• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matt's Big Breakfast & Roosevelt Tavern (Phoenix)

Matt's Big Breakfast

801 N. 1st Street ( 1st & McKinley)

Phoenix, Az.

602-254-1074

When I see a line of people spilling out into the street waiting to eat at a restaurant in Phoenix, I know the food must be good. At Matt's Big Breakfast whether it is breakfast or lunch, the food does not disapoint.

gallery_30892_4223_320390.jpg

gallery_30892_4223_850670.jpg

gallery_30892_4223_1096820.jpg

Matt and his wife Erenia serve simple food but use top-notch ingredients ( Chino Valley Ranch Eggs, Harris Ranch Beef, Terra Verde Farm Preserves, McClendon Select Produce, Wildflower Bread, The Pork Shop ). Upon entering Matt's, one can not help but think "this place is cool". The diner setting is something that harkens back to the diners of yesteryear.

gallery_30892_4223_1002210.jpg

gallery_30892_4223_718947.jpg

gallery_30892_4223_1010461.jpg

I have made my way around the menu a few times and everything comes out like that dream breakfast should. The option of hash browns or home fries is something that I appreciate because the art of the hash brown seems lost these days in most breakfast haunts.

gallery_30892_4223_90618.jpg

cheese omelette with HASH BROWNS

gallery_30892_4223_8139.jpg

French Toast with maple syrup

gallery_30892_4223_219401.jpg

waffles with pepper bacon from The Pork Shop

gallery_30892_4223_148270.jpg

Daily Special - ham, roasted jalapenos & cheddar cheese egg scramble

gallery_30892_4223_98172.jpg

The Chop & Chick - two eggs and a skillet seared Iowa pork rib chop

The lunch offerings at Matt's are equally satisfying, highlights include:

gallery_30892_4223_561286.jpg

Big Butter Burger (need I say more)

gallery_30892_4223_731095.jpg

Chili Bowl

I do not ever remember ordering or for that matter eating an egg salad sandwich but I saw one at Matt's pass me by and could not resist.

gallery_30892_4223_212739.jpg

Egg Salad Sandwich ( I added a couple strips of that Pork Shop bacon)

gallery_30892_4223_710434.jpg

Matt and the back of his wife Erenia

Matt's Big Breakfast is a great spot for lunch or dinner and now with the opening of their bar Roosevelt Tavern, you can hang with the Pool's all day!

Phoenix Best Bets:

Vu at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale

Sea Saw

Binkley's Restaurant

Zinc Bistro

Cyclo

Lo-Lo's Fried Chicken and Waffles

Kohnies-Coffee, Breakfast and Best Scones

Pizzeria Bianco

Pane Bianco - Chris Bianco's sandwich shop

Matt's Big Breakfast

Arlecchino Gelateria

The Pork Shop

Grazie Pizzeria

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 2 weeks later...

Molto e

Long lines don't guarantee good food. P. F. Changs for example. However, at Matt' Big Breakfast it does mean good eats.

And Matt's is special for me as the place that introduced me to the many wonders of The Pork Shop.

I agree about the egg salad. Who knew?

ahurwich

Edited by ahurwich (log)

[...

I do not ever remember ordering or for that matter eating an egg salad sandwich but I saw one at Matt's pass me by and could not resist.

This does look great including the bread. I might like the bread just a wee bit thinner but it looks very good.

I may link this photo to the thread on soft, squishy bread as a good example of non-Wonder, but not crusty bread!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

[...

This does look great including the bread. I might like the bread just a wee bit thinner but it looks very good.

I may link this photo to the thread on soft, squishy bread as a good example of non-Wonder, but not crusty bread!

The bread was great...stop by Matt's next Phoenix trip!!!

• 2 months later...

We had a breakfast in Phoenix which pretty much trumped all the breakfasts on our entire trip. It was had, appropriately enough at Matt's Big Breakfast on 1st Street. Matt's is another small place with limited hours. It consists of 2 small rooms and a counter, with seating for about 25-30. The delicious food at Matt's is pretty straightforward, greasy spoon-style with some important distinctions, that have to do with where they source their ingredients. For example, all eggs served at Matt's are sourced through Chino Valley Ranchers, which provides only humanely-harvested, cage-free eggs. Harris Ranch Beef Company is Matt's exclusive provider of all-natural beef. And delicious pork products served at Matt's, like bacon, ham and sausage, are sourced from The Pork Shop in nearby Queen Creek, AZ.

