• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you inexplicably hate

WHT

Some of the things that will set my stomach to churning: boiled eggs, fried eggs, green peas,cilanrto, liver, and all other organ meats. I don't like the idea of eating Bambi either.

Edited by ldenney (log)

Wrapped Sandwiches as in any food wrapped up and sealed--burritos for instance--I think this may be more of a food phobia.  Just the thought of biting into a huge wrapped log of concealed food is a complete turn off for me.  I like my sandwiches on bread or "open" like delicious warm tortillas that I fold around the fillings of my choice.

Yes, it's the fear of the unknown! You never know what's behind that cloak of a tortilla!! :hmmm:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Wow, I love this thread.

Cheesecake is lovely, and I double the cream cheese on my bagle every time, and carrot cake is not the same without the cream cheese icing.

Now, to my irrational dislikes:

Raw onion has to be number one. Loved them so much, until I got pregnant with my first 21+ years ago. Haven't touched a raw onion since, but cook with onion constantly. Except (isn't there always an exception?) when they are in a decent chicken or tuna salad. Or potato salad. Or deviled eggs. Weird, huh? I guess they are stealthy like that.

Fish - Funny. I am either enthralled or sickened, no in between, no grey areas. Either it is wonderful or lovely, or I cannot stand to smell it, and I have no way of predicting which way it will go.

Overcooked Beef - Just can't do it, unless it is a pot roast or brisket, which is an entirely different thing. I can't eat a MW burger. It is like sawdust. No matter how skillfully overcooked it is. And if you put an overcooked Porterhouse in front of me, I will literally cry.

Cannot eat Mayo. Never have, never will. I can tolerate Miracle Whip in salads, and homemade mayo works OK, but never ever ever ever on a hamburger! Mayo, or any other whitish salad dressing sort of thing on a burger, will send me screaming.

Beets. I hate beets. They make me gag.

Eggs must be scrambled hard, with one exception. I want a runny thick yellow yolk when they are poached, so I can sop my toast in it. Don't ask me why, I do not know.

Cilantro = Soap

No raw seafood. Period. It just keeps getting bigger in my mouth, triggering the socially unacceptable gag reflex.

Canned biscuits and instant grits. I might throw something at you.

Not big on lamb.

Of course, you are hearing from a woman who cannot take the cotton wadding out of the top of the aspirin bottle. Skeeves me. When I get a bottle with it in there, I hand it over to my husband who proceeds to chase me around the house with it. I just cannot stand it. It makes my mouth dry up and pucker, and sets my teeth on edge. I don't know why.

:biggrin:

I did discover that I really don't like fig bread.

Actually, I'm a little afraid of figs, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the Fig Newton commercials from the 70s. Guy dressed in a giant fig costume, dancing and singing, "Chewy ooey gooey on the inside..." Every time I hear the word "fig" that damn song goes through my head.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Hate to say it, but I can't stand lamb!  So many rave about it, I try it all the time - roasted, grilled, braised, cold, hot, kebabs, marinated - nothing!  I really do want to "get" why it's on so many "favorites" lists!

I'm with you. I have never cared for lamb. I will prepare it for others but have a lot of difficulty eating it and if it is "old" lamb, I simply can't put it into my mouth.

On the other hand, I love kid and goat. Many people think that goat meat has to be "gamy" or stronger than lamb, but oddly enough, it is mild and almost sweet. If I were to compare the flavor to anything, it would be closer to elk, another meat that is mild and lacks gaminess. I like it much better than venison which is often pretty gamy.

I don't like dougnuts and I also am not at all fond of cheesecake.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Eggs...god, I wish I could like them, I try but the texture and smell...argh.

Mushrooms, to the point of sheer phobia. I've mentioned this here, before.

I also seriously dislike ketchup. It's so sweet and gloopy, and ugh, way to ruin a good burger.

Speaking of burgers, I dislike lettuce, tomatoes, and raw onions on anything hot. No lettuce on my tacos, no tomatoes on my burgers, hot stuff, cold veggies grosssss.... Not a big fan of iceberg lettuce, anyway.

I also dislike most shellfish. I have a hard time eating the whole body of something, like someone mentioned upthread...digestive system, reproductive system, the whole bit, turns me way off. Lobster is too rich, but I like the flavor of crab, and will eat it in stuff. I also like the flavor but not the texture of shrimp.

I'm not a fan of slimy, so lots of that has something to do with texture, I'm sure, but the sight of a wobbly raw phglemmy looking oyster makes my stomach curdle.

I agree with the apples thing, too, anything mealy-mushy, ugh. I dislike boiled potatoes, but most other preperations are ok. Dark chocolate, in very small doses, but I really like milk and white.

I do, however LOVE coffee, and cheesecake, together, no less! I love this thread, people hassle me, for being a picky eater...I feel so much better about things.

Wrapped Sandwiches as in any food wrapped up and sealed--burritos for instance--I think this may be more of a food phobia.  Just the thought of biting into a huge wrapped log of concealed food is a complete turn off for me.  I like my sandwiches on bread or "open" like delicious warm tortillas that I fold around the fillings of my choice.

