• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet with a 8 months old...

I'm taking my family to london this easter, and want to know if anyone have any recomendation of any "child friendly" venue. I'm thinking of somewhere me and my wife can enjoy a 3+ course meal, and still bring our little prince charming.

Our 8 monts old is easy going, and can stay happy for hours if he gets his own chair, some biscuts and attention from the waiters .-)

I know london is vast, we're probably going to stay in the more central areas. What do you guys think?

Edited by glennbech (log)

I'm taking my family to london this easter, and want to know if anyone have any recomendation of any "child friendly" venue.  I'm thinking of somewhere me and my wife can enjoy a 3+ course meal, and still bring our little prince charming.

Our 8 monts old is easy going, and can stay happy for hours if he gets his own chair, some biscuts and attention from the waiters .-)

I know london is vast, we're probably going to stay in the more central areas. What do you guys think?

Giraffe is about as child friendly as it gets and can be very enjoyable for Mums and dads too - breakfast is particularly good

www.giraffe.net

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I recently recieved a press release about Jack and Lulu's which opens in Hampstead next week. There's a holding website page here click which gives you a general idea. There's an under 3's menu plus organic baby food and things like pan roasted breast of guinea fowl with wold mushrooms and greens for the growns ups. Its the first of what's planned to be a national brand so its probably not going to be fine dining but it sounds like you'll at least be among friends.

Giraffe is good at what it does (burgers etc.) and very child friendly but certainly not gourmet. Before my daughter starting toddling (and therefore became too impatient to sit through a 3 course meal) I took her with me to a variety of fairly upmarket places in central London and didn't have any problems. Sometimes we even let my wife come along. Off the top of my head I can remember visiting:

Rex Whistler at Tate Britain

Racine

Brasserie St. Quentin

Fifth Floor at Harvey Nicholls

Flaneur, Clerkenwell

Chisou, Mayfair

Upstairs, Brixton

Most were for lunch.

The thing to remember is that although the British don't like children much (or eating out for that matter), most restaurants in London have waitstaff from cultures where the opposite is true, and as a result you will usually be warmly welcomed.

Giraffe is good at what it does (burgers etc.) and very child friendly but certainly not gourmet.  Before my daughter starting toddling (and therefore became too impatient to sit through a 3 course meal) I took her with me to a variety of fairly upmarket places in central London and didn't have any problems.  Sometimes we even let my wife come along.  Off the top of my head I can remember visiting:

Rex Whistler at Tate Britain

Racine

Brasserie St. Quentin

Fifth Floor at Harvey Nicholls

Flaneur, Clerkenwell

Chisou, Mayfair

Upstairs, Brixton

Most were for lunch.

The thing to remember is that although the British don't like children much (or eating out for that matter), most restaurants in London have waitstaff from cultures where the opposite is true, and as a result you will usually be warmly welcomed.

Thank you, this was exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. I'll check out the maps and see what it's the proximity :-) Going for lunch was also an excellent idea, as our 8 month old is at his most charming around that time. (And not so around 6pm .-)

I'm not saying that Giraffe was a bad suggestion, If I see the sign, I'll definitly drop by there as well :)

one thing I'd add is that if you fancy yum cha/dim sum or Indian/Pakistani (there is a lot of good quality in London IMHO) - many eGullet recommendations on other threads if you are interested - when we've been with friends we've found it a far more relaxed and child friendly environment and you can have some quality meals

Giraffe is good at what it does (burgers etc.) and very child friendly but certainly not gourmet.  Before my daughter starting toddling (and therefore became too impatient to sit through a 3 course meal) I took her with me to a variety of fairly upmarket places in central London and didn't have any problems.

Most were for lunch.

Similarly, when my older daughter was under one, we took her to a number of top-end places and they always rose to the challenge perfectly. Pied-a-Terre has two Michelin stars but accomodated a small child at lunchtime with good grace, and the restaurant manager even went out and bought her a toy.

• 4 weeks later...

Our first Lunch Experience here in London was "The Narrow". The Narrow is one of Gordon Ramsay's latest venues located in Narrow Street out far east. You have to take the DLR to get there, and since the line was out of comission for the easter we ended up taking a cab. The place is a "pub", with a menu celebrating traditional english food.

