• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rehearsal Dinner BYO Locale

phungi

My brother in law is planning a rehearsal dinner in September, and he lives in California. My wife (phungal) and I are helping them find a locale. Their wedding will be at the Hilton on City Ave, but the only restaurant there is DelMonico's and that is not gonna work. They estimate 50+ people, and they were thinking Yang Ming, but the cost of liquor (i.e., $18-30 for a carafe of wine) is prohibitive.

Can anyone recommend a BYO establishment that might be able to host 50ish people in the Bala Cynwyd/Main Line area?

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I cant think of a large enough BYO in that area. Chinatown has numerous places with banquet rooms that would fit the bill. Any small BYO would need to make their money for the entire evening from your party, because you would close down their restaurant during prime time. Sang Kee Asian Bistro is busy every night of the week and turns their tables over several times in an evening, so I dont think they woud work with you.

I think you should price the Manayunk Brewing Company. They have a very nice upstairs room. I attended my husband's employers Christmas Party there and it was very nice, the food was good and his administrator said the prices were very reasonable there. It is not a BYO but I doubt the wine or beer would cost as much as Yang Ming. It is very close to the Hilton on City Ave.

I think La Collina in Belmont Hills might be too expensive but you could check them out.

Conshohocken isnt too far from City Ave, about 5-10 minutes down the Schuykill. There you might check out Viggiano's or Spamps. Viggiano's has a 28 dollar per person banquet menu that looks good.

Oops! I am Sunra's wife, Chowfun (not the real Sunra of course)! I posted on his computer and he was already logged on.

Edited by sunra (log)

I cant think of a large enough BYO in that area.  Chinatown has numerous places with banquet rooms that would fit the bill.  Any small BYO would need to make their money for the entire evening from your party, because you would close down their restaurant during prime time.  Sang Kee Asian Bistro is busy every night of the week and turns their tables over several times in an evening, so I dont think they woud work with you.

I think you should price the Manayunk Brewing Company.  They have a very nice upstairs room.  I attended my husband's employers Christmas Party there and it was very nice, the food was good and his administrator said the prices were very reasonable there. It is not a BYO but I doubt the wine or beer would cost as much as Yang Ming.  It is very close to the Hilton on City Ave.

I think La Collina in Belmont Hills might be too expensive but you could check them out.

Conshohocken isnt too far from City Ave, about 5-10 minutes down the Schuykill.  There you might check out Viggiano's or Spamps.  Viggiano's has a 28 dollar per person banquet menu that looks good.

Oops!  I am Sunra's wife, Chowfun (not the real Sunra of course)!  I posted on his computer and he was already logged on.

"Chowfun, wife of Sunra" "Phungal, wife of Phungi" LOL

Too funny.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I think the new place, Margot, to which Charlie refers, would be a good idea.

Margot

232 Woodbine Ave.

Narberth, PA

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

phungi-in-law and phungal-in-law-to-be opted for Shangri La on Montgomery Avenue. She is of asian descent and liked the menu, they checked out the room and liked it, and the owners were ok with them bringing their own wine.

thanks though for your comments and suggestions!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

phungi-in-law and phungal-in-law-to-be opted for Shangri La on Montgomery Avenue.  She is of asian descent and liked the menu, they checked out the room and liked it, and the owners were ok with them bringing their own wine.

thanks though for your comments and suggestions!

If that's what the heart is set on ...... but ..... I live around the corner and it's just not all that good unless you are in a pinch. How about Sang Kee at least - in Wynnewood? That's much better fare and very close by. To really throw out an idea that is not far fecthed, Chinatown is 10 minutes from Bala (I routinely get my take out there) and opens up many more options - especially if there are discriminating asian palates to be pleased.

Dough can sense fear.