We arrived at about 11 am and had a very short wait for our 5-top. Service was friendly and very accomodating. The breakfast special on this day, a chili-cheese omelet, had just been 86'd but our server begged the kitchen to produce one more on our behalf and her wish was granted. A couple of us ordered the extremely tasty Five Spot, which is one egg and 2 slices of thick bacon on a kaiser-like roll, served with hash browns. 'The Hog & Chick' was another winner. It was 2 eggs, over-easy (or any style) with a beautiful slab of salty-sweet ham (or bacon or sausage) and hash browns. The Chop and Chick was 2 eggs served with a seared, bone-in Iowa pork chop and hash browns. I really enjoyed the tasty chop. In fact, all the pork products we had were fantastic. I thought the breakfast sausage was the best I'd ever had and that includes even my own, home-made version.

I can certainly appreciate a fancy breakfast and I do go out for it often enough. But I really love even more a hearty, greasy breakfast with well-cooked eggs and properly crispy hash browns. On this count, Matt's delivered big-time and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'm told that they also serve a damned fine lunch but none of us tried it on this day. And, if I return to Matt's again, I'll probably stick with breakfast because it was so great. Who knows . . . there may be a lunch at Matt's in my future, but the place is named Matt's Big Breakfast, after all.

=R=

Matt's Big Breakfast

801 N 1st St

Phoenix, AZ 85004

(602) 254-1074

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

I nominate the 5 Spot with hash browns as the number one hangover cure...two eggs and 2 slices of peppered bacon from the Pork Shop, American cheese and today there seemed to be a little sauteed onion on a kaiser roll. On my radar for the next visit are the griddlecakes, because an order came be my table and the scent was haunting...and everyone says they rock.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been to the Roosevelt Tavern? I haven't heard much besides they have very good pretzels and they have a special Four Peaks brew.

Also, so far I've had the waffle with pepper bacon, the pancakes, the chili, the butter burger and the special of the day - which was a steak (forgot which cut) benedict. The stand-out winner was a the waffle with the bacon. That is some darn tootin' good bacon. I ended up dunking the potato chips from my dining companions sandwich into the cup to get to the last bit of maple. The chili, the special and the burger were all very good, however I was disappointed in the pancakes. The taste was just OK, but the texture reminded me of the Bisquick pancakes I used to eat as a child. It was tough and dry, and the addition of copious amounts of butter and maple syrup failed to rescue it.

Another point of note is the service. We've been at varying times, from being completely full to just the early morning coffee drinkers and the service has always been very slow. It's not just the preparation of the food, I would wait an hour for the food to be made, but I don't like waiting 20 minutes for a coffee refill, to get my bill or to be even acknowledged with a "good morning". I don't know if it's just the experience that we've had; I usually don't hear many people talk about the service. I've never seen them run more than two servers a morning and I know that can be rough so I'm just chalking it up to a dearth of servers.

Has anyone been to the Roosevelt Tavern?  I haven't heard much besides they have very good pretzels and they have a special Four Peaks brew. 

Also, so far I've had the waffle with pepper bacon, the pancakes, the chili, the butter burger and the special of the day - which was a steak (forgot which cut) benedict.  The stand-out winner was a the waffle with the bacon.  That is some darn tootin' good bacon.  I ended up dunking the potato chips from my dining companions sandwich into the cup to get to the last bit of maple.  The chili, the special and the burger were all very good, however I was disappointed in the pancakes.  The taste was just OK, but the texture reminded me of the Bisquick pancakes I used to eat as a child.  It was tough and dry, and the addition of copious amounts of butter and maple syrup failed to rescue it. 

Another point of note is the service.  We've been at varying times, from being completely full to just the early morning coffee drinkers and the service has always been very slow.  It's not just the preparation of the food, I would wait an hour for the food to be made, but I don't like waiting 20 minutes for a coffee refill, to get my bill or to be even acknowledged with a "good morning".  I don't know if it's just the experience that we've had; I usually don't hear many people talk about the service.  I've never seen them run more than two servers a morning and I know that can be rough so I'm just chalking it up to a dearth of servers.

The Tavern has well-done old school snacks...spicy Niman Ranch franks and beans, chips with maui onion dip and blue cheese dip, GREAT grilled sandwiches esp. the fried bologna and Norcino (Italian cold cuts), San Marzano tomato soup with grilled cheese AND most of all a great selection of COLD beer.

As far as Matt's... I have not had the service issues that you speak of, the nature of the place because of it's size is to turn the table so I have found the servers to be attentive. That is the first knock against the pancakes that I have heard, most people seem to rave about them. I have not tried them as of yet, but I am sure my fork will find them soon.

• 4 weeks later...

With all these rave reviews I'm thinking we must have gone on a very off day. He had the waffle, a couple eggs, and bacon with potatoes. The waffle was dry, the eggs were great and the bacon and potatoes were both way over done. I had the burger with blue cheese and it was just meh. The DH does a far better job with keeping them juicy at home. I dunno, we weren't inspired to go back, especially since it took over 30 minutes to get in the door. Maybe we'll have to give it another shot sometime.