When we got there for lunch at around 1:00, the place was full, and 2 out of about 7 or eight tables were families with children. Not bad! We really enjoyed the food, and I would certainly recomend it as a child friendly place, with high chairs available. The wait staff seemed real used to catering for families with kids.

I ended up ordering a generous glass of chablis to go with a cold crab and toast starter. As a main I ordered boiled beef served in its own broth. The meat literally fell apart on the touch of the fork, and was salty but not too salty. I got myself some english cheeses, biscuts and a glass of Tokaij to finish what seems to be a good start of our Easter Holiday :-)

... We also went to Giraffe, and was very pleased with the experience. We only had desserts, but my brownie was soft and full of chocolate, and the vanlillca Ice cream had real vanilla in it.

100% score for the waitstaff as well... The had fun with our little boy from the moment we got in until we left. Excellent business Idea to serve decent food in a child friendly environment. This is definitly a place where both parents and kids can have a good time.

Oh... Im not sure I would call the menu "gourmet", but who gets to decide what is and what is not... ? :-)

... And for the ultimate cereal gourmet experience, I would recommend going to "Le Pain Quotidien" and try out their "Tertines" of freshly baked sourdough artisan bread.

Im really interested in bread, and an eager home sourdough baker, so I am planning to see the best london has to offer on bakeries .-) I've been to Paul and Le Pain Quotidien, and are hoping to stop by "Baker / Spice" before we go home.

Le Pain Quotidien was also very child friendly, with a pleasant "of course, we're not mean" when I asked if they had a chair for the kid :)

I am afraid I cannot agree about Giraffe. To me it is somewhere close to hell on earth. For fast food (albeit served slowly) at a chain restaurant it is fine but its main appeal is that it is child friendly. If you like proper food, well cooked by individuals then avoid Giraffe. Particularly with an 8 month old who won't even appreciate the balloons, ketchup, colouring kit etc (much more suited for 2 through 5, imo). If you like ear splitting amounts of noise, lengthy waits, different dishes appearing at random times and a relative high bill then go right ahead.

I'd recommend dim sum at Royal China on Baker St (or other branches but I like Baker St best of them) as they love children, have plenty of high chairs and are super friendly to those with kids (they tend to be less friendly to unaccompanied grown ups!).

Otherwise anywhere with Italian staff tends to be a good bet.

We also used to take our under one year old to Matsuri on High Holborn for sushi and they were great with her. The food is fantastic too and there's very little smoke generally and they will seat you away from smokers.

I went to Giraffe today and i think its great. Wasnt that busy at lunch in Islington, maybe 10 covers so didnt experience the high pitched scream fest but the staff were excellent and the burger with chorizo was no better and no worse than ive had in any 'mid-tier' restaurant chain (i.e. not fast food/not fine dining)

I dont think our 5 month old was too interested in the balloons etc either but they managed to keep me quiet with a colouring book whilst we waited for the food so no complaints there

As an aside we got turned away from our first restaurant this week with the baby - a good quality 1* place that we tried to book for lunch but they wouldnt have it. We said we'd happily leave if she cried (she never does) so as to not annoy other diners but to no avail. So, I asked if they knew who the hell she was but they werent interested in that either :laugh: Oh well, sod em

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

As an aside we  got turned away from our first restaurant this week with the baby - a good quality 1* place that we tried to book for lunch but they wouldnt have it.  We said we'd happily leave if she cried (she never does) so as to not annoy other diners but to no avail.  So, I asked if they knew who the hell she was but they werent interested  in that either :laugh: Oh well, sod em

It's designed for older children, but has anyone tried the (one Michelin *) Roussillon "parent & child" deal recently? According to the GFG 2007, "children get their own seven course mini-gastronomic menu".

The principle sounds great. Jay Rayner went to review it a while ago with his son, and if I remember he thought that the kitchen was dealing with it brilliantly but FoH seemed to have an attitude problem about kids in the restaurant.

I met the Roussillon sommelier at a wine tasting last week and he said that they could accomodate a three year old and a five year old.

