• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wikiality: Pina Colada

Over on wikipedia someone decided to change the 1950 quote about the pina colada, in which it is proven that the pina colada was invented before 1954, so that is reads "puerto rico" instead of "cuba".

...April 16, 1950, edition of the New York Times:

"Drinks in the West Indies range from Martinique's famous rum punch to Cuba's pina colada (rum, pineapple and coconut milk). Key West has a variety of lime swizzles and punches, and Granadians use nutmeg in their rum drinks."

The above is the legitimate quote, if you see it changed on wikipedia please ignore it.

Sorry, but this really annoyed me, so I thought I would mention it here.

Cheers!

George

After the incident of the Fake Professor you'd really have to wonder just how much credibility Wikipedia has.

Now I just found out that some Wikipedia editor is deleting something I put on their site; namely the first citation for the Alexander cocktail (1915). Apparently there is not enough information on the Alexander so it doesn't deserve its own page.

Those guys/gals have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

Cheers!

George

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Now the whole of the Pina Colada was "revised" to:

History

Bartender Ramón (Monchito) Marrero created this classic in 1954 at the Caribe Hilton Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico and it has since become what may just be the worlds most popular rum drink.

And so I have changed it back.

I heard a couple weeks ago that on Wikipedia the page for the celebrity Sinbad said he died, and the media was scrambling to get coverage on his death.

It's sad how:

1) a few people can ruin Wikipedia for everyone

2) How reliant the general public has become on Wikipedia