Yes, it's the fear of the unknown! You never know what's behind that cloak of a tortilla!! :hmmm:

Now that I've had a chance to ponder this aversion Katie it's more a revulsion against the known. The worst (best?) example is that abomination, the breakfast burrito. A perfectly good meal like a cheese omelette, home fries, and sausage--to be eaten on a plate as God intended of course :rolleyes: --chopped and wrapped in layers and layers of a low quality flour tortilla (now a fresh tortilla is a thing of beauty). Exactly how does one add pepper to only the potatoes but not the sausage or tabasco to the eggs but not the potatoes? You can't. Maybe you'd like to savor a bite of the omelette alone? Fuggedaboutit. Spanakopita or one of those Hubig fried pies OTOH makes perfect sense.

But maybe I'm on to something. Since this way of eating is so is wildly popular in the US I could start a franchise and offer any meal you desire minced and neatly tucked away in a burrito. You thought your salad, perfectly cooked steak, creamed spinach and baked potato was good? Well it would taste so much better chopped, mixed and rolled in a wrap. How about sushi or bouillabaisse or linguini with clam sauce?.................. the possibilities are endless. :wacko:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Oh man, I forgot about beets.  I've tried people, I really have.  They're so pretty but I just can't eat them.

Isn't it strange? I love all other root vegetables. Parsnips, rutabaga, carrots, radish, turnip, you name it. Give me more.

But when the beets come out at the holidays, and hubby and son love them, they are so pretty and enticing I know that they MUST be good. They even smell good to me. Sadly for me, they are not a good thing.

I try them once every three or four years, only to say to myself, "Self, you still hate beets."

Y'all had to go and remind me about beets.

Curiously, I like beet greens, and can even eat the little baby beets at the end, as long as they're truly tiny. They're actually rather tasty in conjunction with the greens.

Give me an adult beet, though, and.... no, better yet, just don't.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Raw tomatoes. ANY raw tomatoes. Heirloom, Jersey tomatoes in August...doesn't matter. Hate 'em.

Me too!! I also hate brussel sprouts, eggplant, dark meat chicken and turkey, chicken wings and skin, seaweed, raw fish, mussles, salmon, dark tuna, ground beef, fennel, blue cheese and licorice. I don't hate red meat, but I havent eaten it in 20yrs. Cheesecake isnt my favorite, but I don't hate it.

Sometimes I feel like a foodie fraud because there are so many things I hate. I realized though, I don't like strong flavored foods.

ooh i forgot about mussels. and oysters. both gross to me.

And i love raw tomatoes and tomatoes cooked to sauce.

Anything in between is nasty to me - so i don't like marinara.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'll bring this thread back. I love cheesecake (its actually how I found this thread).

Foods I just can't do:

Olives (olive oil is, of course, wonderful)

Melon (I can stomach water melon, but only if its the only fruit around)

Wine

Pickels

I want to much to like olives and wine. Every couple of months I'll try to consume one or the other. Just the other night a colleauge suggested I try red wine with indian food. Thinking the indian would cover up the wine, I tried it. Wine just burns all the way to my stomach. I don't know what it is :-(

me hate:

salmon

eggplant (though I planted some in my garden this year to beat it: they contain lots of calcium!)

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

me hate:

salmon

eggplant (though I planted some in my garden this year to beat it: they contain lots of calcium!)

Put me down for salmon too. I like it raw or smoked, but I can't handle it if it's "cooked".

I adore beets and lima beans and canned tuna. :huh:

I can't stand turkey. yuck. Love the thanksgiving sides, but hold the meat.

no game, deer or otherwise.

ocean fish only.

spicy sausage I hate!

and I hate garlic, unless there's just a whisper in the dish.

cooked green peppers are nasty.

---------------------------------------

I hate cheesecake, too!

I generally dislike that feeling of cream coating my throat when I swallow - I can't seem to get the cheese part of the cheesecake swallowed. I don't like mayonnaise or ranch dressing or other creamy dressings for the same reason. I hate cream in my coffee. And oh man, those Ceasar salads clogged with dressing are disgusting!

Cilantro. Wasabi.

But I try to like them, having them in small quantities and all, because I feel like they're an important part of cuisines that I really want to learn more about and learn to enjoy. Liking cilantro and wasabi seems like an important part of shaking off my Midwestern boring-chain restaurant-bland eating roots.

"I can sit down, resolved to be moderate, determined to eat and drink lightly, and be there three hours later, nursing my wine and still open to temptation."

Peter Mayle, Toujours Provence

olives, mushrooms, lobster, shrimp

Saltiness of first one and texture on the last three.

Of course there are lots of things I haven't tried, so that list may grow!

I remember watching a friend in high school spread a 1/4 of an inch of miracle whip between two slices of soft white bread and thinking that was one of the nastiest things I had ever seen. Still makes me gag a little to think of it. Other than too much mayo on a sandwich, mushrooms, onions and bell peppers have always been my least favorite things that everyone else seems to enjoy. Coffee needs to be really good and have tons of cream and sugar for me to down it.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."