• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

beyond Jell-O

Eden

I need to add a bunch of gelatin into my diet for the next month or two, and while I enjoy Jell-O as a once-in-a-long-while nostalgia treat, I'm pretty sure I'll get bored of it quickly, so I'm wondering what else I can make with gelatin in it?

Terrines seem a bit fussy for my hectic life right now, I'd like to find comparatively simple - sweet or savory and fish/seafood free...

thanks for any help!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Can you thicken sauces with gelatin?

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Depending on why and how much you need to add, you can purchase gelatin as a nutritional supplement...at health food stores and those places that sell body building supplements. Is that something that might work better for you rather than trying to add a bunch of food that you may not want to add?

Be that as it may, there are a lot of recipes here for gelatin based dishes, even a pizza crust with gelatin in it and some raspberry brownies!

Gelatin Recipes

You can also just dissolve gelatin in juice or water - you just have to drink it before it sets.

edited for spelling

Edited by Badiane (log)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

You can, i'm pretty sure buy gelatin vitamin supplents although i know thats not really the spirit inj which your thread was started..

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

What CAN'T you make with gelatin in it might be a better question; just ask a vegan how hard it is to avoid.

The caplets would probably be the best solution if you need to add a significant amount of it to your diet, however. Anything that contains a lot of gelatin is probably going to end up being a lot like the Jell-O you're trying to avoid.

How about a nice little tomato aspic salad that you can serve either as a lunch meal or a dinner salad. Low fat, filling without being bloating. Plus, you get your gelatin. For variety, top with some crabmeat or shrimp.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

thanks for the various suggestions. I literally had no idea gelatin was available as a supplement so I will probably explore that - plus the raspberry brownies! :biggrin:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

How about a nice little tomato aspic salad that you can serve either as a lunch meal or a dinner salad.  Low fat, filling without being bloating.  Plus, you get your gelatin.  For variety, top with some crabmeat or shrimp.

This sounds wonderful; one could also make the aspic spicy as well.

I wouldn't mind getting my dairy (and gelatin) supplement each day with a panna cotta for dessert or breakfast. For variety try regular milk (organic), buttermilk and goat milk and garnish or not with different fruits or fruit sauces. These are easy to make up in series of ramekins or other dessert dishes and keep well, covered.

Besides Jello, you can make some citrus-flavored gelatins using citrus juice and unflavored gelatin.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

i used to make lemon charlotte russe when i worked in restaurants years ago. it used plain gelatin or sheets. if you like i probably could dig up my old formula.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

^ooh.. That brings up the whole category of Bavarian Creams which can be used in Charlotte Russe as suzilightning just mentioned but which are also nice on their own or served with some fruit or fruit sauce.

Rum, vanilla, chocolate, mocha, or any number of fruit Bavarian Creams with pureed fruit folded in (bananas or berries or peaches or apricots...)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"