• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Corn anyway but popped. Even the smell of popcorn brings on a case of nausea. And yes I do stay away from the cinema. 

My ex was working at the concession stand of our local cinema when she became pregnant with our daughter. She experienced very, very bad morning sickness (basically, "trimester sickness") and rapidly got to the point of tossing her cookies as soon as she caught that first whiff of popcorn. Needless to say, a) the job came to an abrupt end; and b) she couldn't handle the sight or smell of popcorn for years afterward. She did eventually get over that conditioning, but it took a long time.

My mom had a similar experience with a nurse bringing her a cup of tea "to settle her nerves" immediately after giving birth to me. My mom was never a tea-drinker in the first place, but she dutifully took a sip and promptly vomited all over herself and the nurse. That was 55 years ago, and the smell of tea still makes her queasy.

chromedome

chromedome

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Corn anyway but popped. Even the smell of popcorn brings on a case of nausea. And yes I do stay away from the cinema. 

My ex was working at the concession stand of our local cinema when she became pregnant with our daughter. She experienced very, very bad morning sickness (basically, "trimester sickness") and rapidly go to the point of tossing her cookies as soon as she caught that first whiff of popcorn. Needless to say, a) the job came to an abrupt end; and b) she couldn't handle the sight or smell of popcorn for years afterward. She did eventually get over that conditioning, but it took a long time.

My mom had a similar experience with a nurse bringing her a cup of tea "to settle her nerves" immediately after giving birth to me. My mom was never a tea-drinker in the first place, but she dutifully took a sip and promptly vomited all over herself and the nurse. That was 55 years ago, and the smell of tea still makes her queasy.