• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was brought up too on the eat it or starve principle. Put me off many foods for years. I remember particularly one fish dish that I was being forced to eat when I knew the fish was off. My parents' philosophy changed forever when I threw up all over them and was rushed to hospital!

I swore that I would never do that to my children. They were allowed to reject anything, provided they tasted it once, or even  better twice. The both grew up as adventurous eaters.

As for me, I didn't eat fish for about twenty years, but now if I had to go any kind of 'x-arian', it would be pescatarian. And my world travels have led me to eat many things that I would never have considered food as a kid or for too long after. I resent the waste of time my parents forced on me, but understand their motives. They grew up under wartime rationing when food was scarce.

Most of my favourites are things I hated or never knew as a kid.

I have little patience with people who say they don't like something without ever having tried it.

Of course, corn was never edible.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was brought up too on the eat it or starve principle. Put me off many foods for years. I remember particularly one fish dish that I was being forced to eat when I knew the fish was off. My parents' philosophy changed forever when I threw up all over them and was rushed to hospital!

I swore that I would never do that to my children. They were allowed to reject anything, provided they tasted it once, or even  better twice. The both grew up as adventurous eaters.

As for me, I didn't eat fish for about twenty years, but now if I had to go any kind of 'x-arian', it would be pescatarian. And my world travels have led me to eat many things that I would never have considered food as a kid or for too long after. I resent the waste of time my parents forced on me, but understand their motives. They grew up under wartime rationing when food was scarce.

I have little patience with people who say they don't like something ever having tried it.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have little patience with people who say they don't like something without trying it.

liuzhou

liuzhou