• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Perfect French Fry?

Deldino

I am so disappointed in the fries I have had lately.

They are either to cold, to soggy, to greasy or to salty (if there could be a such a thing) :angry:

Anyway where have the fries of yesterday gone the ones that were nice and hot and crispy on the outside and soft an yummy on the inside.

Has anyone had some good fries lately , and if so please do tell.

Thanks!

The fries went away with the LARD or was that TALLOW.....sigh

a dive with week old (at least) oil helps too, have you ever noticed when even someplace with good fries sends out pale limp creatures? Its new oil day for sure.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Dave's Fries at the Englishtown Flea Market, every Saturday, since 1949.

Or Amazing Hot Dog if you're closer to Verona.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Curly's in Wildwood were always good as a kid. Haven't had them in several years so I don't know if they maintained or not.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words about our fries, we put alot of labor into them and we think it is worth it. Since the topic of great fries was brought up, I would like to put out there that NJ Monthly is asking readers to submit their nominations for the best fries in NJ. If you think we qualify, please email to fries@njmonthly.com they worded their request like this in the Cheap Eats issue:

"Where do you go for the best fries in New Jersey? And what makes them the best?"

Thank, as always, for your support.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

The fries went away with the LARD  or was that TALLOW.....sigh

a dive with week old (at least) oil helps too, have you ever noticed when even someplace with good fries sends out pale limp creatures?  Its new oil day for sure.

tracey

I don't know about you all, but I certainly don't want to eat fries in week-old oil...all burnt and smelly. If their doing a good fry business, then the oil is going to be shot in a few days.

BUT.....

There is a long-standing practice in alot of burger-and-fry joints to "seed"the new oil with a little of the old oil to help the flavor. So I understand your sentiment....

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami