Pickled things.........but I don't like mustard (???)

I think it is a texture thing...........textures to me are far worse than flavors. Love sushi but uni..........arggggggggggggh.

Another vote for raw tomatoes. I felt rather like a mutant growing up in the South, surrounded by family members with 2-inch-thick, white bread tomato sandwiches with juice dripping down their elbows as they leaned over the sink practically moaning over how great the dern things were while I just wondered how they got them down.

Cook 'em even just a little bit, though, and I'm fine. Fortunately, I married another tomato mutant so we get along just fine....

Wrapped Sandwiches as in any food wrapped up and sealed--burritos for instance--I think this may be more of a food phobia.  Just the thought of biting into a huge wrapped log of concealed food is a complete turn off for me.  I like my sandwiches on bread or "open" like delicious warm tortillas that I fold around the fillings of my choice.

Yes, it's the fear of the unknown! You never know what's behind that cloak of a tortilla!! :hmmm:

OOOOO Miracle Whip!!! Foul stuff.....

When I started reading this thread, I couldn't help think "what the #@!*" ??? Who are these people, I thought I knew you?

But then I started to recognize myself. much to my shock and awe:

- fresh mint, love. Mint jelly, dried, etc. can't put it in my mouth.

- gag on green peppers.

- can't handle oysters. other raw shellfish, sashimi, etc...délicieuse.

if I can add something original to this list: beef. At least steak or tenderloin.

I'm no vegetarian. I LOVE lamb and pork in all forms. A first-rate hamburger is an inspiration. The occasional rib--barbequed or braised--is fine. But a sirloin steak or beef tenderloin...well, I'd rather eat duck feet, and I really don't like duck feet.

• 5 months later...

Anything rotten or moldy...blue cheese. Not nuts about "nam pla" or other rotted fish products...millions of people love this kind of stuff. Feh.

Joe Franke

The Invasive Species Cookbook: Conservation through Gastronomy

www.bradfordstreetpress.com

I have yet to meet another person who doesn't like cheesecake...anyone? :smile:

I had the pleasure of making your acquaintance this last summer at VTR when you were in the states for a visit and I too don't like cheesecake. I dont think it is as offensive to me as it seems to be to you but I really don't like it, never eat it.

Diane

Raw onion has to be number one.

No raw on for me either. BLECH.

Soak it in vinegar for a few minutes though and I'm O.K. with it.

I'm not big on potato chips. That's probably one that would make folks go "huh?". It's not like I can't stand then, just don't like them very much. Now, freshly made chips? Oh yeah....

• 2 months later...

I am doing some research for a college paper on disgust, and food dislikes, and the psychology of food choice is proving fascinating...

I originally got interested in the area as my brother who is only 18 months younger than me, was such a fussy eater when he was small, and used to puke when the disliked foods were put in front of him, whereas I liked pretty much everything.

Now, years later, my boyfriend also has frustratingly incomprehensible food dislikes i.e. all fruit known to mankind (although has been known drink oj if there is no oter liquid available), in fact the thought of a baked apple makes him queasy; he will eat only a very few vegetables ie onions, spinach, mushrooms, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and sometimes carrots and celery if disguised integrally into the dish. His diet is mostly protein and starchy carb based, whereas I would live on salad, fruit, and cheese.

I eat nearly everything except tinned tuna (but i have eaten it, and its not that bad, its just the overpowering smell that puts me off), peas (i'm not fond of these little blighters because as akid it was congealed rice and peas reheated in the microwave-which i will eat now if in another dish, or in soup form; i just dont buy them), and possibly some of the more scary organs, or possibly nothing live either (i have tried neither).

What do you guys not eat? and why

I'll be the minority here but I don't like Salmon in any way shape or form. Strange because I'm a pretty adventurous eater (menudo, tripas, oysters on the half shell, ebi heads, sweatbreads) but for some reason have never found a salmon I liked.

Every year I force myself to try it again to no avail. What's sad is that I know it's so good for your skin that I really really want to like it but it's obviously not meant to be.

(and funnily enough, after roasting some butternut squash the other night, I've decided that's another one I'm not too keen on).

As it is for college, I am assuming you are referencing Miller's Anatomy of Disgust which is a very fabulous treatise on the subject.

For me, it is cilantro (and if you search around, you will find huge websites devoted to those who hate cilantro). To me and many others, it tastes like soap. What is odd for me is that it was not always so -- I enjoyed cilantro until my 25th year when things suddenly changed and I actually accused my then-husband of not rinsing our dinner plates.

Most recently, my boyfriend purchased it by mistake -- thinking it was leafy parsley -- and when I started chopping it up, I had to wash my hands multiple times to get the smell to go away.

As it is for college, I am assuming you are referencing Miller's Anatomy of Disgust which is a very fabulous treatise on the subject.

For me, it is cilantro (and if you search around, you will find huge websites devoted to those who hate cilantro). To me and many others, it tastes like soap. What is odd for me is that it was not always so -- I enjoyed cilantro until my 25th year when things suddenly changed and I actually accused my then-husband of not rinsing our dinner plates.

Most recently, my boyfriend purchased it by mistake -- thinking it was leafy parsley -- and when I started chopping it up, I had to wash my hands multiple times to get the smell to go away.

I hadn't come across Miller yet, I am still in the exploratory stages, but Rozin's work on the subject is fascinating. You can see an article about his work here

and ther's lots more about him on the net.

My dad hates coriander (uk) too! And is extremely sensitive to it. I love it though.

Thanks for the tip about Miller, will have a snoop.

I hadn't come across Miller yet, I am still in the exploratory stages, but Rozin's work on the subject is fascinating. You can see an article about his work here

and ther's lots more about him on the net.

My dad hates coriander (uk) too! And is extremely sensitive to it. I love it though.

Thanks for the tip about Miller, will have a snoop.

Actually Miller appears in the article I posted. Ooops. Haven't been doing my homework.