• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Food Media

philadining

I didn't get to go down to the auditorium, but I did get to hear him with the rest of the huge crowd in the front lobby. He was nice enough to personalize the 6 or 7 books I'd lugged along. He's more handsome in person than in his books or on TV. It was a very nice day.

Thanks, Tony, and I hope you'll come back to Philly when you can spend more time here,

I wish people would line up to get into the library on any normal day like they did yesterday!

It was FRIDAY night that he was spotted at Supper...

Whoops, careless reading on my part!

Still, someone else asked him what he thought about Philadelphia restaurants, and he said he hadn't eaten here in a long time, so he simply didn't have an opinion.

While it's certainly possible that he was in town on friday night and was taken out somewhere, I would think he would have mentioned it then: "I don't really know Philly restaurants, but I ate at ___ last night and it was ___" or something.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

The customers that told me that story said they weren't 100% positive, but pretty sure (80% certainty) it was him. I figured it was, because I knew he was in town for the Library event the following afternoon, even if they didn't. But they could have been wrong. Or Tony could've been being polite or not necessarily remembered the name of the place he'd eaten and didn't want to open that particular can of worms. Maybe he's had his discussions veer off topic when those sorts of questions were asked in the past. For a guy with some strong opinions and little difficulty sharing them, no matter how rude or impolitic, I find it difficult to believe he "has no opinion". Sounds like a "lets-move-this-along-so-I-can-get-the-fuck-outta-here" kind of answer to me, but maybe he really hasn't eaten here. Who knows? :shrug:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

man this shit was crazy crowded, it was more packed than when i went to see kurt vonnegut there like 8-10 years ago. i thought he was pretty funny, smart, honest, all the stuff that makes his show good. some of the questions were a bit painful, like do you like cheesteaks? yawn. and the previously mentioned i go to culinary school and whats your advice on becoming rachael ray, i wish he would have just told her to kill herself. i did like that someone brought up that awful sitcom based on kitchen confidential.

i kind of always like him how he just seems like a real dude how he could be working the line next to you making jokes about abortion or whatever horriblly offensive topic, but in the next breath be talking about some raymond carver short story.

I didn't make it to the Library event, but years ago when Anthony was in town at Blue Angel for Book and Cook, I got to hang out with him - post event.

Food was not on his mind, as we were drinking Yuenglings, all he wanted to know was where the chefs and waitstaffs hung out after work :)

Jennie Hatton

Profile PR

I have the best job ever :)

Michael Klein has a different story today...

"After regaling the Free Library crowd with tales of culinary derring-do Saturday, food adventurer/personality Anthony Bourdain visited the Rose Tattoo (19th and Callowhill Streets). Server Leanne McGinley says he needed no menu and ordered chili and raw oysters, plus Yuenglings."

Inqlings 12/4

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Oh, I'm so disappointed.

The Rose Tattoo?

Ugh.

I worked there over 20 years ago (didn't you also, Katie?) when it was only the right side of the building as you walked in.

Ugh.

I guess he wanted to go someplace right next to where he was. A block away, literally.

Philly Francophiles

Nope. I never worked at the Rose Tattoo. My only stop in that area was the London Grill.

I don't think the Rose Tattoo is that bad, I just think Bourdain could've done a lot better for his (possibly) only meal in Philly.

Sounds like he missed drinking Yeugling. :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Has anyone thought to send a PM to Bourdain on eG, as he is a regular poster on these boards? Might clear up any questions as to when and where he was while in Philly.

He could have done a lot worse than the Rose Tattoo, an underrated restaurant IMHO. I dont know what it's like since Sean Weinberg left as the chef a coupla years ago, but I've always thought it was a damn fine casual under the radar place to eat.

Funny anecdote about Bourdain: got into a profane, beer-fueled conversation (yes, utilizing many Yuenglings) with him at one of the annual press parties for The Book and The Cook at Jack's Firehouse. we debated how, as a chef, he could even TASTE his cooking after all of the cigs he smoked. Claimed he had a better palate than mine, having never met me before that night. He also autographed the upper portion of a female fan's breast while standing at the bar next to me. "Even SHE knows I have a better palate than you, Richard." he said triumphantly. The guy's a hoot.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 1 month later...

Anyone make it to the Pollan talk? I showed up at the stroke of 7, but the Library's doors were already closed and locked. About 100 or so unhappy folks were milling about on the front steps. From what I could spy, it was similar to the Bourdain event, with the first-floor seating accomodating overflow. However, there didn't seem to be as many people standing as at Bourdain, which was really full. Maybe it's a fire code thing. Still, it was great to see such a big turnout for Pollan in our fair city.