• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining with Dogs in Florida

annecros

Florida state law now allows dogs in outdoor dining areas.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/...ida0302-ON.html

"

Dogs, even well accessorized ones, aren't welcome at most restaurants across the country. States with about 80 percent of the U.S. population follow Food and Drug Administration recommendations, which generally bar dogs other than those that assist blind or disabled people, according to the agency's Web site.

The rules aren't always strictly enforced, though, and hundreds of restaurants look the other way, said Len Kain, owner of Dogfriendly.com, a Web site that reports on hotels and restaurants that permit animals.

That was the situation in Orlando three years ago. Some restaurants allowed pooches until health inspectors warned them to stop or they would face citations and fines.

Ryser led a petition drive to persuade the Legislature to change the state's policy. Under the resulting three-year pilot program that took effect in July, Florida municipalities can opt out of the FDA guidelines and permit dogs on decks and patios.

Anyone that has dined in Key West has experienced sharing a meal with dogs, cats and chickens. Would this ruin your dining experience if Fluffy was scarfing down kibble (or maybe even his owners table scraps) at the next table? What about older people who think of pets as children?

I very much enjoyed living in Paris with my little black Pomeranian "Wolfie". We dined together often (in the casual places, I did not bring him to dine with me in the temples of cuisine :rolleyes: ) and his adorability brought smiles to many faces.

I loved dining outside in Greece with cats wandering around my feet being decorative and entertaining.

Yes, I like the idea. Often, I prefer to look at a dog or a cat than the scenery or the people. Heh. :smile:

P.S. I just noticed your photo, Anne! Ah. Proved me wrong momentarily, for I am glad to see you! :biggrin:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

One of the reason why I don't eat out as often as I like is that I can't bring my dog. In some NYC outdoor dining places, dogs are allowed, which is one my favorite things to do on summer afternoons. It always makes me happy to eat with my monster corgi. He's really the best dining companion.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

One of the reason why I don't eat out as often as I like is that I can't bring my dog. In some NYC outdoor dining places, dogs are allowed, which is one my favorite things to do on summer afternoons.  It always makes me happy to eat with my monster corgi.  He's really the best dining companion.

They seem to be good conversation starters as well. It's easier to interact with other diners when a puppy is around to break the ice.

Yeah, Karen, that's me telling my stepdaughter to get a grip the day before her wedding in Key West! The family thinks its funny. Thanks for your kind words, but my puppy is cuter.

:biggrin:

One of my favorite aspects of dining at the resorts in Mexico was the fact birds, lizards and cats often joined diners on the patio. I enjoy being surrounded by nature as I eat and it is great for conversation.

Where I live, you always dine with animals when dining outdoors. We call them mosquitoes (and they are as big as small dogs.)

I would have no problem dining surrounded by other peole's dogs. I think many strangers can and do bond over the mutual admiration of dogs.

Sadly, I would never be able to take my own dog with me to a restaurant. If you have ever read "Marly and Me," you might have an idea of why. We failed Heppie when it comes to obedience. :raz:

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Well, Sarasota is catching a clue:

County Unleashes Doggie Dining Discussion

Following a howling blizzard of e-mails to Sarasota County commissioners from dog owners seeking permission to bring their pooches to outdoor restaurants, the commissioners unanimously authorized a public hearing Wednesday to amend a current ordinance banning the practice.

The doggy dining ordinance would be a three-year pilot program, pertaining only to restaurants that have outdoor dining areas with access directly to the street. Restaurants would have to obey specific rules and would need to apply for a $150 permit in order to admit dog lovers and their charges.

"Each restaurant would decide," County Commissioner Shannon Staub has said of the amended ordinance. "All we do is give them the ability to decide."

"What the deal is, is it's always been illegal," said County Commissioner Nora Patterson, a dog owner. "But the Health Department has never done anything about it, apparently."

Until lately, that is. Citations and/or fines have recently gone out to either dog owners or restaurants, according to Patterson.

"Traditionally, you've always been able to go with your dog on a leash," Patterson said. "The dog sits under your table and usually the waitress brings a bowl of water."