With all these rave reviews I'm thinking we must have gone on a very off day.  He had the waffle, a couple eggs, and bacon with potatoes.  The waffle was dry, the eggs were great and the bacon and potatoes were both way over done.  I had the burger with blue cheese and it was just meh.  The DH does a far better job with keeping them juicy at home.  I dunno, we weren't inspired to go back, especially since it took over 30 minutes to get in the door.  Maybe we'll have to give it another shot sometime.

That is too bad, usually I leave Matt's very happy and I have ordered the 5 Spot the last 4 times that I went there. The next time that I order the burger, I will orger it medium-rare but they serve it med-well normally. Next time you are in the area, give Matt's another go (and if that is at night time try the Tavern).

With all these rave reviews I'm thinking we must have gone on a very off day.  He had the waffle, a couple eggs, and bacon with potatoes.  The waffle was dry, the eggs were great and the bacon and potatoes were both way over done.  I had the burger with blue cheese and it was just meh.  The DH does a far better job with keeping them juicy at home.  I dunno, we weren't inspired to go back, especially since it took over 30 minutes to get in the door.  Maybe we'll have to give it another shot sometime.

That is too bad, usually I leave Matt's very happy and I have ordered the 5 Spot the last 4 times that I went there. The next time that I order the burger, I will orger it medium-rare but they serve it med-well normally. Next time you are in the area, give Matt's another go (and if that is at night time try the Tavern).

I know at least one time when you likely did not find it memorable. No fault of Matt's but maybe the company talking your ear off. :laugh:

Robert R

I know at least one time when you likely did not find it memorable. No fault of Matt's but maybe the company talking your ear off. :laugh:

LOL . . . and there was also that time I made him share all his pork products. I know that couldn't have been pleasant for him, regardless of the huge portion sizes :laugh::raz:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

LOL . . . and there was also that time I made him share all his pork products. I know that couldn't have been pleasant for him, regardless of the huge portion sizes :laugh::raz:

=R=

Please...I could go for Matt's right now, but it does not open until the AM...though the Tavern could be a good call.

• 3 weeks later...

Roosevelt Tavern

(602) 254-2561

816 N. Third St

Sunday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM,

Tuesday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM,

Wednesday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM,

Thursday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM,

Friday: 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM,

Saturday: 5:00 PM - 2:00 AM

The Roosevelt has become one of my favorites in town, especially if I am downtown then a stop is obligatory. I found the perfectly frosty brews served at the Roosevelt to be a welcome respite from our hot summer. Besides the beverages the Roosevelt has some simple well crafted snacks that I find myself craving so that says something about the "tasty quotient" of the fare that Matt and his wife Ernie turn out.

gallery_30892_4223_294802.jpg

gallery_30892_4223_37161.jpg

Menu

The Roosevelt is located in an old house that the Pool's renovated and each room has its' own charm and vibe. When I go for snacks the back room has a communal table and that serves as the dining area. I will post some snacks from a recent meal at the Roosevelt:

gallery_30892_4223_219615.jpg

gallery_30892_4223_371900.jpg

Chips and Dips

kettle chips served with pan-roasted sweet onion and Maytag blue cheese dips

The sweet onion dip is very addictive! I have ordered this everytime that I have gone to the Roosevelt for eats.

gallery_30892_4223_447139.jpg

"Ham and Eggs"

sliced sugar-cured ham with three cage-free deviled eggs, prepared Southern style

tasty

gallery_30892_4223_823225.jpg

Big Fat Pretzel

fresh and salted hand twisted pretzel served warm with two mustards

This is another must get if you are a hot pretzel fan.

gallery_30892_4223_429616.jpg

Campfire Beans and Franks

hot and smoky baked beans with sliced Niman Ranch hot dogs

This breaks the mold of the sweet franks and beans that I am not a fan or, this dish has a ZING that is very appealing.

gallery_30892_4223_715655.jpg

Grilled Cheese and Creamy Tomato Soup

fontina and gruyere cheeses on Pullman bread with San Marzano tomato soup

This is so old school...great grilled cheese sandwich on fantastic bread with a tasty tomato soup.

gallery_30892_4223_875750.jpg

The Norcino

prosciutto di parma, soppressata, mortadella and aged provolone with marinated cherry peppers on a grilled panini roll

Another great grilled sandwich...do not miss the fried bologna sandwich

This is just a peek as to what is going on down at the Roosevelt, do yourself a favor and drop on in for a spell.

Edited by molto e (log)

• 1 month later...

So who submitted Matt's Big Breakfast to "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives"?

My first visit to MBB was today around 1:30ish PM and found the a sign outside that taping for the show was being held.

I sat on the counter watching the camera crew cramp themselves in the tiny kitchen and being in the way of the cooks.

The Chop and Chick was delicious though. I could have eaten a second plate.

Edited by Greystreet (log)