• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A festive (but not too stuffy?) 50th b-day dinner?

greenwich st

We usually do Gramercy Tavern for fancy dinner -- but I've been a bit let down by the food there of late. We could dress up, it's not out of the question, but the emphasis definitely should be more on sophisticated food and pretty decor and less about scene or pomposity. We'll be taking daughter (an adventurous eater) and grandpa (visiting from Paris -- good sport). Price not a problem...any ideas?

nikkib, Cafe Gray is tempting -- I've just been put off by all the dissing of the decor. Does it bother you? My husband (being French) is very snotty about New York-style glitz. River Cafe I alway hear nice things about but somehow I imagine it being a bit too classic for us. Is the cooking creative?

Nathan, we live right near Perry Street, so I've been thinking about it (and we were definitely considering JG as an option. How do PS stand up to comparison foodwise as that would be much more relaxed and convenient?) Wallse is very friendly and prettybut has never thrilled us -- I think the food is a bit too simple (and perhaps bland) for our palates. As for Robuchon, we were just warned off by a rather surly French friend, but are curious. Have you eaten there lately?

nikkib, Cafe Gray is tempting -- I've just been put off by all the dissing of the decor.  Does it bother you? My husband (being French) is very snotty about New York-style glitz. River Cafe I alway hear nice things about but somehow I imagine it being a bit too classic for us.  Is the cooking creative?

Nathan, we live right near Perry Street, so I've been thinking about it (and we were definitely considering JG as an option.  How do PS stand up to comparison foodwise as that would be much more relaxed and convenient?)  Wallse is very friendly and prettybut has never thrilled us -- I think the food is a bit too simple (and perhaps bland) for our palates.  As for Robuchon, we were just warned off by a rather surly French friend, but are curious.  Have you eaten there lately?

I ate at Robuchon this summer and it's very good...albeit completely overpriced.

Perry Street isn't at the same level as JG but it's certainly near the top of the three star category (I live very near there as well)....I highly recommend it.

nikkib, Cafe Gray is tempting -- I've just been put off by all the dissing of the decor.  Does it bother you? My husband (being French) is very snotty about New York-style glitz. River Cafe I alway hear nice things about but somehow I imagine it being a bit too classic for us.  Is the cooking creative?

If your husband is snotty about glitz, he will probably have zero tolerance for Cafe Gray. (I should note, though, that Cafe Gray isn't really "New York-style" glitz. I'd say it's more Akron-style glitz.)

River Cafe is surprsingly good but, at least at this point, not particularly inventive.

If your husband is snotty about glitz, he will probably have zero tolerance for Cafe Gray. (I should note, though, that Cafe Gray isn't really "New York-style" glitz. I'd say it's more Akron-style glitz.)

River Cafe is surprsingly good but, at least at this point, not particularly inventive.

Ooh thats interesting you talk about the "glitz of Cafe Gray - do you mean decor or cuisine wise? I find the room quite understated and thought it was a delicious meal - as a Brit it seemed very "New York" to me if that makes sense? My sister who is not into "fancy" but loves eating well was also a huge fan. The river cafe again was very enjoyable. The views were outstanding and cuisine wise i thought everything was beautifully prepared, I had Crab stuffed shrimps with a tangerine hollandaise and Seabass with confit tomatoes, and fennel i think. Desserts were outstanding - a salted caramel and espresso concoction and everyone in my party enjoyed their food - even the notoriously fussy eaters in our group. Either would be great for a "destination" restaurant for a big birthday do but were unstuffy enough to be fun. I hope you have a great time wherever you choose :raz:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Perry Street seems like your winner, especially given geography. I'd also strongly consider Wallse.

EMP has always struck me as a more sober than festive spot... but then again, I just don't like the scale and decor of the place. The focus is also, IME, squarely on the plate, whereas Perry Street is an awfully nice place to just hang out AND eat great food.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Cru! It was one of most memorable meals I had last year (and ever, really) and there were some really good ones . . . . The food is stellar, the atmosphere is on the sedate/upscale quiet side, the service is attentive but not stuffy. Expensive but amazing.

(These request threads are so funny - we (myself included) all recommend our favorites again and again. I like Cru? Nathan likes Perry St?)

Agree with all that's been said. The food at Cafe Gray is excellent. Robuchon is ridiculously expensive and the layout of the room makes me think it might not feel special enough.

Thanks guys -- I'm now weighing Cru, Perry Street and Cafe Gray as options. We have been to JG, back in the day, and enjoyed it a lot. But something brand new seems more exciting. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't figure out what EMP is...

Thanks guys -- I'm now weighing Cru, Perry Street and Cafe Gray as options.  We have been to JG, back in the day, and enjoyed it a lot.  But something brand new seems more exciting.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I can't figure out what EMP is...

Eleven Madison Park

Brand new? I haven't been but I've been hearing (and read) good things about Anthos, Michael Psilakis new place. NY mag says if you do the the tasting, chef Psilakis will come out and rap with you a bit on the cuisine. (Je ne sais pas s'il parle francais : )

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2007/03/psilak...eek_greatn.html

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

(These request threads are so funny - we (myself included) all recommend our favorites again and again.  I like Cru?  Nathan likes Perry St?)

Ya know, I tried to start a thread to remedy that once . . . .

What? Places we hate?

Thanks eatmywords and pups -- yes, they both seem like great choices -- two that I'd love to try -- though I think my French companions may not be excited enough with these choices for this occasion. Somehow Asian-inflected food seems fancy enough, but Greek? Italian? A hard sell to my still slightly chauvinistic guy.