Tony Turnbull in the Times*, lists options including Rousillion (kids eat free on first and third Wednesday lunchtimes); Tamarind (kids eat free every Sunday if you order the £24 tasting menu) and Le Cercle (free for 4 to 11-year-olds every lunchtime).

* All this is predicted on not liking a meal at The Bacchus. Is it just my imagination, or is it now essential that all restaurant commentators give their opinion on Hoxton Blumenthal, no matter what context?

It's funny that you started discussing High end restaurants and children. We sat through a "Menu Prestiege" for lunch at "Gordon Ramsay's at Claridges" (1*), with our 9 month's old on Monday.

They replied "Of course", when we asked if the kid was okay, and one of the waitstaff even gave him a spoon to hammer the high-chair

with :-)

The food was amazing by the way... I wish I could afford a 220 pound sterling lunch a bit more often :-) .... And did I mention that my baby boy absolutely loved the foi gras on brioche ? :-)

Tony Turnbull in the Times*, lists options including Rousillion (kids eat free on first and third Wednesday lunchtimes); Tamarind (kids eat free every Sunday if you order the £24 tasting menu) and Le Cercle (free for 4 to 11-year-olds every lunchtime).

* All this is predicted on not liking a meal at The Bacchus. Is it just my imagination, or is it now essential that all restaurant commentators give their opinion on Hoxton Blumenthal, no matter what context?

Hadnt seen that Naebody. There must be two restaurants on Hoxton Street though because we do 2 courses and coffee for £20 so i'm not sure how they were "fleeced to the tune of £90 for two courses"? humph..... :angry:

I've found that most top places will accomodate, especially at lunch. I understand at dinner but babies are usually in bed by then anyway so dinner is rarely on the agenda.

We are off to Anthony's on Saturday lunch who have no problem with us taking the little 'un

Edited by TheBacchus (log)

<a href='http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk</a>

And it's interesting that Tamarind tweaks the menu a bit for children

Now they’ve been joined by fellow one-star Tamarind in Mayfair, which every Sunday offers a free three-course children’s meal for every adult ordering the £24 tasting menu. So while the grown-ups tuck into lamb patties with mint chutney and lamb leg with kashmiri spices and avocado coulis, the children can get to grips with melon, plum and kumquat salad and tandoori chicken with tomato and honey.

I have taken my daughter to a great number of restaurants I have visited, for both lunch and dinner. Because she has grown up eating out, experimenting and learning the etiquette of good restaurant behaviour, she has never been a problem. Most of the restaurants have been very accomodating and welcoming, some examples:

Juniper: When I asked Paul Kitching is it Ok to bring my daughter, his reply was ' Well why should the adults have all the fun...'. When we arrived he had prepared a separate gourmet menu (10 Courses) for her, with dishes such as 'posh chicken and chips, tomato sauce' and ' Snickers Creme Brulee'. He didn't charge us either.

Restaurant Sat Bains: Amanda Bains took my daughter in to meet Sat and together they designed a tasting menu, based on things she did and did not like. She still gloats to this day how she has been in a michelin kitchen. Excellent touch.

Hibiscus: Gave her three courses, and did not charge. Made to feel very welcome.

Anthony's: She had the risotto, but that did not stop the kitchen sending out amuse's,a box of homemade buttons and a chocolate and ice-cream lolly. Olga made a big fuss of her also.

Stagg Inn Titley: Again made feel very welcome and waiting staff having fun with her all night.

L'enclume: Treated really well, (although strictly underage) again given complimentary amuse and desserts.

Northcote, Heatcotes, The Star Inn.......................

I tend to think this experience creates a positive reinforcement both ways, a child gets treated well, it's parents are relaxed and the child behaves well. We are continually told by fellow diners how well behaved and adventerous she is, and I tell that is not all down to good parenting, but also good restaurant management and policy

RDB; It sounds like you are well connected :-)

Im not sure, and time will tell... But there might be a certain age range where restaurant visits can be a problem? I'm thinking of the age 1-3 where they are a bit extra restless, and at the same time not so easy to talk reason to?