• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Food Blogs

Dave Hatfield

Once again Michelin provides some interesting information.

Here is a link to an nice article on the most popular food blogs in France.

A very quick ramble through them suggests that there's some very good stuff to be found.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here a a few other related sites that I have found useful:

http://www.fra.webcity.fr/restaurants_paris/Restaurants

which describes itself as "Le guide des restaurants de Paris". Its great advantage is that it includes details on opening hours and days of all of the listed restaurants. I don't see the reviews as cutting edge, but it does consolidate in one place much useful practical information.

Another more funky site is

http://www.restoaparis.com/restoaparis/rap...il!openform

I am not certain what its advertising policy is and therefore how objective its reviews. But a comparison of some of their reviews with those on this and other sites seems to suggest that it is not wildly off the mark. However until I learn more I would exercise caution in relying on it alone. If anyone can add more information to its provenance, please do post here. One practice does raise a question. They encourage you to mention "restoaparis" when you dine at their recommended establishments, in return you get a free kir or similar aperitif.

They seem to pay attention to new and cheaper places. So it is not just the same old, same old, regurgitated Wells and Frommer. What I also like about its reviews is that they highlight the signature dishes of each place, under the distinctive rubric: "A goûter absolument".

Edited by VivreManger (log)

Thanks vivremanger!

Here are a few great French-based blogs that are written in English.

Clotilde Dusoulier's well-known Chocolate and Zucchini from Paris

and two great contributions from eGullet members

Bleudauvergne’s Lucy's Kitchen Notebook from Lyons

and

Pastry Chef David Lebovitz’s blog from Paris: click

(I'm not sure if Clotilde Dusoulier is a member of eGullet; apologies if I got that wrong.)

Any other French-based blogs in English that people care to recommend?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 6 months later...

Several of our members have terrific ones,

Ptipois does hers in French and English

Clotilde's is in English

as is that of David Liebowitz

and Pim is often here

and former France Forum co-host Lucy

as well as Abra

and Dave Hatfield

Vinotas

and Julot's in French and English

+ Adrian Moore's

and hit chef Daniel Rose

Now like Mort Sahl I'm sure I've left someone out who'll be hurt; sorry.

As for the French blogs I'll let others fill you in.

And I'm going to start a new topic because this is really off topic but a great new one. Thanks.

Edited by John Talbott Oct 3rd-4th to include those left out, I'll keep this open to new bloggers I've missed; just tell me by PM. Tx.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris