• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nut source?

How about Wricley Nut products on Patterson Ave around 5th or so, below the citizens park & Linc. I used to go there 20 years ago in S. Philly and noticed them again recently near the stadium.

I bought cashews there yesterday since I wanted to try making my own cashew butter, but the nuts were of very good quality. I think it was 3.25 or 3.50 a lb.

I got a 5# bag of pistachios last week for 19.50, and I think they are far better than anything I have had from supermarkets recently. I equate good with having a nice crunch to them.

They have samples of butter crunch almonds at the window which were really good also.

But do be aware their selection is limited and hours are wierd. It is only a service window at a warehouse, so hours are daytime only with lunch break from 12:30 to 1:30 or so.

My experience was that Nuts to You was far better quality and much fresher than Wricley. And easier to work with, also. I found the staff at Wricley less than helpful.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow