• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooks Hamaker (Mayhaw Man) Steps Down

Chris Amirault

Since I tend to surf only a few of the eG Forums regularly, I know I've missed some wonderful and gut-wrenching contributions from you, but what of yours I have seen speaks volumes.

It's an ill wind that blows no good, and the good that will come from this is that you will be a more frequent contributor to the conversation.

Maybe I will learn to love okra in its unaccompanied state someday (I tend to at least combine it with tomatoes when I prepare it). Okay, fried okra is plenty tasty. And yes, cake is better than pie--pumpkin pie excepted.

Good luck, and I hope you continue to maintain your good humor through what is obviously going to be a long, slow, painful recovery that may never be complete.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Wow, the times they are a changin'. I'm sorry to hear that you too had to succumb to the demands of working for money, but I understand and empathize. I don't know how to give proper tribute to you; you are someone who IS eGullet. I thank you for everything, especially Brooksie's Seafood Gumbo. I wish you the best.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.