• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Springform Pan Question

Kim Shook

Ok, I just got a new set of springform pans. Out of the package they are assembled so that the edge is up - there is a lip. Not so that there is a tiny platform effect, if you can picture that. I always wonder when I am using a springform which direction is correct. Logically, it seems to me that when you have it in so that it forms a platform, it is easier to get the cake off. But they are packaged the other direction. Am I making any sense here? And does anyone know the correct way? And if it is lip up, why? :rolleyes:

Ta! Kim

I put mine with the lip down too..... plus when I make cheesecake I usually have a cake board cut to fit and put it at the bottom, so it makes it a lot easier to get under the card when it's cooked.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

You can use them either way....just make sure if you make cheesecake the lip is down, otherwise you'll never get your offset underneath to loosen the crust. Unless its firm enough to be flipped upside down. For batter cakes I just use it lip side up, it gives you a tiny bit more depth in the pan.

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Sometimes one side of the bottom piece is light colored and the other side dark, so put one or the other facing out depending on if you want to aid browning of the bottom or not.

SB :hmmm:

As we "used" to say back in the Bronx, " don worri abaut it" Either way you will do just fine.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.